DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 08, 2013 03:28AM
Not sure how this fourm setup works. move accordingly.

Building up a 1988 DTA466 for my IH travelette, the MW pump has been juiced up 75% over stock, injectors opened and pressure matched. I haven't planned on any valve spring or pushrod modifications unless someone thinks it'd be a good idea. Not building a drag truck or hardcore puller, aiming for 500 hp daily driver/tow rig and take it to the local pulls. Now I've tried Garrett's turbo calculator but could never really figure it out, I'm completely fine with paying for a brand new ball bearing turbo so I can sleep at night knowing its new. I had a mild built 7.3 psd and that thing ate turbos like crazy (used low miles and rebuilt ones. Don't want to go through that again). Now with what I have done to it has anyonewith built up a 466 for something like this? what recommendations do you have? I don't want to run twins, hoping I can find one big enough to light quick and waste gate it so I don't over spool it and I don't want it smoking like a freight train. Thanks for taking time to read this guys!

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 08, 2013 07:33AM
Ok,so you supposedly have fuel set at 75% over stock! but you do not want it to smoke? Those two do not go well together.
It'll be a killer project, may want to join pirate4x4.com, they have an IH forum that would love this. BinderPlanet would also be a good site, just make sure to post up in the skunk works area, the old codgers in the restore part of BP will have a friggin stroke. Only saving grace, is it is an IH power plant in an IH.
Can't help on turbo size.
Where are you located, might be some diesel shops close that could help out.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 08, 2013 07:51AM
Well I told the pump builder I had a goal of 500 rear wheel horsepower and he worked his magic and that's all he told be was it'll flow 75% more. I'm a member of pirate, every time you ask a question there, it's 1 knowledgeable answer and 10 smart ass bashing comments. I don't go there much to say the least. I'm a member of the binder planet and there's not a lot of action there if its not a pure stock rebuild. Once you bump up fuel or do any performance stuff there's mass confusion. I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania and I haven't found any credible diesel outfits. I'm just hoping I can get enough air to cleanup the fuel. I play with the old 6.9/7.3s and can get plenty of useable power with a modded injection pump and clear up the smoke with a little, laggy turbo. I'm not afraid to spend some money on a nice turbo so I know what I have will suit the pump.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 08, 2013 09:20AM
We've run HX-52's off of 12 litre Volvo's on both IH and Deere 466's with good results, I believe they are 2.8 on the exhaust exducer with a 16cm housing and 2.6 on the intake inducer. 3598947 is the holset number for one of them, there is another one that has a billet wheel, I don't have that number handy. That size would probably be a good starting point.

There's lots of guys in your area running pulling tractors with similar setups, I'd say just about every IH with a 400 series engine has a 466 or better in it around your area, the guys running 13mm rotary pumps are probably in the 450-550 hp range.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 09, 2013 12:45AM
The HX-52 is a good choice. I would also recommend looking at either a S300 or S400 Borg Warner/Schwitzer frame. You'd be best suited with with either a 64 or 66mm inducer on the compressor side and around a 74mm to a 80mm(somewhere in the range) exducer turbine wheel. A .90 A/R ratio should be tight enough to spool quickly yet still flow good on the top end.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 09, 2013 06:04AM
Thanks for the tips guys, keep the ideas coming. Now are those ball bearing ball bearing? Or can I match to a similar ball bearing style.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build October 31, 2013 07:11AM
talked to the guy that built my pump. he said it's good for a MAX rpm of 2400, and Max of 176cc's of fuel. don't think that'll EVEN SCRATCH 500 hp..... ANY IDEAS HOW TO BUMP THEM UP MORE??

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build November 02, 2013 03:32PM
I was wondering how you were going to get 500hp out of an mw pump.they were on late 5488s and 7140 magnums.you couldn't get much over 300hp out of them stock.I would just put an p pump or 7100 on it.also why did u have turbo problems with you're PSD?we have h2 holsets on our psds.we got them from hypermax with bigger injectors and tuner.we have any turbo problems.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build November 03, 2013 11:46AM
Sooo that's all I can get from a MW then? Ugh. And I'm not sure what was going on, I think the constant 35+ lbs of boost. 2 were stock turbos and one was off an IH with the smaller exhaust housing so the boost was instant.

Re: DTA466 turbo sizing info for pickup truck build November 05, 2013 12:35PM
Try the S362 turbo its a stock replacement turbo with billet wheel and its what we are running on a 466 making good horsepower.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro