IH and JD rod length September 19, 2010 12:25PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows the connecting rod length of the IH DT466 and JD 466

Re: IH and JD rod length September 19, 2010 12:39PM
Red 466 is 8.44 and Green 466 is 8.75

Re: IH and JD rod length March 02, 2013 08:53AM
any other differences? can they be interchanged? for example running a jd rod on ih crank and piston?

Re: IH and JD rod length March 02, 2013 09:16AM
JD rod needs crank journal machined to fit IH its too wide but will work fine

Re: IH and JD rod length March 02, 2013 09:19AM
how much maching we talkin? use jd bearings or they interchangeable?

Re: IH and JD rod length March 02, 2013 09:26AM
I have a set of Deere rods that are already machined to run on the IH crank. They have like new standard rod bearings in them and are ready to run. $1000 for the set shipped to you. 8.75 long. Perfect rods to build a long rod engine. 608-317-7321 call or text anytime.

Re: IH and JD rod length March 02, 2013 03:56PM
Edge of rod bolts might have to be ground down to keep them from hitting block.

Re: IH and JD rod length March 02, 2013 04:24PM
The rod bolt on the cam side needs to have the crown champfered for clearance. Not a big deal.

Re: IH and JD rod length August 07, 2013 12:02AM
All the sets that I have seen always ran the deere rod bearing in the deere rod. Are the deere rods better? A matter of opinion I guess. Deere rods seem to be of two common types. Solid and hollowed center main beams. I'm not afraid of either design. Both work just fine. Once you go above the limits of a forged rod, all bets are off.

Re: IH and JD rod length August 06, 2013 03:56PM
farmboy
I was just wondering if anyone knows the connecting rod length of the IH DT466 and JD 466

Are the jd rods better than a 407 rod? Strength?

Re: IH and JD rod length August 07, 2013 05:26AM
with the deere rods what are the combo's cid wise can you get .For ex. 466 standard bore with the deere rods at 8.75 length.Also do you have to get custom pistons made or are there other ones you can use??? thanks always wonder about this combo

Re: IH and JD rod length August 07, 2013 01:29PM
Conn rod length doesn't change cid. Only changing stroke and bore size changes cid. You can run whatever cid you want with
whatever limits you have on clearance inside the block. You will have to get custom pistons made if using a conn rod from a different engine
( jd into ih). The compression height and deck heights are different on both engines. Don't remember the height differences off hand. As stated before
the big end width needs changed and sometimes the small end of the conn rod will have to be narrowed for clearance. Someone said something about
like new rod bearings; never reuse bearings if swaping to a different engine. It's trouble waiting to happen.
Subject of which rod is better. Both the 407 and jd rod are good rods. I don't recommend jd rod with thru oil hole. It's always good to go the extra route
and have the conn rods heat treated and have them remachined by a Professional and Reputable Machine Shop. Make sure quality
hardware is used ( ARP or bolts from Riverside). I have seen heat treated 407 rods take a lot of abuse.
Two more things. The longer the rod the better, less stress on piston. Also side clearance on big end of rod no more than .020" and that is the
absolute max
When doing engine builds make sure to ask around several machine shops. I have seen many people taken to the cleaners and mislead by
fualty information.
Best of luck

Re: IH and JD rod length September 24, 2013 12:38PM
I'm interested in knowing more about which JD rods are used to do what's been discussed above. I have a set of JD 466 rods (67320 on the beam, no thru hole) that have a 1.875" wrist pin. What number or for what application are the ones with the 1.625 wrist pin?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009