Rack and Pinion November 28, 2014 09:54AM
Looking at changing to Rack and Pinion on our 1066 Superfarm tractor. What rack and pinion system seems to work best for this? Thanks for the help.

Re: Rack and Pinion November 29, 2014 12:17PM
What kinda setup do you have now??

Re: Rack and Pinion November 29, 2014 01:35PM
We were running the stock power steering. Want to do away with that. Did not know which rack and pinion worked best to use. Thanks.

Re: Rack and Pinion November 29, 2014 09:35PM
Skip the rack and pinion. Go helm pump. If you can the right info on which pump to use. The cylinder that's listed in some older post is the cylinder to use.

Re: Rack and Pinion November 30, 2014 01:35AM
What do you do when you have to split it? Break the lines and then have to rebleed it?

Re: Rack and Pinion November 30, 2014 05:01AM
Come on Deere Puller! You need to use quick couplers, makes it very easy whenever need to split the tractor. They are located at the parts counter at your local John Deere dealership

Re: Rack and Pinion December 01, 2014 02:43AM
I thought of that, but aren't they restrictive?

Re: Rack and Pinion December 01, 2014 06:25AM
I have quick couplers on mine. No problems. I alternate the ends so you can't mix them up. Use the small ones, cheaper and don't take as much room.

Re: Rack and Pinion December 03, 2014 12:47PM
What is the best fluid to use in the helm pump setup? Just hydraulic fluid?

Re: Rack and Pinion December 01, 2014 09:25PM
if you already have the hand pump on the dash, just put a 12v self contained hyd unit on it and keep your power steering, there isnt any rack or helm pump like having power steering, $400 and you can get your pump and be done, i have had both rack and helm and went back to hyd power steering on a switch just turn on when needed.

Re: Rack and Pinion December 01, 2014 11:00PM
GRice
if you already have the hand pump on the dash, just put a 12v self contained hyd unit on it and keep your power steering, there isnt any rack or helm pump like having power steering, $400 and you can get your pump and be done, i have had both rack and helm and went back to hyd power steering on a switch just turn on when needed.
GRice is correct. The only thing I might add is if you use a forklift hand pump you will still have steering if the pump fails.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,769, Posts: 229,936, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,026.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009