Frozen Boost intercooler December 28, 2014 12:29PM
Has anyone ran the frozen boost intercooler on a 466 ih before? If so do they work good? Just trying to get some info on one. Thanks.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 29, 2014 10:59AM
Has anyone used a frozen boost intercooler? Just looking for some reviews.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 29, 2014 11:46AM
I have used one on a diesel pulling truck for 2 years....zero complaints.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 29, 2014 12:19PM
What one did you use? If you remember.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 30, 2014 04:19AM
[www.frozenboost.com]

I modified the ins and outs to 1.5 NPT. 2 ins and 2 outs now. It was (2) 3/4npt fittings

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler April 10, 2016 01:57PM
hows it going can you send me some pics of how you did the 2 in & 2 out 1.5.
email Prmartin1970@gmail.com

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 30, 2014 06:01AM
That's the one I was looking at. Why did you modify the fittings?

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 30, 2014 11:24AM
To move more water.The (2) 3/4 dia npt fittings are not big enough to move the amount of water via my 2 rule pumps. I can melt 100 lbs of ice in a 20 second run.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler December 31, 2014 04:13AM
Ran what was their largest a the time on a 640 IH. The $500 one. Also modified he fittings for two in and two out with larger bunge. Good cheap intercooler. Lots of diesel trucks running them. Lots of guys going to nicer ones once they get the money though too.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler January 01, 2015 03:23AM
OK thanks for the info.

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler January 01, 2015 11:37AM
What is the advantages of a precision PT2000
I see guys running them too.
seems to me the price on the frozen boost is better
is there such a thing as too large intercooler?

What other brands are out there trying to decide on where
to spend the money

Re: Frozen Boost intercooler January 01, 2015 01:57PM
It is a balancing act between cool air and pressure drop across the core. The frozen boost coolers require more core area than the good coolers to do the same amount of work. Most that have gone from a china core to a high quality core have noticed a benefit of going to the better core. That being said, if you can modify the china cores to take a bunch of water they will work for the money.

any other brands out there? January 02, 2015 12:10AM
Any know of Big boy intercooler I belive they were made in Wisconsin?
I wood think there are other brands out there?

What is being used for coolant pumps?

How big of ice box should a tractor have?

Re: any other brands out there? January 02, 2015 12:26AM
One would need more information to properly size an intercooler. What class? How many cfm of air are you expecting? Turbo/Head?? Charge air temps? etc... I would check with your engine builder.....Or ask some in your class who are willing to share competitive information to get someone going in the right direction

Re: any other brands out there? January 02, 2015 08:20AM
The better coolers like those from Precision do the same amount of work but more efficiently with less loss and a smaller package. The cheaper ones also often need some reinforcements to keep the end tanks on. I've seen precision ones that needed to be reinforced as well though.

There definatley is such a thing as too big of a cooler. You don't want to push the air through a huge core if you don't have too as it's inefficient.

On some classes with smaller cube motors they can run into issues not being able to make enough heat on the line to get spooled up so they will not turn the pumps on until the boost is up.

There's also the real estate issue. If you cram a massive W2A on your tractor, you need to make sure you have room for enough ice so that it can do its job the entire way down the track, you don't really want to run out part way.

The best thing to do is to try and find others with a tractor similar to yours and ask some questions. Usually someone will at least give you some general advice on what size you want and how much ice you might go through. Many turbo and/or engine builders may also have an idea as well.

The one I helped set up on an IH 640 hot/pro farm was a frozen boost Type 12 W2A with fittings added out the back for dual in dual out. Two shurflo aquatiger pumps, one would be turned on at the line and the other would come on with water injection. Ice box would hold 50lbs of ice and it was just enough. Everything was plumbed with 1" hose. Mounted W2A behind headlights with inlet/outlet facing motor, mounted ice box where fuel tank was and pumps underneath it.

The Rule bilge pumps are popular, can flow more and are cheaper than the aquatigers.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,640, Posts: 229,706, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520