sfi flywheel steel grade? January 10, 2016 01:04PM
Making some changes from wet to dry clutch, wondering what grade/type of steel sfi certified flywheels are made of? When using a bolt on face for clutch disc contact, thinking mild steel is sufficient? Have a capable shop for machining and material. Sfi certification is not a requirement for this class, but would like to make it as close to spec as possible when building.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 10, 2016 04:13PM
Just buy a SFI certified flywheel...The liability of having some shop build something that should work is too great, (in my opinion)

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 10, 2016 11:05PM
I would agree. What you you will also find is that you aren't really saving any money. I made a couple of Moline flywheels a few years ago and by the time I measured them up, bought the material and machined them. Only saved the guys a couple of hundred dollars. I would recommend listing on the wanted page for one. SBJD should be common enough that some should have one they are no longer needing.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 10, 2016 11:38PM
Gee, thanks guys, that's just exactly the predictable answer I was expecting. Do you suppose I had already thought that through? You might not have any idea what the rate will be at the shop I have in mind, so don't judge. It is not a requirement to go sfi, or even steel, I was just being proactive.I thought it was a simple request. I will carry on anyways, we'll just grab a plate of mild steel and run with it.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 12:15AM
With an attitude like that you are gonna have a helluva time getting any advice or help. You came on here asking and got excellent advice and basically told those guys to go to Hell. Hope you have fun.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 12:16AM
this is the kind of mentality that will one day bring a end to ALL forms of pulling

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 01:29AM
You did not say brand but buy a used flywheel and have bolt pattern drill in it. I have seen a few on for sale page recently for price of the 4340 that you should be looking for.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 03:09PM
changing
Gee, thanks guys, that's just exactly the predictable answer I was expecting. Do you suppose I had already thought that through? You might not have any idea what the rate will be at the shop I have in mind, so don't judge. It is not a requirement to go sfi, or even steel, I was just being proactive.I thought it was a simple request. I will carry on anyways, we'll just grab a plate of mild steel and run with it.

So you think my answer was predictable? I did offer that my opinion was "My Opinion" My Opinion was formed years ago when I witnessed a faulty flywheel and clutch assembly kill 3 people in the stands at a drag race. Sorry if I offended you..

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 01:36AM
made a couple local and it didn't save much money done one myself save a little money but used 4340 each time

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 04:19AM
Thank you very much sir! I certainly appreciate the answer, as that was the info I needed based on the question I had asked. Simple question, simple answer.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 07:56AM
Eye Rolling wow

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 11:26AM
I'm certainly glad this individual isn't in my class.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 12:43PM
Well, would you rather he ran a cast flywheel? I'm betting there'd be alot more chatter about that.

Geesh, what's the big deal about making your own out of steel, been done many times.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 02:16PM
That's not the problem, he asked for and got advice, didn't like what he heard so he got pissed.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 03:01PM
Sandusky Sales in Columbia ky sells a lot of steel 28 cents a pound that gets made into sfi steel fly wheels and mild is whats used

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 11, 2016 11:22PM
That's very interesting. What is the sfi process then? Does it get x-rayed, magnafluxed, and stamped after machining? Steel has only been this cheap for a short time and 4340 is still way more than .28 per pound. The sfi process must cost a significant amount. Not calling you a liar, just inquisitive

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 12, 2016 01:35AM
Not trying to hijack this thread, or wind anyone up, but what about using aluminum guys? What characteristics change by doing this? Is anybody using it? Benefits?

It would appear the guy who started the thread was looking for material information, not whether he should by an sfi unit or not. Not sure why everyone got so excited....

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 12, 2016 02:48AM
There are a number of reasons.

1. The time effort and money that sfi suppliers spend to conform to keep there certification and liability is enormous. That question basically asks how can I get the same product without the expense.

2. The liability of giving incorrect info to someone to do it themselves, have a failure and look for a scapegoat. It never starts out that way until someone is hurt and attorneys are involved.

3. The mentality that everyone is entitled to all information to save themselves a buck by shortcutting those who did it right.

4. If you are going to do something yourself, do it yourself. Learn the materials and their properties that allows them to perform the task and not be a hazard. You will end up smarter than the long run for not taking the short cut.

5. When advice is given accept it like a man whether you like the advice or not. Its your decision to either politely not follow it or to be a genuine a$$ about it, however remember that when you need advice again.

6. If your mind is made up about what you are going to do anyway do it and don't waste peoples times on the opinions you already knew you were going to get.

These are just a couple reasons that come to mind.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 12, 2016 03:58AM
Very well said !

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 12, 2016 07:24AM
Nevermind, I got the info I needed on another forum.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 12, 2016 02:45PM
changing
Nevermind, I got the info I needed on another forum.

Simple question.
What forum is that?

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 12, 2016 03:59PM
my experience with aluminum was not the best do to the shrink/swell of the material maybe there is an aluminum that will not do this but I couldn't keep the flywheel in the jd tight changed to steel and eliminated that particular problem

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 13, 2016 06:55AM
What a dick, why would anyone suggest anything to this J/O ;;;; let it happen

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 13, 2016 08:28AM
He was on the How to build a Bullet Proof Roto-Tiller Clutch and Flywheel Forum.

Re: sfi flywheel steel grade? January 13, 2016 09:22AM
Kristy you seem like a very disturbed individual with this post and the one you made about Gordyville

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009