fracture split connecting rods ?? August 26, 2016 08:23PM
im wondering if these fracture split connecting rods used in some of the newer diesel engines
would be stronger than the old machined style or even strong enough to hold 700hp at 3200 rpm?

not sure how many engines had them stock just wonderin if anybody had any experince with them pulling?

Re: fracture split connecting rods ?? August 26, 2016 10:46PM
I have no personal experience with the fractured cap rods but there have been many articles in Engine Builder magazine in the last couple of years regarding the rods in both gas and diesel engines. My take away is that 700 HP is the very top end of their limit.

Also they are not rebuildable, if the big end goes out of spec you need new connecting rods.

The process of building the powdered metal connecting rod was a less expensive manufacturing process for the factory. The fractured cap was a way to give that particular material and method better strength.

IMO if you are approaching that power level you will need a different type of rod.

Re: fracture split connecting rods ?? August 27, 2016 12:10AM
I think this is a very example specific issue. I'm not sure what engine and rods you are speaking of specifically, but I know there is a huge difference in 7.3 PMR rods and those in the 6.0. 7.3 PMR's are rated cautiously at 400hp before you need to be careful, although with very conservative fuel on the bottom, they can live up to 600. 6.0 rods are all PMR from the factory. This entire bottom end is rated to 800hp all day long, and I've seen multiple examples that have hit 1000hp with a few north of 1100. PMR's built properly can be plenty strong. That said, I'll take a forged or billet if I have the choice for big hp.

Re: fracture split connecting rods ?? August 27, 2016 03:33AM
Fracture split and Powder rods are not always the same thing. There are forged fracture rods as well. All the common rail Cummins engines left the factory with fractured rods and there are plenty of them over 1000hp on stock rods. Deere has been using fractured rods for around 10years as well and I know of a 9.0L motor running 1600+hp and over 3000ftlb on stock fractured rods.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,628, Posts: 229,690, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520