Considering starting a project October 31, 2014 07:44AM
My son and I are considering a pulling tractor.
We have run speed limit and open in the antiques and would like to step up.
looking at pulling at brush pulls and county fairs.
any advice or started projects for sale anything that would be helpful.

Re: Considering starting a project October 31, 2014 08:29AM
The first thing you look at is how much you want to spend.
At brush pulls and fairs the best class in my opinion is open
you dont have to listen to all the @itching about hes cheating this
way and that guy has to big a turbo and that isnt the rite pump.

Re: Considering starting a project November 04, 2014 01:37AM
Where are you located? Any color you like, red, green, blue, or orange? Any 3000 rpm class seems to be a great stepping stone..

Re: Considering starting a project November 04, 2014 06:02AM
Take a look around your local area, what clubs or groups are active. What classes do they run that have good turnouts? Do they have set rules you can follow to your build? What do you feel you can afford? Say it again, WHAT CAN YOU AFFORD, then take that number times 2 or 3 because that's what you'll really spend.

Coming up from antique level my inclination would be to say find a Hot Farm, Too Hot to Farm, or slightly altered...etc. Something that gives you some freedom to "play" but limits how far you can go. It keeps things affordable for the most part and it'll let you find your way if this is really the route you want to go. As time goes on your going to find if your into it you'll want to be the toughest tractor in your class or your going to want to learn and ascend and keep pushing into the higher horsepower levels. Its all in what you find as fun because it sure isn't about making any money.

Friends of mine have found they are loving the 3000rpm limit 18mph class run around here. Yes they can pour enough cash into it but its still much less than going into a 466 Limited or LimPro class. And the 3000rpm tractors can also be tuff competitors at events where they run no rpm and speed limit yet limit tire size and turbo.

Just a few ideas......BigRed712

Re: Considering starting a project November 04, 2014 07:57AM
Pick a class that will have enough hooks close to you to make it worth it, unless traveling is your thing. Pick a class that is stable or growing, so you can at least hope it won't be eliminated right after you build. And if you can buy what you want already built, buy it, unless your enjoyment comes from the building. Buying it will save in the long run.

Re: Considering starting a project November 04, 2014 09:28AM
Light Limited Super Stock (LLSS) is a good class to start in

Re: Considering starting a project November 05, 2014 12:22AM
I think there are a couple area's I would consider when building a pulling tractor. First, what does my budget allow, for not only the tractor but also repairs, mileage and how many weekends do I want to hook. However the main thing I would think about is what classes do they pull in my area. It doesn't do you any good to build a SF, LLSS or Hot Farm if you're the only guy that has one. What clubs are near you and what classes do they offer.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Considering starting a project November 07, 2014 05:13AM
Considering your location you have some options. A 470ci 3000rpm tractor on uncut 18.4's or 20.8's can find a place to pull just about anywhere in a 200 mile radius of East-central Indiana. Will depend on rule sets of clubs of interest in your area on pump and turbo limits beyond that.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Considering starting a project November 11, 2014 04:33AM
I got an ugly but running 1466, factory open station. I bought to make a farm stock out of, but decided not to. make a good pull project. email me if your interested.

Re: Considering starting a project November 11, 2014 07:23AM
I have a hot farm for sale. You could have fun while building a 478 hercules or 8.3 cummins. Its an 1850 with 354 perkins 2 disk clutch, built hd 2 speed, 20.8 x38 machine v cut, pump turbo and water injection by harts diesel in Mo. 500cc pump. Automatic water inj when boost gets to 40 psi, scatter blanket, custom front aluminum weight bracket in front, ace chassis throttle system, 5point harness

Re: Considering starting a project November 11, 2014 08:04AM
I feel that building a open class antique is good, i dont find hauling a 12000-14000 pound tractor to be fun nor throwing the weight it takes for one. im building another 560 farmall with a 400 series motor. probably the cheapest route to be competitive with room to improve. pull 5000 up to 6500 around here. (south eastern il) could go up to 7000 im sure,

Re: Considering starting a project November 15, 2014 10:51AM
I will have a Maxxum chassis for sale, if you are interested, reply!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,705, Posts: 229,807, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro