Louisville February 18, 2017 02:56PM
10:48 PM and 16 hooks to go? Any family with kids does not want to be sitting in tiny seats for over 4 hours. Either start earlier or have a second smoke tube on hand as a contingency plan. Assuming a second plastic tube might be in the budget at $400 a seat/18,000 capacity?

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 03:17PM
Come on just keep it to yourself. You've sit around since Wednesday night looking for anything to complain about. As a puller myself I don't want your negativity or patronage at a pull if something out of anybody's control is all you have stay home. Lets Grow Pulling without this IDIOTIC FOOL!!

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 03:29PM
Another keyboard puller posting without a name. All I'm suggesting is at the price of the tickets, and being a family event, a back up hose would be a logical item to have on hand. Do they not have a back up sled sitting outside?

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 03:18PM
There was a bad section of tube after the afternoon session and it should have been changed before the evening session. But they did a great job of switching from the DSS to the Alky SS real fast, that was well done

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 03:25PM
Agreed. Well done moving to the alcohol class.

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 05:23PM
You still here complaining and making a fool of yourself. I have a idea stay at home next year and my tractor doesn't have a keyboard til I read the logger.

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 03:38PM
Can't believe you posted your name complaining about a pretty much flawless show.

Re: Louisville February 18, 2017 03:50PM
Okay Good Grief, you win with your all caps insult. Constructive criticism does not constitute a complaint. I'm watching the stands empty as I type this. 11:47 and 6 hooks to go. Does not work well for a family.

Aksel Schnell
St. Nazianz, WI
920-676-7052

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 12:07AM
I thought the 7 pm start time worked well on Wednesday & Thursday. I personally wish they would do it Friday and Saturday too. I'm not sure how feasible a backup smoke tube is. The flexible pipe is extremely expensive and by the time you swap the entire piece it may not be any quicker than repairing what broke. The smoke tube fan and all were brand new this year. Someone posted on Fonda's page that the reason it broke was an error on the fan operators part. It definitely seemed to work better than years past and kept the smoke our better than the ole one.

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 02:25AM
Thank you Parker for the insight, I don't know if there would be time saved repairing a broken hose vs connecting a new one. Good point. Or the cost of having a spare on hand. I know last year the committee was looking for suggestions to improve the show and solicited ideas on this site. Mine are below. I've gone to the pull for about the past 7 years, other family members have been going on and off since the 70's. It was definitely a good idea to pull the alcohol tractors to keep things moving while the
hose is being fixed.

--I misspoke originally at $400 a seat, that's for a pair of 2. Let's say they sell half of these tickets which need to be paid for by September. 9000 tickets at $200, 1.8 million. Conservatively they have this money 4-5 before the pull and could use the 1.5-2 percent interest to buy a spare hose (if possible). Also last year tickets were reduced to $20 in certain areas, again, after I paid $400 for 2 seats 6 months in advance. I know they have expenses to pay with this revenue, but 6 months prior?

--It seems as though there is a contingent of fans who enjoy tractors and others who like the trucks. Maybe have one session of just 2WD trucks and diesel pick ups.

--Move the Friday and Saturday start times to 7:00.

--Perhaps consider an all day session on Saturday without the break starting at 2:00?

--If a competitor is red flagged and backs off the throttle at the sand pile, set a full pull distance for the remainder of the class.

--Very much enjoyed the addition of 4.1's this year.

--The track crew is very efficient in prepping the track and staging the pullers. And also very much appreciate the work and expense the pullers put into getting there as well.

Good Greif, to perhaps understand where I'm coming from, the patrons have lot of expenses getting to the show. Flights, $250 a night hotels, etc. If I'm taking a family to the pull, I really don't want to be sitting there on the last night after midnight. Since your last post was at 2:00 am, that might not bother you. But we had a flight to catch this morning. Congrats that you have a tractor with a data logger. It's just not my style to insult or attack someone hiding while behind a keyboard.

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 03:20AM
You paid $200 for a single ticket?? You my friend got screwed.

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 03:27AM
That was price for a seat on all sessions woody. Which is reasonably priced in my opinion.

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 03:31AM
I understand, makes more sense now. I thought tickets are priced fair. I seen more changes this year to better the show and our announcers did a tremendous job last night keeping the crowd into it. For the circumstances I give the show a 10 of 10.

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 08:46AM
I ageee, I think a 7:00 start across the board would be better.
Obviously I'm more of a fan of tractors, but I understand.... everyone has their thing and that's why I love Gordyville as well!

I still think Thursday was the best night of pulling I've seen there in a long time. Loved the 4.1s!

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 12:33PM
The show went great no reason to muddy up this great conversation page. Posting the merest of problems for an absolutey awesome 2017 farm show pull is just unfair. they did an awesome job all week.
If you were very concearned with something the correct way to go about it would be to email or write a letter in detail not complaing but giving constructive critiscm.
That said... most of the people watching the pulls are on a small vacation and travel and stay at hotels...meaning they have no problem staying up to watch what they love.
That said...pulling goes late it always has. hard working people with long hours cant show up to pulls early so they get there moneys worth by staying late and watching as money classes and pulls as posssible.
That said... if it becomes late and your family is tired... leave... be thankful you already got to watch 4 or 5 awesome classes and be satisfied going home in a few years the family will be old enough to stay later... just sounds like life to me... and there's nothing wrong with that!

Re: Louisville February 19, 2017 02:18PM
Thank you for the well written reply Dmax47, very much appreciated.

I understand where you're coming from, but at the farm show other than the folks working the booths/displays everyone else is on a business trip or vacation. Just my observation, I was there Thurs-Sat this year but after about 10:00 patrons were leaving the pull on a pretty consistent basis. At the NFMS pull I'm not sure why anyone would complain about showing up at 6:00. I wouldn't call Louisville the Super Bowl of tractor pulling due to Bowling Green, etc, but you could certainly place it in the category of a major in golf or a NFL playoff game. None of which end after midnight. And as I mentioned above, the track crew and staging tractors did a great job of moving everything along.

As for pulling going late, that's to each their own. My issue is a I posed a legitimate question/comment as to why a back up smoke tube isn't on hand. If there's a good reason as to why that isn't feasible in an online forum someone would provide ideas or explanation as some did. And as mentioned above last year a poll and comments were solicited as to what can be done to improve the show on this site. I have no idea what the cost of a back up smoke tube is, but the NFMS being a premier event one would think the pull committee would add this to a top 10 list of a CIP plan.

Instead, I get a replies with a number of insults from someone who hides behind a keyboard. Thank you to everyone else who provided a good discussion on the topic.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 02:09AM
Only one insult and I stand by my statement you were going to find something to complain about regardless. It was a GREAT 5 sessions of pulling with a 30minute hiccup.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 03:01AM
Good Grief
a 30minute hiccup.
WHOA WHOA whoa there big guy. That there sure sounds like a COMPLAINT!!! Hiccups are NOT a good thing. How dare you say anything negative. So you're complaining about the 'complainers' and giving a complaint of your own! Next time you should start your comments like this;

Dear Kettle, this is your old friend Pot.

I don't like that you asked a question about the smoke tube.
I don't care how late your family stays up.
Don't you know that everything is always perfect.
We had 5 great days and nothing went wrong.
Well, unless I say otherwise.
Please keep your good questions to yourself.
Your comments, although helpful are not wanted by me.

Sincerely, your old friend Pot.

Please follow this format in the future when you're being a hypocrite.

I agree about starting earlier, a 7:00 start time on Friday is needed and even as early as 6:30 on Saturday makes sense to me. They could probably start Saturday afternoon at 12:00. As for the spare smoke tube; they do keep spares, that's how they fixed the tube. They patched in a spare section. I think they also have a complete backup system with a different tube incase of a complete system failure. Replacing the full length of tube wouldnt be any faster than making a quick patch. Changing the class order worked great and I'm glad we had an alckie class to run during the down time. Thankfully it worked out. Maybe someone could come up with a way to have quick disconnect segments that bolt together. With a cordless impact they could be swapped out quickly.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 03:44AM
Don't believe I was complaining and yes with 5sessions of flawless pulling a 30minute part failure(hiccup) is totally acceptable.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 04:20AM
Any. Results from the finals on sat. night . Can not seem to pull them up on laptop. Thanks

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 07:32AM
East coast fan
Any. Results from the finals on sat. night . Can not seem to pull them up on laptop. Thanks

Here you go!

2017 Championship Tractor Pull Finals Results

Results will be posted following each pull.

7,500lb Modified Tractors

Place Name Tractor Hometown Distance
1 Steve Boyd Lucas Oil Green Streak Washington, IN 218.260
2 Greg Boyd Lucas Oil Green Streak Unlimited Washington, IN 215.937
3 Bill Leischner Dirslinger Weldon, IL 215.459
4 Ricky Long Lucas Oil/Mav Tv Glasgow, KY 214.998
5 Steve Bunnage Takes A Lickin' Golden Gate, IL 204.632
6 Wayne Bunnage Keeps On Tickin' Ellery, IL 200.558

9,300LB Super Farm Tractor Finals

1 Mike Prible Top Priority Bluffton, IN 243.397
2 Norman A. Kavan Jr. Magnum Force Cedar Bluffs, NE 235.867
3 Tyler Audet Pure Bred Red Bridport, VT 233.565
4 Greg Freeze Deere Traxx Manchester, TN 231.962
5 Rob Trowbridge Crop Doctor Union City, MI 231.638
6 Josh Miley High Maintenan$E Francisco, IN 231.482
7 Drew Parkinson Commandeere Granville, OH 222.463
8 Larry Dean Never Enough Hollywood, AL 158.509

6,200lb 2WD Super Modified Trucks

1 Jim Mattingly Thor Bardstown, KY 240.848
2 Jared Nelson Midnight Revenger Altamont, IL 236.368
3 Keith Long Mav/TV Glasgow, KY 236.101
4 Randy Petro Kathys Komplaint Camden, OH 235.357
5 Ashley Corzine Shell Rotella Second Degree Assumption, IL 233.900
6 Bethany Nelson Sweet Revenge Altamont, IL 233.793
7 Misty Nelson Wild One Sidney, IL 228.987
8 Ricky Long Ridin Dirty Glasgow, KY 214.500

8,200lb Super Stock Tractors

1 Colin Ross Triple Bypass Waynesburg, PA 245.457
2 Brandon Hunt Liv N A Dream Oak Grove, KY 232.061
3 Steve Burge Lock N Load Lynn, IN 227.685
4 Steve Blagrave Red Horse Ackerly, TX 224.799
5 Brian Shramek Young Blood Williamsburg, MO 224.342
6 David Henderson Stray Horse Gone Wild Spring Valley, MN 212.686

8,000lb Super Stock Alcohol Tractors

1 Josh Blackbourn Armed & Dangerous International Threat Newton, WI 240.493
2 Terry Blackbourn Extremely Armed & Dangerous Newton, WI 233.430
3 Brent Payne Galot Hamilton, OH 219.889
4 Jordan R. Lustik Silver Bullet Eighty Four, PA 217.298
5 Jeff Hothem Blaster NAPA Fully Loaded Dellroy, OH 207.572
6 John Strickland Galot II Clinton, NC 102.464

10,200lb Pro Stock Tractors

1 Brad Moss TS Performance Young Buck Adairville, KY 241.520
2 Cody Shay Red Edge Pro Shannon City, IA 237.514
3 Kevin Schmucker Git-Er-Dun Deere Louisville, OH 236.064
4 Rob Russell Work Horse Prescott IA 233.646
5 Danny Schmucker Rampage Louisville, OH 231.836
6 Travis Kuhns Trailblazer Arthur, IL 231.720
7 Allen Legrand The Edge of Sundown Madisonville, KY 226.973
8 Paul Stone Rollin Stone Greensburg, IN 224.059
9 Ken Couch Cotton Pickn Deere Jackson, TN 212.647
10 Mickey Shorter Buck Eater 2 Sullivan, IN 192.603
11 Ross Boersen Greenline Express Zeeland, MI 159.203
12 Cory Roberts Ground Scrape Gifford, IL Scratched

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 07:29AM
Thank you Smoke Tube and Pot/Kettle show on the repair explanation. Absolutely makes sense if it's quicker to replace a section than drag out a new tube and connect to the outbound pipe. Our tickets are in section 306 so it's difficult to see exactly what is going on during the repair.

The tone of my original post may have shown a bit of frustration but after understanding how the repair process works now I get it.

"Good Grief"--I was not sitting there since Thursday night looking for something to complain about. I think the pull runs too late, especially on Saturday. That's not a criticism at all of the track crew, sled settings, staging vehicles, etc. They are extremely efficient and a class act. It's as interesting to watch the track crew and staging vehicles as it is the pull. There is a lot of movement happening in a very confined area.

The other point not mentioned above is that at the start time printed on the ticket there's always a tractor headed down the track. Kudos for that.

The farm show closes at 6:00, so how about starting at 7:00 Friday as well? Not sure of the logic to change Wed/Thurs to an earlier start and not the other nights. I don't know what the downside would be. Saturday takes longer because of the extra trophy presentations. Start that at 6:00 or 6:30. There were a lot of empty seats every night for a pull that used to sell out.

When you walk around the farm show, there are tons of kids everywhere. Crawling on and off the machines, etc. At the pull, percentage wise it does not seem like nearly as many. Just an observation as I certainly don't have stats on it. I go to the pull with my 79 year old Dad and have a 7 month old son who stayed in the hotel with my wife during the pull.

If I'm a Dad and Mom attending the Farm Show with 2 kids 8-10 years old, on the Saturday night finals, do I want to pay $160 plus concessions to watch 3-4 classes knowing by the time they're over the kids will be antsy or tired and probably want to leave? And I'll miss about half the pull? Perhaps moving the start time ahead would sell more tickets. If you want to "grow pulling", figure out a way to get more families in the door at the pull. Starting earlier might help but just my thoughts.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 06:02AM
Smoke tube is very expensive. And since cables run down the middle of them and does not have a factory made connection it's very time consuming to hook another flexible pipe to the outbound pipe. The quickest way is to repair the broken section. Plus have to understand how much abuse this life goes through from heat alone.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 08:37AM
Thank you. Wanna try to make it there sometime. Right now job gets in the way . Really stinks for me. But that's life. Gotta deal with it. Thanks again.

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 11:24AM
I have been going for years and this is definitely the best I have seen there, by far. The decent weather didn't hurt either

Re: Louisville February 20, 2017 01:23PM
saw the whole show and it was great except the unlimted supers. they were terrible. rest of it was better than i remember. diesel trucks was just ok at best but two wheelers were great. usually dont like the door slamers but they were really good this year. lite super was awesome but it usually is. i dont know if there are enough lites for two classes but it would still be better than the crap unlimited super class. need to get lite pros in the show next year cause more smoke is always better. trophy girls wouldnt hurt either. letum shoot the tee shirt cannons too!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro