2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 07:06AM
I have been working on a new points system to decide the Outlaw points champions in 2015. Would like to have feed back on different ideas especially from the spectators point of view. I appreciate different views. Enclosed is a letter going out in a mailing to OTTPA membership. Also the latest update on events and classes. Thanks, Doug
Attachments:
open | download - 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship.docx (15.6 KB)
open | download - 2015 OTTPA Tentative Dates.docx (17.3 KB)

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 08:08AM
Now you see why Outlaws is going places. On the move with new ideas and not afraid to try new things.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 08:16AM
Doug,

I read your letter regarding the points chase. I don't like it for the same reason I don't like it in NHRA or NASCAR. If you don't perform great in the final chase events, (some of those events have traditionally been a "numbers" track for my class) you don't have a chance. Just my opinion.....

Tom Byers

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 08:34AM
I like it. A lot more good than bad. I agree with Tom if doing it like this years chase. Gordon had great season and that elimination deal wiped out whole season. The old chase lot better as you had about 10 races to average out and settle it. If Outlaw classes have 5 to 9 hooks to declare winner that will work and with that long schedule fair way to do it.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 09:15AM
I would really like to see the Diesel Super's at the Mo State Fair there are several Super's in Mo that I know would like to Pull at there own State Fair.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 11:50PM
To Mo fan, sorry I missed you question yesterday. I agree with you on that DSS should be at the fair . Not for sure if we will be at the Missouri State Fair this year. Had a meeting with them and put in a bid. Comes down to dollars and all classes would have been to much money, so had to leave some out. I am a big believer that everyone should get to pull at their state fair. Out of the 4 state fairs we have been at only Missouri State Fair does this. Some of the other state fairs do not have the space, facilities or time in front of grandstands to make this happen. Last year we were offered the last Sunday of the fair but, just wouldn't work with our schedule having a big 3 session event at Wisner the 2 days before. Not going to make everyone travel as we are all worn out after Wisner. Monday is the only day that will work for us as usually have some classes coming out of Texas north to Iowa State Fair on Wednesday. We probably get that question asked the most by fans when we have pulls in Missouri. When is the Outlaws coming back to the Missouri State Fair. We just have a few of our different classes in Missouri at the events and many have not seen most of our show. If we get back in I think with our classes and big screen we will draw more fans than having the same show on Sunday and Monday as they do now. Then we could have all classes in the future and make it the first hook on the "Chase for the Championship". That would be a win, win for the pulling fans in Missouri as they get all the local associations on Sunday, Outlaws on Monday and PPL on the following Sunday. Thanks for you question, Doug

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 15, 2015 05:05AM
Boy that would be great to get Outlaws back at the Missouri State Fair on Monday. Those were great pulls and filled the grandstands up. People still talk about that at the pull every year how it use to be so much better pull than now. Maybe they can work something out to get them back.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 15, 2015 04:19PM
That pull has really went downhill since outlaws quit coming. Everybody talks about the days when outlaws brought in stuff from all over. Mossy we never get to see. A bought time someone comes to there senses and gets outlaws in there on Monday. Let the locals have Sunday.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 16, 2015 04:54AM
About time someone coming to there senses and putting the Outlaws back at the state fair. Besides the tractors and trucks from out of state lot of good Missouri iron we do not get to see anymore. Why did they ever quit pulling at the fair anyways. Never been as good since.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 17, 2015 03:20AM
Politics and the worst track builder in Missouri.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 09:14AM
Would the points during the chase be awarded the same or would the top five be in their own points system?

Eric Clark

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 13, 2015 11:35PM
Eric, My thinking is regular points if you are in the chase or not. The board might decide think otherwise or on a different amount than 2 points between each position of the top 5 in the chase when it begins. If you do not use regular points including every vehicle and just the top 5 in points they can not move much with just 1 point difference between each position. For example with 2 points between competitors only 10 points would separate 1st and 5th place chase competitor. If that class has 5 hooks in the chase the 5th place vehicle would have to win every event and the first place tractor would have to finish 3rd place or below to make up a 10 point difference. Not enough chance for a exciting points race if you just do points among the chase vehicles. NASCAR uses everyone in points and you can get away with one or two bad finishes and still maybe have a chance because you can also gain lots of points on leader if he has bad day or in pulling bad draw, breakage, etc. At the last event most would still have a chance to be points champion with all vehicles including in points. Lot of different scenario for the announcers to talk about. That is a good point you made. Thanks, Doug

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 01:18AM
Wondering if you ran any numbers on last years classes to see what effects it would have made in any points races. I do like the idea!

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 01:28AM
Doug - By that way of thinking wouldn't the 6th place guy be able to overtake #5 if #5 has a couple of bad finishes and #6 has a couple of good ones? Then does #5 still get paid & awards for 5th place even though he finished in 6th or 7th place?

Also, have you thought about doing something like the Power Pullers do with paying every member an equal portion of fuel money and then putting the rest of the money toward the points race?

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 02:42AM
466GUY, The top 5 would be the only ones running for money and will finish 1st through 5th. The rest will be working on 6th through 10th and can finish no higher than 6th. The board may think different, but that is my opinion. I am not a strong supporter of points fund to help numbers in a class. Never has worked and befits just a few that is sometimes decided before season is half over and numbers tail off at the end of season. We are looking at a truck stop as major sponsor with fuel cards based on miles traveled. I have always liked a perfect attendance award where you get $500 the first year, $1000 if two years and $1500 for 3 years with out missing hook. That would be $1500 limit every year until you miss hook and then have to start over at $500 if you missed and then have perfect attendance. I like sweeps that pay out extra money so that competitors that can not hook at our big schedule can pick out a sweep that pays extra money. All my ideas are keeping the numbers up. Things like fair competition limits on rules that keep cost down, even purse payouts, etc. that lead to different winners and points champions. The things make for healthier classes. Thanks for your questions, Doug

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 02:46AM
The SF class would of had a different outcome.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 02:25AM
sweetemotion, I have not but Dave Yarick with the Gone tractor rough figured the PS class yesterday and Ricky Behrendt with the Wampuscat tractor. The Gone tractor would have won the PS class by 4 points giving Wampuscat a 2 point lead before the Iowa State Fair. He did not figure if everyone dropped 2 hooks before the Iowa State Fair if they would have been 1-2 going into the sweep. The championship would not have been decided until the last hook. The way it was Wampuscat won by 22 points and going into the last hook at Hillsboro, OH just had to show up to win with just 9 tractors in class. Gone did come on strong the last of the season winning at Wisner and some top 5 finishes cutting lead from about 40 to 22 points. Thanks for the question, Doug

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 04:07AM
I don't like the chase idea as it will come down to to many bad tracks that will decide your points championship. If you don't favor a points fund to increase numbers then why worry about messing with the points? I personally have tuned out NASCAR because of the chase. For pulling, I think it's more about that night or event then a whole season. I want pullers to have great hooks on great tracks at great facilities. Your points chase will only have really two places that have all the mentioned. Wisner and Jeff City. What about all your promoters that spend long hours and lots of time and money to promote their events and want the most pullers possible aren't you kind of kicking most of their events to the side to help feature too many facilities that require the pullers and many others from with the organization to put the pull on like all the state fairs? Personally your still asking pullers to travel too many miles and make too many hooks to win a small amount of money even with your increase in purses. NASCAR may ask their drivers to travel 37 events, but the payout is in the millions. It's a little more justified. So, since your all about having lots and lots of dots, why not have more then one points race. Look at golf for example PGA championship and FEDEX. Also, look how golf has certain showcase events all year long. NASCAR a has Daytona and 36 other races. NFL =Super Bowl. And 16 other games. GOLF - Masters (Revanna). USOPEN (rock valley) British Open (Jeffeson City's) PGA championship (Wisner). If you want. Something unique study golf way before NASCAR. I would want a points race to start and finish were all my biggest sponsors and pulls are going to want to attend. Take the last 5 pulls of the year and make them your Fedex cup instead of your points championship. Start it in Jeff city and finish in Kansas. May not include all classes, but that can rotate every year.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 06:41AM
Can I take the outlaw pull I am associated with as well?

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 15, 2015 12:05AM
To Outlaw Junky, thanks for your input and you have some good ideas and I like people that think out of the box some. Looking at some of your other post about working with other associations that is hard to do sometimes. We do not have problem with it, but take Jefferson City pull with NTPA. We can not pull on the other track while they are pulling. We have to wait 30 minutes after they are done before we can start. Just hard on the fans sitting on the hard bleachers with all that wasted time. We do honor other association roll cage inspection, etc, but some do not ours. Our pullers enjoy going to Jeff City and watching NTPA pull as we never get to see other pullers with our busy schedule. I see in another post you are associated with an Outlaw pull. What pull would that be? I know all my Outlaw promoters and a lot of the workers and board members and do not recall having met any named Outlaw Junky that I remember. Thanks for your comments, Doug

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 03:33AM
This would be an awesome change for the points race and give a chance for people who have breakage problems to comeback and compete.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 03:49AM
Dunlap Iowa State Wisner 1 Wisner 2 Madison Neb1 Neb2 total
Someday 34 36 25 37 32 0 0 164
Dakota deere 27 34 28 31 37 0 0 157
Spankys toy 33 32 25 27 33 0 0 150
Turbo up 26 28 25 25 29 0 0 133
red rock 35 35 36 29 36 0 0 171

That's how the last 7 events would of ended up, not a huge difference.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 05:13AM
Not for sure how your figuring that but the way I read Roberts you can drop 2 hooks before Iowa State Fair not in the chase. So not for what the 2 zero's are about.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 05:37AM
Nebraska was rained out, so 0 or 25 doesn't change the results

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 05:43AM
Did you do the 2 point stager in the top five. See what the zeros were for.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 06:10AM
If dream on qualified for the 80% ( not sure if the 2 missed hooks count, if they don't then he's under 80%), Then that would kick out red rock and the following would be:
1. Someday 164
2. Dakota Deere 157
3. Spanky's Toy 150
4.Dream On 139
5. Turbo Up 133

Dream on missed Dunlap, so that's what hurt him, otherwise with the new points system even if he got last at Dunlap he would of tied Someday. This is my best understanding of the new points chase.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 08:39AM
I red some where that pullers get paid for going to all the pulls?? What's the pay Scale??

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 09:16AM
This a hot topic with lots of interest. 1300 hits in 24 hours. My bet Outlaws will do some form of the chase and some other associations will do it the next year or two.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 11:55AM
LEAVE it alone! This is about TRUE CHAMPIONS ! Go give ur all every pull. What ifs and this happened is BS. To much luck is needed for this chase stuff.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 12:15PM
That makes too much since, it doesn't create any controversy. You should probably think about joining me on the west series this year, because GO AWaY won't like your thinkingSmiling

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 14, 2015 01:14PM
No more hooks than the Western had need to leave alone. A big series like outlaws has will work great.

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 15, 2015 04:05AM
I am personally not an Outlaw Puller but I like the concept considering the amount of hooks in most classes. I have always wanted to run the GN series in NTPA but traveling to west Virginia for the first hook is crazy and stupid! Keep it up Outlaws because as a non member who has pulled with Outlaws a few times the payouts compared to NTPA arent even close. Last year a NTPA TWD region hook paid 600 for the win and there were over 20 trucks in the class. They only paid 10 or 12 spots and we all paid our registration. Seems to me that Outlaws has it figured out while NTPA is all about Screwing over the puller! Rant Over

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 15, 2015 01:37PM
Sounds like you should be an Outlaw member!

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 16, 2015 02:26PM
At the end of the day what does the points title mean to the puller? In my opinion not much, no one will remember or care 5 years from now who won what in what class. What needs to happen is make the points chase all about the fans, give them something more to be excited about and keep them coming to all the pulls not just the local pull in their area. From what I see I applaude Doug for thinking out of the box, typical way of the outlaws. Anything that can be done to gain more fans will be beneficial to the puller. Keep up the good work guys, I will always be a supporter!

Re: 2015 OTTPA Chase for the Championship January 18, 2015 12:10AM
We could use an Oliver in the light super, come out and play with us again. I remember the big fire, not for sure where it was. Come and have fun Outlaw Style. I agree the new chase concept will generate excitement and more fans.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009