The state of motorsports: Which are thriving and which are hurting? May 28, 2016 01:13AM
Indycar? The Indy 500 is a complete sellout including infield. Record crowd expected. That race is thriving better than ever. The rest of the Indycar series? Not so much, though I understand they draw very well on the road courses but tv ratings aren't good.

NASCAR? Honestly, I don't follow as closely as I used to except for restrictor plate races. Talladega seemed to have a huge crowd. The other races? I see lots of empty painted seats. Maybe someone who follows NASCAR more closely can tell us how they are doing? Also, I'd be curious to know if the Nationwide and Trucks are holding their own or if they are also down?

(personal opinion- I lost a lot of interest years ago when they implemented this contrived Chase format. Based on sagging attendance, it appears I'm not the only one. Also, inconsistent, arbitrary rules enforcement has caused me to lose lots of respect.)

NHRA? Live attendance- I believe it has been improving. Gainesville was a hot ticket. They are struggling to get full fields in top fuel and pro stock, although the TV move to Fox Sports has been a genius move. Their tv ratings are way up over what they had been on ESPN in prior years. The pro stock change hasn't drawn new racers yet. The one division that is going gangbusters is Pro Modified with 28-30 at each race when they are scheduled, but they won't bite the bullet and go ahead and add them as a full time class.

Tractor pulling? Based on Benson, NC, vehicle counts are overall pretty strong. Attendance? The PPL events seem to draw (except Hamburg), and NTPA and Outlaws draw well. I think if we can get the smaller organizations to draw more, that would help. Overall, it seems as if pulling is on an upward trajectory. Pulling in Europe seems to draw very well live attendance, but I'm not sure if it is on TV across the pond.

F1? Don't follow it any more, but at least in the US it seems to have lost steam.

Dirt tract racing? Having the Nascar trucks at Eldora was a boost. I know at Eldora, the car counts at the World 100 are down quite a bit from the 1990s. Perhaps folks on here who attend dirt track races can tell is if the dirt scene for both sprints and late models is doing well or struggling.

What do you say? Which forms of motorsports are doing well and which are not?
Then, the next important question is WHY are the ones that are doing well succeeding, and WHY are the ones not doing well struggling?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 01:15AM by The Original Michael.

Re: The state of motorsports: Which are thriving and which are hurting? May 28, 2016 02:46AM
I love the nhra. I would rather see mike Dunn in the commentary booth but he didn't want too. The nitro classes are so expensive to run in and the time slips that was recorded at Topeka was unbelievable in qualifying. Very enjoyable to watch. Pro mod should be added in my opinion.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520