Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 05:57AM
heres what we have tried.......

the horn on the sled.....then puller gets a chance to slow it down........many claim to not hear the horn.
a pace tractor.......many lag back till 150-200 ft before they open the tractor up.
a speed sign......will work for 5-6 guys then for some reason throw a odd reading.
the sled monitor at announcer table.....if its from ground speed, it doesn't always match the gps guys are using.

im looking for suggestions and not negative feedback

thanks in advance

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 09:19AM
The last pull I was at with a speed limit, they used a speed readout at the end of the track and it worked great. Very visible from from the drivers point of view.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 09:51AM
get an air horn if the sled has air on it, one that has an electric solenoid on it and mount it at the front of the sled. not only will the puller hear it, they'll hear it at the pull 3 counties over. been there and done that. that and/or a speed sign that runs off of agritronix is the way to go. shouldn't matter what their gps says, it matters what the sled/board/horn says.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 10:28AM
The sled monitor at the announcer's table should overrule whatever GPS a puller is using--just like a set of scales at a pull. As long as everyone is playing by the same standards, it should be fair.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 11:34AM
drag a 20ft chain with a milk jugs or something like that if u slow up short of the chain then u cant chase down the pace vehicle at the end of the track. most guys will play fair then. if they drop back most of the time the stay back around here. or contact the city or county that ul be pulling in and see if they have a speed board that they put along side the road. I have done that a couple times didn't seem to be a problem. it does need to be something where the driver can see it. couple of the sleds around here have speed boards they can bring if u ask them. good luck

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 11:42AM
loud horn 1 horn after 150' dq'd

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 01:16AM
Why do you need a speed limit anyways?? Put a RPM limit on them if your worried about it getting out of control like 2600-2700 RPM's if the guys with the big turbo's won't keep them spoiled and the tractor will just fall on its face, and the true farm tractor will lug and keep on walking!!!

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 01:56AM
the main reason we use speed instead of rpms, is because you would have to run around checking everyones rpms or require sensors on everyones tractors. the sensors work for clubs, but for the guy that makes the occasional hook you still have to check with a gun.

I really like the sign (digital scoreboard) that is designed specifically for sled readout. the mini-rod club around here has one and I think its what we need. im not sure the cost and i'm no electrical engineer to make sure it works with all the different sleds.

air horn location seems to be critical as well.

thank you all for the great ideas.

keep them coming!

kyle

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 04:36AM
Checking RPM's don't take very long usually everyone has them set up to run the required RPM's before the pull, or you could just check the top 3 tractors or whoever is in the money, it's really simple, just make sure one of the judges pushes or gets on the tractor to make sure it's at full throttle, when we pull and the pulls with no RPM limit it can get out of hand, but when there is a RPM limit the tractors are way closer to farm stock and everyone has a chance to get into the money

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 12:20PM
The 20 foot chain with a bright colored jug of some kind works good. Make them stay with the jug, if they fall back the catch up again they are done. Only way to help people who can't see the speed board or hear the horn.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 05, 2014 04:50PM
Allow them to beep horn to commitment cone at whatever distance you decide...100 ft for example. Horn has to be loud enough that it's uncomfortable to hear. Some horns are ear high and aimed directly at driver on sleds I see. Sled speed reading overrules whatever the bike wheel or radar unit or gps on tractor says, it's showing that variation equally for all pullers. I don't like pace though I've seen it work well. A speed display at end of track is helpful too.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 01:54AM
I've pulled all 3 ways. My favorite was the place that just got a speed sign hooked to the sled system, they still use the horn, but at least I don't have to use my GPS. Worked the best out of them all. Can't use a radar speed sign, they tried it one year and it was reading the tire lugs and throwing all sorts of funny readings.

Other places use the horn, GPS works the best with these. And as far as the GPS not being the same as the sled, they aren't that accurate at low speeds and they typically don't update that fast either, but its better than nothing. Around here most places give you 2 horn blows, 3rd one is DQ'd.

The outfits that run pace tractors around here and know how to run them won't let you get 100 ft behind them, they will slow down and stay with you so you can't take off like a jack rabbit. You have to push the pace tractor if you want to have a chance at winning.

Our county fair doesn't run a speed limit, but they do cut the rpm's down to 2600, the guys that are setup to pull mph classes generally win because they're setup to make power down low so they can run a higher gear and get some wheel speed when the tires start churning.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 01:15AM
We use an air horn on the sleds around here (Southwest Penn.). Most places have fallen in line and adopted the same rules for speed: Blow the horn all you want up to 100 feet, after that it's one and done. I've been on the end of not hearing the horn, it's not fun. But, there were garden tractors pulling at the same time and it was nearly impossible to hear that particular sled horn over the garden tractor and my tractor. Hookstown Fair had a great setup last year, with the Humiliator #6. It had an air horn on the sled and a speed board at the finish line that was visible for everyone to see.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 04:44AM
What is your speed limit ?

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 05:24AM
7mph from 5700-15700 and 5mph for dual classes after that.

the reason for the lower mph is to help the sled guys out. it also levels the playing field.

About every sled guy I have talked to appreciates the lower speeds on the dual tractors

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 09, 2014 01:11AM
In our area we had several towns pool there money for the Agritonix speed and distance board and its the greatest thing since slice bread throw all the other gadets out this is great for
MPH classes and the Antique guys love it. You can see it blocks away.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 10:51AM
We run an 8mph 12,500 class. Blow the horn all you want til the half track cone. If it blows after that, your DQ. If you can't hear the horn on Colliers sled, you need to check your pulse.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 01:04PM
AN ORANGE JUG WITH A ROPE ???????????????????????? COME ON THIS IS THE NEW MILLENNIUM FOR GOSH SAKES,we are not all rednecks with all the family named the same.The newest wave of the future is the speed board.

Re: Monitoring Speed in Farm Stock Classes August 06, 2014 03:34PM
This is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,668, Posts: 229,751, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,074, Posts: 225,927.

Our newest member JD_8520