1st Time Puller July 17, 2016 05:56PM
I just traded for an older (1997) lifted Ford F150 4x4 with a 5.0 and 5 speed. I thought I might run it in our local fair street class truck pull. I am clueless as to set up though ..... tire pressure, high or low range, gear to use ..... any suggestions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Most county fairs around me only allow in - county trucks in this class so its hard for me to go elsewhere and "practice run". Also, any engine modifications I would like to also hear! Thanks!

Re: 1st Time Puller July 18, 2016 03:16AM
I am not of much help when it comes to engine modifications, but I can help you as far as some general tips. I have seen many local gas truck classes where breakage is almost certain to happen to at least one puller, drive shaft being the common thing to go. With a half ton you are at more of a disadvantage. Three quarter or one tons are a much better choice for pulling, but a half ton can get the job done. First thing is to make sure your fwd locks in as you won't get off the line without it. My other suggestion is do not hammer it off the line, give it enought power to get of the line but not everything you got (this may cause damage to the truck). Watch the other pullers in the class as far as what line to use and when to hammer it on the track. Good luck and have fun!

Re: 1st Time Puller July 18, 2016 10:08AM
Your truck is 1996 or older with a 5.0. 1997 truck would have a 4.6. Low range,2nd gear and easy on the throttle because hopping trucks make parts guys smile
ear to ear. As for engine modifications the best thing to do is jack up the radiator cap and drive a diesel under it.

Re: 1st Time Puller July 26, 2016 08:18PM
Thanks so much for the replies! Been There was correct .... it is a 1996 model. Just a couple of follow-up questions?

1. Will low range 2nd gear allow for enough ground speed to build?

2. Am I more likely to twist the drive shaft or break U-joints?
a. If I changed the u-joints before hand would it put the drive shaft in higher jeopardy?

My thought is that I can absorb $50 +/- in u-joints way more than hundreds in a drive shaft
Thanks again for any and all replies!

Re: 1st Time Puller July 26, 2016 11:50PM
My advice is don't do it if it is your daily driver. You'll twist off your driveshaft and everyone in the stands will laugh. Happens here all the time.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,645, Posts: 229,712, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520