crop seeds February 07, 2016 03:23AM
This is off topic here but since a lot of you/us farm, here goes: Can somebody please tell me why you don't use seeds from your harvested crop of corn or soybeans for seed the following year? Does or has anyone tried this? We always used to do this with oats and barley, but never corn and soybeans. Please give some answers and/or reasoning. Thanks!

Re: crop seeds February 07, 2016 05:18AM
You must not farm or you would know the answer to that. I'll give you a clue, Monsanto.

Re: crop seeds February 07, 2016 09:10AM
Sorry, not understanding. I know all about Monsanto...patent bulls%*t? but would the soy beans seeds produce a decent crop if reused for a crop the following spring? As I said, we always used oats and barley...

Re: crop seeds February 07, 2016 10:38AM
The soybeans would do well. The corn would not. The corn would not pass down all of its good traits. It takes special cross pollination to get the best traits in today's hybrid corn.

Re: crop seeds February 07, 2016 10:39AM
Ya you can use them on all your acres, but when the Law Suits and Jail time gets over with, you may not be in good enough shape to start farming again. Everything, in other words Seed Technology, is Patented.

Re: crop seeds February 07, 2016 10:39AM
soybeans are not a hybrid.
saved seed was the norm on half the acres before. GMO.
GMO beans would grow,but the fine is stiff.

Re: crop seeds February 07, 2016 12:25PM
Then there are also Seed Patents and the Plant Variety Protection Act to consider, too. Wikipedia is a good place to start your study about each of them. Good luck in trying to side step those legal issues no matter how well your homegrown 'kept' seed may produce a new crop.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009