Hauler December 23, 2015 01:32AM
Has any one ever used a dry van and dropping the floor behind the wheels to start the ramp like some do with a box on back of a truck for a hauler. What would be the pros-cons of doing this.
My feeling is that ya can pick them up cheap, you got 53 feet all on one floor and blowing tires shouldn't be a problem, any other thoughts?

Re: Hauler December 23, 2015 07:30AM
There a several teams utilizing a single drop van trailer with a "dovetail." It creates a better angle for loading the vehicle so the ramps don't have to be as long. The few problems with using a standard dry van trailer is the height of the floor. If you put in a side door the amount of height will make it difficult to get in and out of the trailer. Even with nice steps it will be bulky and heavy and take up interior room. You will also want to put a roller on the floor at the start of dovetail for the winch cable. If not, it will wear the floor and cable. Interior height is also something else to consider. If you aren't wanting to stack anything (vehicles; Support vehicles; tires, engines, etc) it is a moot point though. Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

Jessie Petro

Re: Hauler December 23, 2015 01:49PM
I would definitely put a dove in the back. My tag trailer has a 5 foot dove in the back. Combined with a 10 foot ramp door it makes for a very nice loading angle. Per Jessie, yes you will need a roller at the top of the dove. I'm with you on the tires. I had to put my foot down and demand 20K axles and 22.5 rubber. I know a lot of fellow pullers that have tire problems. Sometimes we get in a hurry and the short tires can't take the heat.

Re: Hauler December 23, 2015 02:25PM
Can anyone post photos I like this idea more and more

Re: Hauler December 23, 2015 07:20PM
You can buy untouched single drops pretty cheap and they are easier to resale.
Need air ride, so you drop the airbags and make it even lower for loading.
102 inch wide resales easier too.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009