Educate Me on Enclosed Trailers April 20, 2016 10:43PM
Looking to go to an enclosed trailer. Wanting to tow with a pickup, so no air ride or air brakes. Probably 35-40ft. Would be towing a 8000lb pickup. What should i be looking for? What is the inside width on these trailers that are 102 wide? Why are some called 'van' trailers? If i were to find a cheap trailer that i could convert, what should i look for then? How do most rear doors work and do some of these trailers come equipped with one that will work or do they all need modifications?

Re: Educate Me on Enclosed Trailers April 21, 2016 04:36AM
You need a normal enclosed gooseneck trailer. You would want (3) 7k axles under it with heavy sidewall tires. You will likely need extra height as most standard trailers are only 6'-6" inside. Most 102" trailers are 96-98" wide inside, however you will have wheel wells inside the trailer so you won't have that width to work with unless you ramp over them (now you will need even more height). The next thing you will want to think about is how you want to load the truck (forward or backward) Many times loading backward is better to help reduce tong weight (especially towing with a pickup). Most read doors are also the ramp, this is okay, however most are not reinforced very well and will bow and sag, so you will likely need to have a special door made. You can't use a van trailer as this is referring to a drop deck semi trailer. Really your best bet is to look for a trailer that someone already used to haul a pulling vehicle, it will be built heavier in the right places and have the height and width you need. It's tough to convert a trailer that was build for drag cars or oval track to truly meet the needs of a pulling vehicle.

Re: Educate Me on Enclosed Trailers April 21, 2016 10:55AM
Allen Ulmer had/has a nice one for sale and is already setup for hauling pullers

Re: Educate Me on Enclosed Trailers April 24, 2016 08:38AM
My parents have an enclosed trailer for sale that hauled a pulling truck. Setup ready to roll. It's a gooseneck. 38' long 102" wide. Two winches. Fold down back door and one small side door. Inside lighting. Small room for storage and a bed. Small room has a window unit air conditioner. They have retired from pulling and no longer use it. Please call Robert at 573-682-5250 if interested. Centralia, MO.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520