polishing aluminum August 24, 2014 11:50AM
Anyone have tips for bringing out a mirror finish in aluminum? I start with 80 and work my way to 2000 and then use a digringer with brown compound then use white compound afterwards. It seems as if in bigger pieces I get some heat marks? Is it possible to get aluminum hot enough that it will burn instead of polish? Any tips or recomendations? Im no professional but I love having pride in my work and being able to say I did it! Thanks in advance!

Re: polishing aluminum August 24, 2014 07:18PM
Depending on what kind of pad your using with the brown compound and white compound. Are you using a finish pad with the white compound? When your polishing can you touch the aluminium? If you can't your getting to hot. It should be fairly warm to the touch but not incredibly hot. And what is your description of the heat marks? Always keeping moving. And if your not pleased with the result. Repeat. Once you get the touch it'll be easier.

Re: polishing aluminum August 25, 2014 01:21AM
I just wet sand aluminum with 2000 and can tell when it has a hazed shine to it then I get some stuff call Zephyr and polish it and it comes to a mirror finish easily. I just also heard talk of some stuff called Mojo polish and it is suppose to have some kind of sealer in it to keep the finish longer. That works here and I know everybody's vision of mirror aluminum is different. Good luck. What my question is though is how a guy stays clean when polishing?? LOL

Re: polishing aluminum August 25, 2014 04:36PM
When I first started polishing alluminum I would sand it down to 2,000 grit like you are talking.
The steps I do now:
-Sand only the spots with deep scratches with 80 grit
-Sand the entire surface with 180
-Buff with the yellow hard wheel and brown rouge
-Buff with a white flap wheel and use either a green or white rouge bar
-Polish by hand with your favorite liquid polish

Only sanding to 180 may sound a little to rough but it actually gives the polishing wheel and rouge something to "cut". If the surface is too smooth before you start to polish it don't allow the wheel to grab onto anything. There are many techniques out there, you just have to find the one that works best with your tools and material.

Re: polishing aluminum August 26, 2014 01:08AM
Thanks guys! Will have to give all the tips a whirl! I got plenty to polish! As for staying clean, as a guy that cuts/sharpens tires that question! LOL!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard