Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 01:54AM
I've seen footage of a Farmall Super MTA LLSS that pulls with Battle of the Bluegrass and was curious as to what it would take to build a Farmall M LLSS. For a block my guess would be the 281ci diesel from the 450. What would the turbo options be? Would the HX60 work in it? How much bore could one safely get with running a turbo? What heads to use? Would running the block less than 315ci to run two turbos be better? What rpm's would the tractor be churning? What work to the transmission is needed?

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 02:51AM
Unless you're a diehard Farmall M lover, I'd go with something else. It's hard to get good air flow through the 4 cylinder head even when turbo charged. I'd look at another International model with preferably a 6 cylinder engine, especially if you plan on turning some R.P.M.'s

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 03:12AM
That's what I was figuring. I know those four cylinders do not like running high rpm. I am more or less interested in trying different setups from the usual.

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 05:23AM
Ask Ted Dibble from Binderlite.

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 06:04AM
Dibble's use the diesel engine and converted it to spark ignition. They definitely had to be creative to make it work as well as it does. I wouldn't let anyone claim that they knew for sure that a model of tractor wouldn't work. This class is all about making whatever you want to start with work. I have no idea how an M would work using any of the gas engines that are available. There were quite a few guys including Ted Dibble that ran them in the NTPA Super Stock classes in the 70's. If you do break some stuff, there won't be a problem finding cheap parts.

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 08:48AM
Diesel block would be a must. Since you have to use a factory head, the third valve is of no use to you. You wouldn't be able to start on gas and convert to diesel as that motor was originally intended. That would fall under the "no dual fuel rule." I doubt anybody teching would like seeing a gas tank under the hood of a turbo diesel llss. If it was truly your desire to run the MD style, you would have to cut four large holes through your head and rebuild the entire valve configuration with billit inserts welded in place of what was originally there. this will allow you to run two valves instead of the factory three and space them out in a more beneficial way. This will also allow you to machine new injector pockets in this head to do away with the old "pre-cup" design. Have billit pistons done up with a nice bowl to accommodate the new injector design. Custom rockers will be necessary to open the valves. With nicer injectors comes the need for a better pump. Four cylinder p-pumps can be had. I have seen a couple for sale on here in recent past. I once had an injection pump drive gear here off of the early 806 pump that matched up exactly with the MD pump gear, but had a different pattern in the middle. It looked to me like it would allow a guy to put the newer bosch pump on the older MD motor. I will look around for that gear. I would think that you might be better off with a small cube alkie if you are considering running a M chassis and replacing parts with other easy to find factory components. Keeping the torque down might get you through a few weekends in a row. Not sure. Rod and Main bearings for the diesel blocks are getting harder and harder to find. It would be an expensive venture I think. Maybe be easier to get permission to run M sheetmetal on a newer rear like a triple 6? Put spark plugs in a dt360 and hold on? Good luck and please post pictures when you decide what you want to do.

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 10:43AM
I am just looking at possible setups for now. If I wanted to to a six cylinder I would not do an M. If I would do an IH six cylinder I would want it to be a 606. Other than that I would do a Case 970 with the 451 on diesel.

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 08:14AM
Ted and Tony's tractor is pretty creative in making the four cylinder competitive; Its a unique piece for sure and they've done their homework. I was by the shop last week and they're hoping to get it back out for 2016 after hurting it at Lanesville, IN in the fall of 2014.
"

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 10:22AM
Isnt the little binder on alky?

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 12:04PM
I pull against a M with a twin turbo 4bt cummins that is really tough on diesel

Re: Farmall M LLSS April 22, 2016 01:07PM
DIbbles old M probably wouldn't be legal in very many places if the rules were pushed the head is as close to being home made as you can get it .And a M rear wouldn't last but a few pulls

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520