Propane vs. gas HP? January 05, 2016 04:48AM
I'm curious if anyone knows how much power difference there would be running propane as opposed to gas, either 87 octane farm gas or the high end race gas? I've seen a number of yellow tractors on propane, and I just wonder if they are missing out on HP or if they are on to something. Thanks!

Re: Propane vs. gas HP? January 08, 2016 06:25AM
Does nobody know? Or is this a secret they don't want out?

Re: Propane vs. gas HP? January 08, 2016 09:14AM
Propane is 100-110 octane so you can run more compression compared to regular gas but the octane rating on some racing gas is even higher than propane. Propane also vaporizes in the carb. and displaces about 6 % of the intake volume. The people I have talked to really like propane and say it is easier to tune and some say they make more power than gas and others say they lose a little bit. In theory racing gas has more BTU's than propane and should make more power. Liquid propane injection on the other hand is suppose to work really and can make as much power if not more than gas due to the intake charge air cooling as vaporization takes place in the manifold but , is very expensive and most systems use an EFI to make it work and this technology is still in it's infancy , there are some kits available for Ford trucks and some cars.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009