European Input needed May 06, 2016 09:44AM
I am writing a story for "the PULLER" about Canadian pullers. In 1983, the Verheyen's and Helm's were invited to pull at Ahoy Stadium. They stayed with legendary puller Jan VanAlphen. Is his name spelled correctly? And what did "Snoopy" have for engine(s) then?

Re: European Input needed May 06, 2016 11:52AM
According to the book A FULL PULL by Geoff Ashcroft, the name Jan Van Alphen is spelled correct, Snoopy was powered by a 40 liter Packard engine from 1979 to 1986 as indicated by the book as well. I hope this helps

Re: European Input needed May 06, 2016 02:06PM
Hey Dave let us know what issue that article comes out in. I would really like to get that one.

Re: European Input needed May 07, 2016 03:24AM
Thank you LES !

Robert, actually 'the early pulling journey' started with NY pulling in the April "the PULLER". May and June will be CTPA Pullers. July will cover CTPA organization with its chapters, Seaway Valley and Great Lakes, Twin Creek pull, Spook Motorsports and my pulling involvement. August will be a rather standard "Legends" story about MacVicar Bros. JD 4320. That will likely conclude the Canadian pulling series. It has all kinds of parallels to what was occurring in the U.S. and is part of the reason this series was approved by the editorial staff. Several Canadians spent rather significant time pulling in U.S., too.

Robert, sounds like you need to phone Sarah and subscribe for the whole year. Are you aware Gord Oughtred was featured in his own story last June?
Is your tractor such to pull in the LLSS Northern series? If so, which ones are you planning to attend?

Re: European Input needed May 07, 2016 08:33AM
No problem Mr. Dann, Glad I could help.

Re: European Input needed May 07, 2016 11:47AM
I ended my subscription last year and am sorry now that you are running these articles. I seen the Gord Oughtred last summer . I was picking the puller up in TSC when we were in the US when we were there but never seems there anymore. Might have to renew. Yes I plan to hit a few Northern Llss events . Maybe the New York ones as well. We did a major rebuild this winter and the extent was more work and taken longer than I thought. We will be out on June hopefully in time for Shedden.

Re: European Input needed May 08, 2016 03:01AM
Just to had some more precision to this, one other club from Quebec was affiliated to the CTPA (association sportive de tire de tracteur du Québec). I use to be on the board of the CTPA at that time and John Massenberg and I were representing CTPA on the NTPA board. I will be glad to read your report. By the way, I bought from Gordon Outhtred the D21 (Canadian Hauler) in 1984 and I pull it for 3 years than sold it to an other puller. That tractor is now own by a guy in lake St John Québec. I hope these informations help. Those are very good memories.

More Canadian Input needed May 08, 2016 03:52AM
Thanks Pierre. I was not aware ASTTQ was a chapter of CTPA. I will update the story and add in this information.
What class does that D21 pull in today?
Also, can you tell me who bought Goodhue Bros. 4430? He and his wife recently told me they not remeber who but said it was "two Frenchman".
if you prefer, phone me at 574 - too 91 - 8 zero 25.
Thanks.

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 09, 2016 12:52PM
We pull a combination of prostock, diesel super and alcool super all together. The D21 is still running 2 turbos set up like it was when I pull it.The pro and diesel super run at 8200 pounds and the alcool 7500 with a 505 ci. limit. Those are about the same rule as NYTPA run. For the John Deere tractor I don't have idea of the new owner is. I would not be surprise Gaetan bought it !!!!

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 09, 2016 01:16PM
Pierre if I remember right the Goodhue Bros went to Carl Foley in Carp Ontario near Ottawa; I believe it went through a barn fire years ago.Me, I bought Frank Lafferty's John Deere 4430,"My Way' , back in 1984.I sold it to Dick Bonner in Ohio 20 years ago.

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 09, 2016 02:29PM
"hlove", I just sent you an email. Hope to hear from you.
Thanks Pierre for your input and update. I wrote parts of your first reply info into two parts of the story series.

More Canadian Input needed May 14, 2016 01:40PM
Just saw this post and wanted to comment there was some old pictures on the swotpa website at one point of jack grant and Eugene bougart running the older super stocks, as well there was a local puller in this area who pulled CTPA, Bruce Hallman from New Dundee, he ran a 4010 deere on alcohol with a super charger, at his funeral there were pictures and trophies on display, Dave if you are interested I can get some family contact information for you, I know Bruce's tractor is still around it has been turned back to a farm tractor, Bruce's mechanic was a local dealer Darcy Zinn, who had a deere dealer in New Dundee, Ontario. I'm very interested in reading the articles as I have heard stories for years about my dad and his friends going to Toronto to watch indoor pulling in the old coliseum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 01:40PM by derekb.

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 15, 2016 07:52AM
Derekb, Hallman was one of my competitors. And in my research to add to the story, it appears that Irvine "Gomer" Ball from Kemptville replaced his 88 with buying Hallman's in '80. Thanks for your input. The story is written with the first segment in the May issue with three more to come. Trust you and everyone will enjoy the trip down memory lane. Concluding all my CKCO radio pulling report broadcasts, I would say: Remember, the more you cheer for your favorite CTPA puller, the more we bend the throttle."

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 15, 2016 10:39AM
Excellent Dave I look forward to reading it. Part of the Bruce Hallman story doesn't end with his tractor being sold. When dad and I started pulling in the early 2000's Bruce gave us his suitcase weights on loan, it was his intention that they remain on a pulling tractor where they belong. I am currently working on a new tractor and Bruce's weights will be back on an alcohol tractor. Dave are you any relation to Doug Dann up here in Ontario?

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 15, 2016 01:12PM
Glad to hear Bruce's weights will continue to be on a dedicated pulling tractor. Which class and circuit will it be built for?

Doug is next younger brother. I preceded him by half a year in our move to Ontario. I introduced him to our readers in the April "the PULLER".

Derek, sounds like you, too, need to have a yearly "the PULLER" subscription. But I'm curious to know your last name. Have I met you and / or your dad many years ago ('76 to '85)? Were you at the 2013 SWOTPA Melbourne pull as I was there helping Kathi McNeil with her photography skills?

Re: More Canadian Input needed May 16, 2016 02:20AM
Dave, I run with OTTPA and formerly COTPA, the weights were on a JD 6030 we campaigned in modified farm and now will be on a white in our light pro stock which is very similar to LLSS. My last name is Bruder and my father and I have known Doug for a long time as we have both worked at the dealership where Doug was an owner and have bought many toys from Doug. We may have met several years ago if you have attended the grand river pull in elora Ontario.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009