turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 03, 2015 10:47AM
Hi fellow pullers, i am thinking about building a 292 chevy truck engine for my d17 to pull in open speed classes, kind of like a llss class. i am new to alcohol so i want to get some input from somebody that has built alcohol engines. i would like to stay with one turbo. any input would be great. thanks

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 03, 2015 01:23PM
That 292 chevy wont take much of a turbo You better get a 301ac

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 03, 2015 02:02PM
[www.youtube.com]

So a 292 Chevy won't take much of a turbo??

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 03, 2015 02:43PM
Umh... nice video but it says 19 lbs. of boost! 19... 19... ONLY 19... that's not too impressive. An AC301 can take a serious beating and would be money better spent. If you go the Chevy route I wish you luck but I think you be much happier in the long run with the 301. Plus you'd actually have something that's legal in more places so it has resale value.

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 04, 2015 12:39AM
I think that truck is pretty cool in the videos, but as stated above I would go with the Allis engine. It would give you the option of pulling it in a LLSS class in the future and probably make it easier to sell when you want too. It's a lot of money to spend on a engine to run in a couple brush pulls. Look close at the dyno video. All that custom plumbing is expensive not to mention the internal parts.

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 04, 2015 03:12AM
I agree with going to the 301 allis motor, my father and I used to pull a 180 with 3 chargers running average of 135 pounds of boost on diesel with oem head and block and got a long real well, very tough little block

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 04, 2015 02:38PM
How do you keep a crankshaft in a 301 AC??...Several 180's in my area had lots of crankshaft problems when ran hard and are no longer being pulled..

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 05, 2015 11:46PM
There comes a point when you get much over 800 HP or so, the main caps need to be girdled. They are not really known for crank troubles if the crank is STD x STD. If the cranks have been re-ground undersized, the radius may have been altered which will break cranks.

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 06, 2015 12:30PM
Just like a fat woman, put a girdle on her. Grove main bearings all the way around and increase oil clearance. MACK

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 06, 2015 02:39PM
They had girdles and billet main caps...A std std 301 crank is hard to find..One 301 bends crank snouts...

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 07, 2015 01:22AM
Throwing in our two cents worth. We have ran two 301 block tractors since 2006. We have put loads of boost from 3 chargers and lots of rpm, enough to split 2 blocks. Even with these massive explosions we never ever broke a crankshaft. Mack hit it on the head with what he stated and I will add one more and that is 100 lbs or more of oil pressure and external oil pump and regulator. The only problem we had was keeping the center main from disintegrating. A counter balanced crank will cure that. You can spin one upwards of 6000 rpm and 175-200 lbs boost and no billet main caps if all done right.

Re: turbo alcohol build AC d17 December 07, 2015 07:03AM
Our experience with the Allis 301 is it is a very good motor. I run and alcohol 301 and help with a friends twin charger diesel 301. Cranks arent an issue the only trouble we have had is from a out of adjustment clutch on the diesel that did in the end thrust on the center main. Really keeping on the clutch solved the problems. Alcohol there is no issue. Great bottom end just wish the head was a crossflow. I can do you alot of the parts such as Girdle and Headgaskets. Winking

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009