Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 03:40AM
Needing a sled to rent on june 12.. Any suggestions would be great and the number to get a hold of them.. The pull is in east central Illinois Thank you.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 03:59AM
where is the pull?? my suggestion is Mike Hillary MEAN GREEN sled, he has a great sled and does a great job. along with all that you (do not) get a bossy know it all sled orperator that tries to run your pull .Mike treats everyone fair and does not do any thing that would that might determin the out come of the pull. there is a sled in central Illinois that I suggest you do NOT hire, thats all.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 09:42AM
If you are not having a organization type pull, then I suggest talking to the pullers in your area that will be attending your event. I bet 95% of them will tell you "not" to book the the sled from the Strausburg area. Good luck!

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 10:44AM
Sorry, no phone number information but some of the best to work with sled guys I have worked with from east of Iowa are;
Tom Venheisun, Lowry brothers.
Both know how their sleds need set and worked with our folks really well.
I've worked with Tom the most, (of those mentioned so far) and you will not find a nicer person to work with !!!! And I'm not talking Illinois, I'm talking the whole dang planet!
John Vandee Voorde in eastern Iowa is super to work with also. (Magnum sled). Stanley, Iowa.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 10:57AM
What is wrong with the sled from Strasburg Il ?

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 11:37AM
To answer your question on what is wrong with the the strasburg sled. 1) It's out dated for today type of pulling. 2) The operator plays a roll in the finishing order. How you might ask, well either by appling the brakes or when relaying the pullers distance to the announcer it just might be a few feet short. I would like to see a different sled at our area pulls.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 17, 2010 03:27PM
Are you sure you are not confused about a few facts? I googled your zip to find out the area you are from. You refer to the type of pulling done today.You do realize most of the tractors are 35+ years old that are pulling in this area, so the type of pulling is still the same. Along with type of pulling being the same the crying and complaining is the same as it was 35 years ago, nothing new. I question as to whether you may have confused this sled with the one that Montrose uses; (well last year anyway) seems they do not have same sled two years in a row If you have been to pulls where other sleds are you must have noticed the amount of damage done to the pullers equipment, ask pickup pullers whose sled they want to hook and which ones they won't. I know for a fact the pulls in this area that the Strasburg sled is at have had an increase in hooks, while the one it does not do, has been decreasing. I believe there are going to be two or more new pulls in this area this year. So using Log Wagon's figures, the pulls that hooked 270 + will only have about 20 pullers (95% stay away because of sled) if the Strasburg sled is used: I think not. This sled and it's owner is one of the reasons there are so many pulls in this area.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 05:24AM
I will agree with half of your information most of the equipment at these pulls are 35+ years old BUT, they sure as the heck have done alot of upgrades to the power plants (current technology) and even some have started putting in half gears in the trany. The pullers attend the events in order to help raise money and help support the local festivals. I would like to ask you a question. Why is this sled not doing as many itpa hooks anymore? (several of the ipta class have vehicles that are 35+ years old to)You would think that going to an event and hooking 35-50 vehicles in an evening would be a lot easier on equipment than spending all day at an event that has 270 hooks.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 08:56AM
These local pulls are a cart and a horse arrangement. The pullers need a place to pull and the festivalls need the pullers. I am not sure what half gears are, maybe I know them as splitter gears as used in the 2+2 tractors. I know there have been upgrades in the pulling equipment. You question why this sled does not do only ITPA pulls. Why does a person spend $35,000 for an ITPA engine and get a gaurenteed amont for placing. Another person spends the same $35,000 and only win 25% of the hook fee for that class (10 tractors, $50.00 for first) ITPA gets that much for last. My point is both of these pullers are doing what they want to do. It is their right. Just because this sled may not hook all ITPA pulls does not make it lesser than other sleds. It is his right. If you attended the Effingham county fair the night the ITPA pickups pulled you seen what happens when you get a sled operator that does not care. This sled and it's owner is one of the reasons there are so many local pulls in this area. You are totally wrong when you make accusations you did against this man. You can solve your problem one of two ways: 1 Start pulling ITPA 2: By all means continue to not hook at any pull this sled comes to. I like both ITPA and BRUSH pulling when people come to have fun and enjoy the sport: not when folks come to grip and barb others. Enuff said

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 09:56AM
Please enlighten me on what happened at the effingham county fair on the night that the itpa trucks ran. Are you making the same type of accusations agianst that sled operator. "sled operator that doesn't care" Is that your opinoin? You have the right to voice your opinion just like I have the right to voice mine!

The local pulls are somewhat pressured by the Strasburg sled to have him at their event and, if they choose to have another sled (which is their choice, Montrose). He then conviences another event 40 minutes to the north to move their pull to the same date as Montrose and tries to pull pullers away from the Montrose event. Now is that anyway to treat an event holder who was your customer.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS March 30, 2014 02:42AM
Just to add to the conversation! I highly recommend the heaven bound sled... We pull trucks and it is the only one we like to hook up too! Larry is a fair and nice guy and loves the sport just as much if not more than the pullers and is not out to "cheat" anyone! So before you go bad mouthing him u might want to get your facts straight bc here in central il that's the only sled we want!

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 12:13PM
to answer illinois puller i would call mike hillary 815-383-5283 or brian neal 937-483-6100. I pull in cental to southern il and perfer to hook to their sleds. i also don't mind hooking to a lowry sled. Our organization hooks to these sleds about 50% of the time. almost all the guys i pull with wish it was 100% of the time. good luck

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 01:06PM
thank you for the information.. 62462 and big nut carb you both have your reasons for liking or disliking certain sled operators.. But what people need to realize is that pulling is a sport that is getting bigger every day and that all of this Bitching back and forth doesn't help[ the sport move forward.. I believe that both of you are probably right but both are probably wrong.. Pulling needs to get back to fun and honesty.. if anyone on here went to gordyville i think they saw some of the best pulling ever.. the finals were wonderful and the competetion was great.. i hope everyone can agree to disagree and still mange to get along for the sport.. I am not saying you have to love them but respect there opinoin and go on.. Thank you for all the great information and i hope to see everyone in louisville..

Illinois Puller

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 02:24PM
62462, not sure what you pull, but we have pulled with the strasburg sled and he has been nothing but very friendly, helpful, and forthcoming with any info asked of. This past year I have hooked to 4 or 5 different sleds and his was the best and I pulled ALL of the pulls in that area. Mont Rose I was not happy with and if there is an alternative, I will most likely not be back. The drinking amongst the tractor pullers before they pull needs to stop.

Anyways, to whoever reads this Strasburg area sled is good to work with, good to pull with, and I look forward to pulling where he is the sled in 2010.

Also,how bout a listing of ALL Illinois sleds?

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 19, 2010 12:18PM
if u think that sled is good ur standards are really LOW because with him a working transmission is apparently optional

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 19, 2010 03:17PM
I am sure another sled from wi. would be ok with you though.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 24, 2010 12:41PM
I've pulled Heaven Bound many times and have had nothing but good experiences with it? It pulls smooth and he doesn't try to burn everyone off the line like other sleds in the area (Otwell for example). He' been nothing but friendly to those I pull with in the area.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 18, 2010 02:43PM
Illinois puller; I am not real sure and maybe shouldn't say this but could be the BIG NUT CARB just might be the sled operator inwhich 62462and BIG NUT CARB are talking about.it seems kinda funny how CARB knows so much about that sleds business. going by what I know and what I heard that sled and operator were asked not to come back to mount rose, I was told that he was in the middle of a BIG controversy. Its too bad the man doesn't known when he should keep his nose out of the pull and operate his sled. thats all I have to say on this!!!

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 19, 2010 02:59PM
I bet yall that are complaining about this mans sled or any sled for that matter will most likely be hooking to their sled this summer. FYI to any and all, you cant have a 100,000 dollar sled and only get a small flat fee and a portion of the hook and make money. This is supposed to be for fun and enjoyment guys, not for putting people down for doing something they enjoy.

Oh and Ilfordpuller, I know his sled is a decent sled because I hooked to it probably close to 20 or so times in 2009.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 20, 2010 05:21AM
farmboy,

you must pull in a 10-12 mph class. i have hooked to this sled more than 15 times per years for the last 18 years and i have seen a lot of funny things happen.
a 100,000.00 sled would at least be dependable and not have tranny issues motor missing cuttin out and back firing problems every year.
what is your idea of a small flat fee and a portion of the hook fees?

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 20, 2010 12:14PM
I was not meaning to ruffle any feathers. I have hooked mph classes and open classes and he has handled them well. Just saying you cant have an NTPA caliber sled when the hook fees are 20 dollars. Got to remember there is much overhead to having a sled. Upkeep, fuel in semi, tires for semi, insurance, etc. Thats just a few off the top of my head. I'm just glad this sled is in the area because without it we probably wouldnt have many pulls around this area. There is other areas where you can go a couple hours and not find any local tractor pulls. I thought most of us were into pulling for FUN...............

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 20, 2010 01:13PM
U do know Larry doesnt get hook fee. That goes 2 org putting on pull. Sled man has a signed contract they normally get around $1200 a day

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 21, 2010 04:29PM
where is your pull going to be on the12 th

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 21, 2010 04:32PM
Sorry wrong place for reply

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 22, 2010 12:06PM
Thank you for the information and we got two good sleds...

What classes are you having? January 22, 2010 12:35PM
Now that you have your sleds what kind of classes are you going to have? Thanks

Re: What classes are you having? January 22, 2010 02:04PM
Could you please state where your pull is going to be held on the 12th. might be intersted in pulling there if I knew where to go. would also be good if you would tell what classes you were planning to have............................

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 22, 2010 02:44PM
Where is your pull going to be held on June 12th 2010? What classes are you pulling? Please provide contact information so I may get the rules. Thank You

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 22, 2010 04:33PM
The pull is in Rossville Illinois.. We start at 6 and we run 11,000 profarm, 12ooo n/a, altered stock trucks, pro stock trucks, 5500 and 6500 antique open, gas and diesel pickups, semi's, also working on having either light SS or Heavy SS, and super farm .. I think super farm is going to be a brush pull but with some good money.. Not sure on amount yet. Several of these classes are IPA santioned.. Whating to see if IPA is going to have a good number of light SS this year or not .. If not may try to get heavy ss..11,000 Profarm we are going to add some extra money .. Hope to get some other tractors in here with the new rules they have.. Also midwest pullers contacted us about having 4.1 limited pro class.. Still trying to decided what classes we want this year.. Looking for the best numbers.. We have a 400 foot track built with clay dirt and it bits really hard.. Takes a ton of power to win here.. If interested in a class please feel free to call me at 217 772 1012.. Thanks for all the interest.

Robert

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 23, 2010 02:13PM
Out of curiosity, what is the name of the Strausburg sled? Are you talking about the old orange sled that the operator sits toward the front of?

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 23, 2010 05:48PM
The orange sled that you are talking about is from Martinsville IL. and is used at the Casey antique pulls.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS January 24, 2010 09:58AM
The Strasburg sled is named Heaven Bound, owned by Larry Montgomery. The orange Martinsville sled is owned by Larry Stephens.

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS March 02, 2011 08:13AM
I am needing some information on getting a sled for a pull June 24 2011 is IL. In Edgewood. a small town located south of Effingham. We had one last year and some problems with the track. We are changing the track no sink holes in it. any information would help

my cell 618.553.1003 volfireman29@yahoo.com

thank you

Re: Sled needed for for pull in ILLINOIS March 03, 2011 03:05AM
Our phone number is 219-984-5333 daytime.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,934, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM