Deere LLSS December 09, 2014 12:39PM
Evening Boys and Girls

I have been searching for months for a rear end and trans to start a loss of the green variety at a reasonable price, I may have found a couple options. I found a yard that is checking on a price of a partially stripped 3010 but they have a rear and trans from a 4020 at a decent price. I know with enough money anything can be done so save those comments. If a guy went with tube chassis and either fiberglass or aluminum tinwork how light can this rig get? What kind of work will need to be done? Thinking of running a 360'ish alky engine.

As I have stated before I am coming from the NA truck world. Is a three speed trans a must or a nice to have? I know the rear will need to be needled but will the gears need lightened? Just trying to see how deep this rabbit hole is gonna go.

Re: Deere LLSS December 09, 2014 12:58PM
There is a JD LSS ag chassis on the for sale page, maybe you have seen it , not sure if it is what your looking for or if it's in your budget but it might be a great start ???

Re: Deere LLSS December 09, 2014 02:44PM
Complete chassis tires and wheels etc ready for sale contact 660 341 2197 for more information. I believe they were asking $15,000 for the rolling chassis. JD 4010 with 3 speed, tube frame, rear tires, etc.

Chassis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 02:49PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Deere LLSS December 09, 2014 03:07PM
That looks like Junior Whitworth's BBI Spreaders chassis, which is a pretty stout LSS. It looks like a great start for a LLSS and it will definitely be able to take all the HP a single charger alky can make.

BBI Spreaders 4520

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Deere LLSS December 09, 2014 01:04PM
There are some that may argue this, but regardless of which rear you go with, get a good three speed. You will save yourself money in the long run, been there, done that.

The 3010 rear might do the job (not sure if anyone makes trans for this case?) and will definitely be light, the 4020 rear will leave you in a bad spot for weight. There is a 4010 rear (Moore Motorports from MD) with three speed GMS trans and needled rear for sale on here, I think it was for $6K, axles and bellhousing included. That is hardly the price of the trans and needle kit together, let alone buying the entire rear to start with. The ratios might not be that far off for you, and are easily changed by swapping in different CM gears. GMS is a good trans and you should be able to get CM gears from him.

I'm not sure what weight your shooting for, but you should be able to have the 4010 chassis on 24.5's in around the 6000-6250 pound range (w/200 pounds moveable) with some room to shave from there. As always, money and time will do wonders for the weight.

Best of luck and have fun with the build!

The ad I was referring to:

4010 rear with 3 speed GMS transmission and needled rear.
Ratios 1st 23.37 2nd 21.26 3rd 19.94. Comes with axle housings and bell housing. $6000.00 plus the ride. Call Davey. 301-992-4885

Re: Deere LLSS December 11, 2014 02:38AM
Thank you all for the info. I agree that Whitworth's Chassis is a nice unit for the price. I did call and talk to him.

Part of the fun for me is the building process. Anyway, does anyone know what the weight difference is between a 4010 and a 4020? I know that the 4020 is a bit bigger but a couple people have told me that it can be done with enough grinding.

Re: Deere LLSS December 11, 2014 12:13PM
I don't honestly know the difference in weight between the two, I have never had a pair to weigh at the same time in the same configuration. I am sure that you can make the 20 light enough to do what you want, that's kinda what I meant when I said money and time will do wonders for the weight. I just get a little nervous grinding cast off critical strength areas. If I understand correct, your group is allowing more weight than some (65-6700?), so you should be able to get it in.

I highlighted Davey Moore's ad because I have been down the road of building from the wrecking yard special. You will spend easily as much and likely more than he is asking for that rear to get another one to the same level. You would need to buy a complete rear with axles and bellhousing for less than $1000 to beat that price. Maybe you have a source to make trans gears for cheap? But, I do agree that building it is half the fun.

The 4020 rear is definitely the most popular deere to work with, you will be able to find anything you need for it.

Re: Deere LLSS December 11, 2014 01:58PM
FarmersFun... Thank you for the info. Yes they originally voted a higher weight but like the component issue it will all be decided at the spring meeting. I would build for the 6000# range though.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520