Keystone Pull March 18, 2015 09:43AM
I would post these comments on the Eastern Extreme site but it seems not many people use that site anymore. I am speaking about Sat.day and finals. The positives 1st. The pull went very smooth. A good number of tractors. Good competition in all classes. Sled settings were good and min. number of resets. A very good show. The negatives are the same as I have had since the 1st pull at Keystone. #1 - Speaker system is awful. It seemed like it was even worse than last year. It was like the 3 guys talking were basically talking to themselves. I like all 3 guys when I can hear them as in outdoor pulls. The seating deal is my biggest issue and seems to be a thorn for a lot of fans. I would pay more for a ticket if I had a reserved seat. I could then go eat without the fear of losing our seats as we did this year. People would go look around and spend more money if they weren't worried about losing their seat. The line to re-seat for the night finals started at 3:00 this year and is a 3 hr. wait. Why not sell reserved seats and anyone from the day session could buy ticket for the same seat at night. Just show the FFA attendant your ticket at your seat. The FFA did do a great job of not allowing the 2 lines to merge and go in at the same time as happened last year. There has to be a better system!! The last issue is why not have picnic tables in the pit area so you have a place to sit down and eat. Especially with kids and older adults. Thanks to all who put the show on but there is always room for improvement.

Re: Keystone Pull March 18, 2015 10:43AM
I would have to agree with the seating issue. The rows are all numbered and set up already for assigned seating. It is really bad when you have to argue to keep your seat after going to the bathroom! Especially when your with a tractor and can't get a seat. Charge $2 more a ticket or $5 more for 200' line seats. And all the people that want tickets the day of the show can stand or sit in the folding chairs. The box office tickets are already set up for seating numbers. The pull is a great run show just the seating on Friday and Saturdays is horrible. Maybe they don't want anyone to know that they are over selling occupancy aloud bye the state. That's the only thing we can figure why they don't have seating numbered. Would be awsome to actually sit with your family. It actually makes you not want to go back the following year. Maybe that's why attendance was down this year from last. Who wants to fight over a seat.

Re: Keystone Pull March 18, 2015 01:57PM
Thanks for the feedback and you both are correct, the sound system is horrible and needs to be addressed. The seating is also a problem for Saturday night and I honestly can't tell you why we couldn't allow reserved seating. it will also be addressed for next year.

Re: Keystone Pull March 18, 2015 03:22PM
good post and excellent response. No bs. I will be back next year

Re: Keystone Pull March 18, 2015 11:53PM
Where do you find the results thanks

Re: Keystone Pull March 19, 2015 05:40AM
Eastern extreme's website forum has them

Re: Keystone Pull March 19, 2015 09:38AM
I wanted to add a couple idea's concerning the Keystone Nationals.
To me Keystone is one of the best indoor shows available to the pulling fans
However like any show there are always plus and minus area's.
Lets start with the plus;

1- the facility is first rate, great seating, large indoor pit area, the best possible layout for the smooth and swift movement of the vehicles.
2; the announcing is overall first rate [also a minus], Dan Mayer is one of the best in the business.
3; the classes are interesting and a nice mixture of national pullers and vehicles that the local fan is familiar with.
4; the track crew is fast and efficient.
5; the flagmen by and large did a very good job.
6; parking is very good for both pullers and fans.

The minus;
1; just plain to many classes on Saturday night.
2; the time it takes to get the vehicle to the sled after the track is prepared is to long.
3; the time it took to switch from class to class was way to long.
4; parading a sand blaster down the track during the finals was a waste of time.
5; the person shooting t-shirts into the crowd was hard, if not impossible to understand. While a appreciate his enthusiasms he is very hard to understand. I wouldn't surprised if the problem was in his headset that he is using. It seems like the sound system by and large leaves a lot to be desired.

6; the confusion with moving people out after the afternoon session and allowing people to be at the head of the line for the evening session.
7; the Super Stock finals was confusing and frankly not well done, there should have been a sled reset after the first tractor.
8; there does not appear to be any one person in charge. The show looks kind of freeform at times.
9; no sense of urgency, many fans left before half the finals where done.

Some ideas;
1; run an afternoon show on Friday, and then run some of your finals Saturday afternoon. Start your Saturday afternoon class at 11am and allow for breakage, pulloffs and other issues. That will give a better cushion for the Saturday night starting time.Not every class there should be a Saturday Night class. Limit your Saturday Night finals to no more than 8 classes.

2; One person needs to step up and take control of all aspects of track activities. That person needs to be an SOB and keep the show moving.

3; Do not use the wobble wheel pull behind roller. It takes up to much of the track to turn and does not allow the vehicles that are ready to hook any room to back into the sled. The track crew does a great job of preparing the starting line, however the sled just sets there for a minute or two waiting for a vehicle to back up to it.

4; running classes side by side is a recipe for disaster, way to much going on in such a small space. The Friday afternoon session would help to relieve the time/space crunch.

5; I will say this one again, one person needs to be in charge.

Not sure the solution on the seating issue. I understand the need to move everyone out, however it does seem unfair to not reward your fans that bought tickets for both session with seat selection. Either sell designated seats, move all of the afternoon fans to a "holding" area and let them back in first.
Also heard from more than one puller that they should take more than 4 tractors to the finals.
If one minute can be taken off every hook the show would end at a more reasonable time.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 10:56AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Keystone Pull March 19, 2015 10:53AM
I have been to a couple of the keystone nationals pulls,the only session I haven't been to is Thursday. I believe it is a first class pull, it might not be perfect but there is a lot going on and a job very well done.Hats off to you guys and gails

Re: Keystone Pull March 21, 2015 01:30PM
It's hard to criticize the keystone pull as it is one of the best shows to go watch especially during the long winter months. This has been the 3rd year down for us and we definately will be there next year. The sound system as others said is definately a problem. Dan Mayer is such a good announcer you definately would like to hear him. I don't agree with some of Mr Morgan's opinions I thought the mini classes work well on the second track. Bad Boy Blasters donated two very nice units to a good cause and they deserved their time. I thought as well the track crew was efficient getting the vehicles in and out for an indoor pull it was extremely good. I thought the superstock finals was the best of the weekend. The four in the finals put on in my opinion a better show then the 10-12 in the class on Friday night with the heavy sled setting. The only thing is please stick to the program class order and have the website match. It was pretty good but the finals order was all over the place. As with a long two shows like Saturday you have to come and go at some point and it is easier to plan of you know the order.

Keep up the good work looking forward to next year. Winking

Re: Keystone Pull March 21, 2015 01:45AM
All good ideas and we will work toward a "happy" solution. The sound system is not good. We know it and always hope for them to improve upon what is there. We have voiced this to the building authorities and they understand every year we bring it up to them but nothing gets done so we will have to look in to something else to use there.

The attendance WAS NOT down this year overall. In fact, it was our best year and again was sold out back to back years now for the Finals show on Saturday night (we added more floor seating too) I am pretty positive in saying that we will probably go to reserved seating in the Blue Chair sections for the 2016 show. We knew it was gonna have to happen, and have stayed at what we feel is an affordable price but inevitably change is due to prevent the current issues with the seating and long lines.The floor seating will probably remain General admission seating as all those seats are added and are not sectioned or numbered and is more for Pullers and their families albeit not solely for those folks.

I also received several complaints about the "Reserved Big Sponsor" seating area. Folks it has to be there. They are a very huge part of what makes this show happen. We know there are usually vacant seats there the first 3 shows but what would happen if they attend all together and dont have a seat? Is there another arrangement for them to be seated? Something to look at but I doubt that will change. Also to those that have expressed concern for the reserved seating behind the Jersey Wall behind the smoke tube, guess what those sections are reserved for? Smiling

Amount of classes is big. Number of hooks in each class is a satisfactory number but may need looking at. The thought of dropping classes stinks but may be looked at. Adding a class right now (as I have had many ear chewings about various classes) is not an option right now. Ideas for new classes are always appreciated and are put in out minds for future reserve NO MATTER IF ITS TRACTORS OR TRUCKS. Adding another session is questionable at this point. We have had great shows in a decent time frame through the years and sled issues have nipped us the last 2 years. Not a bash against the best in the business when it comes to indoor pulling by no means. Hager always gives 100% given the equipment/track he has to work with. I think we had additional resets and pull offs this year more so than last year and I blame that on a sled that he doesn't use or own any longer. Again, not a bash against equipment or its owners!

Mr Morgan, regarding the Sand Blaster parade. The 2 times he did come out took roughly 10 mins each. That person also donated over $6,000.00 worth of equipment for charity raffle for the FFA and PA Wounded Warriors foundations. I am not sure what the final total was yet but I heard the raffle tickets were selling very well. Kudos to Bad Boy Blasters and everyone who purchased a ticket(s) to make it a success.

Sorry for the long winded response. I didn't address every issue that I/we as a committee have listened to but be assured we will discuss them and work toward a better show in the future. This was our 8th year and we have no plans to slow down. The folks I work with on the committee: Guy Gochenour, Toby Markley, The Olden Family, Forrester Family and the Streett Family are all very professional in their respective duties to make this show work. 100% volunteer workers, 100% non profit.

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: Keystone Pull March 21, 2015 02:12AM
Oh and Eastern Extreme Pulling is very much alive and well. Just because the message board doesnt get a bunch of derogatory no name posts..........it gets a ton of visits daily. Theres more to a site than a message board. I will get results posted on the Keystone page asap. Busy busy editing here.

Re: Keystone Pull March 21, 2015 01:52PM
Your kidding yourself if you think that the Eastern Extreme forum page is alive and well. It may get tons of visits, but that's it, no posts, no substance. I know it yours to run, but it has been dead for a few year now. That's why it's being talked about on this site not yours. I'm sorry for the bluntness, but the truth is the truth.

As for the Keystone Nationals, it is a very well run event. Your group does an outstanding job. The venue is awesome, minus the sound system, the tractors and personal that move the pulling vehicles around are topnotch. They do it quickly and more importantly, safely. Not like the group at another pull in the Midwest. The finals round does take to long. To long getting started with all the puller introductions, to long between classes with the multiple sled weight changes, and to many pulloffs in certain classes. Finally, no one should have to wait in a line that long for that amount of time to get into any pull.

Re: Keystone Pull March 22, 2015 03:20AM
How about some sort of leader board with pullers names and distance above the start line? It could solve most of the announcer problem with the fans??

Re: Keystone Pull March 22, 2015 06:41AM
JR, thanks to you and all on the Keystone Nationals committee for doing so much for the FFA and PA Wounded Warriors foundations thru such a generous donation from Bad Boy Blasters. I am wondering if it would be possible to make a banner for the builders/sponsors that you want to recognize and have the FFA kids take them up and down the track between classes. While 10 minutes each time doesn't sound like much that is 20 minutes that could be shortened from the show. Couple that 20 minutes to taking off 1 minute per pull and it would shorten your Saturday session about 90 minutes.

Re: Keystone Pull March 21, 2015 03:27PM
I hear what you are saying. I left early, on Saturday night and that was still 12:30. I got my money's worth for sure. I typically don't have to spend money to get in and film as promoters want good photos and videos of their event. So being that it was an event I paid good money for, it was awesome. The clearing of the area, that has to be done. I get that part. The PA, it is what it is. Most announcers talk like a dialog. It can be a good experience, but talking while engines are running is just no good because you can't hear distances and such. I did hear or miss-hear a lot of sponsor chatter. The lady speaking was barely noticeable. I thought the guys talking were great and very knowledgeable. The things I noticed fans struggling with was people walking up and down the stairs during a hook. Ok, how do hockey fans know when to do this and pulling fans don't? You have about 4 minutes in between hooks, figure it out! The garden tractor pull and small blocks could have thier day I suppose. Those things are plenty cool, but interest seemed no all there. Don't tell those pullers though, they did put on a heck of a show! I thought for as many hooks as were there, they did great to get em all in. I left early the first night and the last. Had they had some weenie roasters (turbines), allisons, or radials, I may have stayed and filmed that Thursday night. I leave you with my favorite class, we call it 7800 Pro Stock, but here it was the 7700 Light Limited Turbo Tractors:

http://youtu.be/tgovGiDJH74

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,749, Posts: 229,895, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,088, Posts: 225,998.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM