Pressed steel wheels October 29, 2013 02:51PM
I have a set of 18.4x38 steel pressed wheels and i am wondering what the best way of cuting the centers out and making them a deep dish style? i have seen people do it, but i dont know if you have to have new rims and transplant the centers to the new rims or if you can cut the centers and turn them around.
Thanks, Mike

Re: Pressed steel wheels October 29, 2013 03:53PM
Cut the centers out and grind the weld off the rims smooth. Buy new centers and put them where ever you want them.

Re: Pressed steel wheels October 29, 2013 04:29PM
Just take a torch and cut the spot weld out. some have 3 spot welds and some have 2 oval spot welds. then just lay the wheel down on the side and take a block of wood and a sledg hammer and nock them out, but becareful and dont hit in one spot too much you could dent the center and stay close to where the spot weld was. all you have to do is weld up the holes and grind smooth. some times they can be a pain to get started back in the wheels just take a flapper disk and clean the centers up really good before you start back in with them.

Re: Pressed steel wheels October 31, 2013 12:48AM
Also consider that they may not be welded, if still a factory width (15, 16 inch, It should be a 16" rim for an 18.4-38). They might have rivets holding the center in place. Just grind the heads of the rivets, then use a punch and hammer to knock the rivets out. Then you can reposition the center where you want (or use different centers) and weld them back in or drill new holes and rivet them back in. But I think welding would be better for a high horsepower application.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009