3000 rpm IH motor February 02, 2017 06:07AM
I have a 3000 rpm ih dt466 at 600 ci that melted a couple pistons and bent the two rods as well (due to detonation, timing was way off). My question is can you just change the two pistons, rings, sleeves, and rods that are bad? Or do I need a balanced set? The motor only has a few passes on it and the other 4 look good.

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 02, 2017 07:10AM
I would strongly recommend having everything checked out, with that being said need to make sure that the other rods are not damaged as well and when the
other rods are balanced they need to be the same as the four that seam to be good . make sure the pistons match the other four as well . The question that I would want
to know why did the two melt down?

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 02, 2017 08:59AM
They melted due to testing at home and too much timing. ( somebody thought they knew what they were doing)Just went way to far. I'm thinking it sounds like I should just get a set of rods and pistons and be sure I'm good to go.

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 02, 2017 11:25PM
With all the heat that had caused the two pistons to melt I would have the head checked as well to make sure that there is no valve damage or it didn't loosen a seat
or two .

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 02, 2017 11:36PM
I forgot to mention I would pull the liners and put new orings on and make sure that the injector tips didn't see any damage as well. The problem that you are going to
run into if you chose not to fully inspect the whole motor it will start to slowly go down hill in performance , all the key parts that seal the chamber loose all of there
integrity from the heat.

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 03, 2017 05:08AM
Don't for get that head flow can cause hot cylinders as well as exhaust manifold, with different runner lengths.

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 03, 2017 11:34AM
Thanks for the good information. I appreciate the help, being a newbie! Valve seats, injectors, and head look good. Should I still send the head out to get checked?

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 03, 2017 01:15AM
If it was too much timing, how did it end up with only 2 melted pistons? In my mind, they are all 6 doing the same thing, so if it was timing, it should have melted all 6, but I'm by no means an expert. I'm still learning everyday, that is why I'm asking.

Re: 3000 rpm IH motor February 03, 2017 02:01AM
It's like the buffalo theory...the weak ones weed themselves out first!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009