working on bosch a pump April 23, 2014 12:54PM
have a bosch a pump with the fuel set wide open running in a farm stock class .how much would it help to get the governor set up for the 3000 rpm.we are running 3000rpm but the govenor is still factory set at 2400rpm.

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 06:41AM
is it a factory pump with the screw turned all the way up? if so a pump shop told me that it will cut its self back. but yes sending the pump off to have it benched will make a world of diffrence may thing about having a quick rate cam installed to

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 08:38AM
If you are running a stock flywheel and get your pump turned up to 3000 RPM, practice pulling your legs back real fast if you hear a loud boom coming from the flywheel area. I have seen them cut a tractor in half!

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 12:48PM
Yes, I have also seen the aftermath of a broken flywheel.In the remining pieces of the flywheel you could see the heat cracks everywhere.For a thirty year old stock flywheel I can see what caused its failure. What makes you think that 3000 rpms is the magic number a diesel engine flywheel will explode. There are tens of thousands diesel engines in trucks spinning over 3000 rpm every day.There should be flywheel shrapnel littering the highways if all diesel flywheels come apart at 3000rpm....

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 01:30PM
And you think that all trucks have CAST FLYWHEELS? Idiots deserve what they get BUT they usually hurt innocent folks with them

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 02:19PM
Where are all these thousands of Trucks turning over 3000 rpms? I have been in a helluva lot of different trucks and engine mfg's and have yet to see one spinning that fast. Pickups yes, but not trucks, besides most of those are Automatics, no big flywheel.

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 02:54PM
Its not the higher RPM that makes flywheels come apart its the heat from slipping the clutch. I've seen one blow in person and several on video and everytime the clutch has not held or been slipped for a longs way out of the hole before it explodes. Steel flywheels look expensive until you see one explode.

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 03:28PM
I own several trucks (3 Petes and 1 Freightliner currently) You statement of "most are automatics" ...............No not so much.

Its good advice to put a steel flywheel and SFI clutch in

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 03:29PM
Ran a JD 3000 rpm for 4 yrs with stock style clutch and stock flywheel no issue
Have seen the catastrophic failure you are talking about once
And it was turning closer to 3500 than 3000

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 10:38PM
Hhhmmm again the intellegence shows on this page- he asked about an injector pump rpm settings, and got a couple good replies then duh duh duh flywheel talk,, it isnt even gonna be set for over 3 grand,, geeesh

Re: working on bosch a pump May 10, 2014 11:35PM
Backer,. I meant Pickups with Automatics not Big Trucks. Never driven Big Truck Auto, no desire to either.

Re: working on bosch a pump May 12, 2014 02:52AM
the pump was set up on a test bench .I just did not know if it was worth pulling the pump back off to have the governor set for 3000 or not and yes I am running a steel flywheel in farm stock class

Re: working on bosch a pump May 12, 2014 12:25PM
definitely. 600 rpm makes a big difference in farm stock. believe me its worth it.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,652, Posts: 229,727, Members: 3,326.
This forum: Topics: 37,069, Posts: 225,914.

Our newest member JD_8520