Needled John deere March 11, 2016 01:41PM
I needled the crosses in my differential in my 4430 but it still pushes so dang hard across a flat floor. Is this just the nature of a JD or what else should be done to make them turn easier. Different axles?

Re: Needled John deere March 11, 2016 02:01PM
Do you have factory brakes? Putting hats and calipers will make it roll a lot easier.

Re: Needled John deere March 12, 2016 12:04AM
Thanks. JR I'll have to look into that. I know I'm loosing power and distance.

Re: Needled John deere March 11, 2016 03:51PM
Actually if you were pushing the tractor straight, the differential wouldn't be doing any at all except the whole housing would be rotating. It would only cause an issue if the spider gears were galled to the cross and you were trying to turn the tractor while pushing.

What might make it roll hard would be the axle bearings, The tapered bearings on the outside of the differential carrier, the planetary gears or like was already mentioned, the brakes. I have seen some planetary gears that were really galled on the sides. There is a thrust washer between the planetary gears and the planetary carrier but I have seen some where the washer was galled so bad that the washer was welded to the carrier. The fix for this is to machine the planetary carrier to accept needle thrust bearings. Usually these planetaries are more of a problem taking hp going down the track when they are really under a load rather than just making it hard to roll around.

These planetary gears are straight cut gears and you wouldn't think they would have much side thrust but many pullers have trouble with these until they have them needled.

One other thing that could make it hard to roll could be one the gears on the pinion shaft that is trying gall to the pinion. This usually only happens when the transmission pump goes bad though.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,654, Posts: 229,730, Members: 3,326.
This forum: Topics: 37,070, Posts: 225,916.

Our newest member JD_8520