2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions December 31, 2009 07:13AM
1) When did they start pulling at the Missouri State Fair? What was it like there in the beginning? Was it a big pull right off the bat, or did it take a few years to become a big pull?

2) There are pics of Molines in the 1970's thread. There is another Moline puller from Missouri that I wonder about.
Does anyone know whatever became of the Wiss family from Hawk Point? They used to be regulars at Louisville, and I saw them pull in Illinois a few times as late as the mid 1990s. Where are they today? Do they still own the Yellow Runner?

thanks

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 02, 2010 01:45AM
Question #1 If I recall the 1st pulls that I know of at Mo State Fair were around 1967 or 68 [ I know it was sometime in the late 60's[. A Group of people [I knew several of them just don't recall but a few of the names and there is a picture of this group that I have seen] got together and started the Mo State Tractor Puller Assoc [MSTPA] and if I recall correctly that started the 1st Mo State Fair tractor pulls.If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I know Andy Smart, Rodney Garnett, Elroy Hackler, and about 6 or 8 other fellows started that assoc. and that pull was it beginning. I know in the beginning it had eliminations pulls all day and that evening it would pull for the Mo. State Championships.

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 02, 2010 03:10AM
In 1963-64-65 the MO state championship pull was held at Fulton,MO.I was there in 1964 and 1965 and that hooked me for life.I remember there were over 30 tractors per class and they pulled half the night.

Starting in 1966 there were pulls at the Missouri State Fair put on by MSTPA and later on by other organizations.Between 1966-2007 I always attended at least one day of pulling there and have the results wrote down.The 1966 pull was open to tractors from anywhere and there were 30 plus tractors per class.In 1966 a friend of mine won the 7000 lb class on a 460 Farmall beating a 4020 JD from Iowa.In 1967 and for quite a few years after the pull was only open to MO tractors but the classes were still large.

Here I am pulling at the 1977 MO State Fair pull.I'm just coming off the line in the 15,000 Out Of Field class.It was 225 horse max and they dynoed you.I think I got 7th place out of 25 plus tractors and wasnt that far from 1st place.

I've seen Don Wiss take the Yellow Runner G-1000 down the track many a time.I think that he retired about 10-12 years ago.I have no idea if he still has it but would sure love to see a picture of it.

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 02, 2010 03:28AM
I started to say that 1966 was the 1st year and you are right about the Fulton pull. We didn't miss that one and that pull was what the Mo State Fair pull was born from. Man that is going back to some early days of pulling. I manage to pull a 2nd out of about 55-60 entries in the 8000 lb stock class at the Mo State Fair pull around the late 80's Classes was big and track conditions changed so it was a roll of the dice where you finished. Randy Clair on a deere out of ILL beat me that year.

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 02, 2010 03:51AM
My Dad pulled a M Farmall at Fulton in about 1966 hauled it on a old truck he thought it would fall off of. He said that they didn't grade the track after every pull like they do now, were everyone would spin out at the next guy had to go thru or else. He said it was just like a graveyard at end off the track.

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 03, 2010 08:02AM
here is a couple of don that i found
around 1979 i think

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 03, 2010 08:24AM
Thanks.I think I've seen that tractor pull 25 times and never took a picture.

Heres a guy I'll bet your Dad pulled against.Kimber Wilson from Smithfield,Illinois.He had a Wards and then pulled a pair of 460's.What year did your Dad start pulling the UB MM?

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 03, 2010 09:31AM
heres a couple of pics dated 1972 not for sure if that was the first or second year with the UB

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 03, 2010 09:47AM
Fordman is the picture on the right pulling the jeep at Pleasant Hill ?

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 03, 2010 09:53AM
the jeep was used as weight on the sled i think it was glenn orrs first sled had a long pan on it the heavier the class the heavier the tractor on the front of the sled

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions January 02, 2010 11:54AM
I believe Don still has the Moline in his shed.

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions August 07, 2010 02:40PM
I am Don Wiss's granddaughter and he has a majority of his tractors in a shed on his farm. I used to climb on them when I was little. He has some other old Molines that he has restored throughout the years as well. It was really neat for me to find this forum about my grandpa and see some of the pictures of him pulling early in his career. I got to see him pull a lot towards the end of his career and always loved watching it.

Re: 2 Historical Missouri tractor pulling questions February 24, 2016 10:02AM
My dad won 1or2 of the Mo state pulls in the 60s

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro