Rear end, transmission oil. March 01, 2014 02:37AM
What is a good oil weight for use in the differential, final drives, and say a pro fab transmission? This is a IH. Some say 90 weight. But these ran hytran in the field. I would think the thinner the less drag. Thanks.

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 01, 2014 03:42AM
This is a good question. No doubt the lighter oil results in less drag. What I was told by the Cenpeco rep was that hytran was 20w. He claimed that that was the reason why IH allways had so many rear end problems in the field. It didn't "stick" to or "climb" well to the gears. I am running 80-90 in mine for that reason along with another. The other reason is that it stays in the rear better due to the modifications I have done to the top cover, input shafts, seals and etc.. It still leaks after I have pulled and on the trailer due to the heat it has generated. I have a piece of plywood screwed to my trailer floor right under the transmission housing so that when we are hauling it, it leaks on the plywood and not the floor. It's not a bad leak, but I don't want an oily trailer. Hytran, would be a lot worst for that.
I am not trying to sell Cenpeco, in fact I am not running Cenpeco 80-90 in the rear or tranny. But I do run their engine oil.
I do run their hydraulic oil in the farm tractors and have never had a problem and I think it is a little heavier weight than hytran.
Hope this helps some.

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 01, 2014 02:11PM
your trailer always looks clean to me

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 01, 2014 03:27PM
I run Shell Spirax 75W-90. It is a full synthetic. I have run it for 3 years in the Profab and rearend of my 4.1 tractor. No problems. In reference to Hy-Tran I have used it for 35 plus years with no problems but I'm pretty picky about following service intervals.

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 02, 2014 12:02AM
We use AMSOIL synthetic SVG 75w90 in our rear end and Pro Fab on Hurricane Allis. Excellent gear oil with extreme pressure additives and heat rejection qualities. Feel free to contact me at tadomann@yahoo.com or 913-433-4826 if u have questions or would like to try some AMSOIL. You won't be disappointed.

Todd

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 02, 2014 12:39AM
It's nasty outside on this Sunday morning with snow, sleet in central Il. what better to do then read the the forum. While on the subject of oil, I have a question for all of you. What does the letter "w" stand for in like 10w40, 15w40 types of oil? The answer may not be what most of you think it is.

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 02, 2014 12:53AM
The W stands for winter. The number before the W is the viscosity of the oil at 0 degrees and the number after the W stands for the viscosity at 212 degrees.

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 02, 2014 02:09AM
J&R machine you guys are good! You"d be surprised how many times i ask that question to farmers whenthey come into the shop 99% will say weight.

Re: Rear end, transmission oil. March 02, 2014 06:54AM
What can I say, I used to be an Amsoil dealer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,763, Posts: 229,924, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,020.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM