How do you define "farm stock"? February 14, 2017 01:34PM
Is it straight out of the field? Is it 3000 rpm or below (as some brush pulls in my state of Indiana seem to define it),or somewhere in between? What is a reasonable definition of a farm stock pulling tractor?

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 14, 2017 01:52PM
Farm stock should be just what the name says like it use to be pulled factory turbo and pump capable of pulling one night and in a hour or two back be able to put it back to work the next day

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 14, 2017 02:43PM
If it can run road gear, it's not farm stock.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 14, 2017 06:44PM
I pulled a farm stock class some years ago where you sat on the line at full throttle for 30 seconds. If you stayed together and had a working PTO you were good to go.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 14, 2017 11:02PM
History has showed us the best way to start a meaningless pi##ing match is to use the word "farm stock" in a thread
.Then mention a state. Major accomplishment. Let the rain pour down.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 14, 2017 11:22PM
Good job rocket scientist! You're the first one to start pi##ing about it.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 12:56AM
Theres a 640ci farmstock motor for sale in classified section,

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 02:25AM
It really does'nt matter what you consider farm stock,because there will always be that guy who will spend more money to win every time and push the bar higher and higher,until farmstock is a distant memory. This is why we have so many different diesel classes, and you can't afford to win any of them,unless you're that guy.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 02:57AM
no body likes speed limits but that seems to keep some out and keep it.closer you have to just be forward and say you dont belong in the farm class than there is people who put p pum,ps on because another model uses it or intercoolers. your always going to have 13mm 100s bigger plungers in inlines turbo mods and intercoolers

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 03:23AM
Just saying, who actually wants to watch tractor go down the track at 7 or 8 mph that was just unhooked form a spreader? If I wanted to bore myself to death, I would go watch antique pulling, farmstock classes with a speed of 10 to 14 mph are great. Someone who sticks a little money in can compete, but it doesnt take much to get the tractor to compete. I love when people start these threads because people have been complaining about this for years. You can make a farmstock tractor run damn good if your willing to spend a little money, and you can stay within the stock pump, no water rules, but people get all bent out of shape then. There is no rule that says you cant spend money on your tractor and buy good parts, I feel bad for the people who cant afford good parts and compete with the top tractors, but thats their problem.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 08:12AM
You just explained what happens to all all classes from farm stock plumb up to ullss we have all these classes to accommodate budgets from different groups it wont ever happen but if your starting a new class in your area add some claimers I raced dirt track a while and we had claims on the engines and believe me that rule was used several times take out the little man in each class and se if you have enough competitors left to make the fair boards want the class back next year the big spenders should grab thereself by the bag and squeeze real hard and move up to the next level were they belong and se how tough they are then cause in reality when they run every one off they get parked in the shed with no place to play

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 08:25AM
Amen to that here in ohio

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 09:10AM
You are incorrect my friend, spending money on good parts *that are legal* is not cheating. No where in any club across americas rules does it put a dollar amount on how much you can spend on your tractor. A person can build a strong running tractor that is within the rules and compete if they are willing to spend money to stay within the rules, otherwise they can cheat and not spend much money. Again, it is no ones fault but the puller if they cannot afford to buy good parts that are within the rules. Now for people who are cheating and buying parts that are illegal, that is another story.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 10:05AM
You are partly right about buy the good parts good parts for a farmstock tractor would be a reliance repower kit from Howard Interprises but you didn't understand the rest for an example if your class has a farm stock class and the average tractors are worth 15 thousand but you spend 25 on yours to win that class follow me .And on the other hand your club also has a next step up 3000 rpm were they have on the average of 25 in theres that means someones a bit of a chicken shitt to step up and pick on someone there own size they just want to ruin it for others you don't se Chezic pulling a superfarm hes got a set BESIDES what have you done if it makes you feal good buying your way to that 25 dollar trophie it didn't take much for that big money accomplishment just like drugs kills a friendship money kills a class

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 15, 2017 01:08PM
Again, you are incorrect. Farmstock classes in most areas mean factory core pump, usually have a turbo limit, and working pto. As for your howard enterprises repower kit, you are outdated my friend. Most are not chickenshit to step up, they just don't want to jump from a $15,000 tractor to a $40,000 tractor. Its really not that hard to make a farm tractor run good, a set of injectors and a good pump will go a long ways, and if you know the right people, it really doesn't cost that much. Now if your too scared to spend a little money on that stuff, you need to find another sport! Also, by the way, its Chizek, and, no you do not see him pulling supper farm because they work on alcohol tractors only! Get your facts straight! As for this argument, I am done, arguing on pulloff gets us nowhere. Good luck pulling next yearSmiling

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 16, 2017 02:16AM
I guess we know who "that guy" is. At least one anyway.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 16, 2017 10:45AM
I don't no who he was but if he was half as smart as he thought he was looks like he could have came up with a better name educated dumb add the other word for a donkey would fit him just perfect his Daddy needs to ground him from driving privaleges for one year to teach him to show a little respect for some of us poorer pullers that may not have had that silver spoon to eat our gerber with

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 17, 2017 03:15AM
It was a gold spoon, thank you very much. Smiling

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 16, 2017 04:11AM
farm stock should be that stock with pump turned up spend money and pull 2hot2 farm or improved farm what ever is in your area. as for boring go to the big pulls if you want to see speed farm pulling shouldnt be fast. 2nd high in a 1066 is aroun d 12 m,ph at 3000rpm depending on tire size and should have to pull ta in farm classes every one one should be able to pull and compete there are levels for everyone antique and up

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 16, 2017 09:42AM
This would all be fine and dandy, but at least in my area, it goes from a farm stock tractor to a too hot to farm tractor which is 466, 3" turbo, p pump and a whole host of other things. To even compete in that class, you need well over 1000 hp. Clearly with a class separation like this, there is going to be some strong tractors running in farm stock simply because there is such a large jump to the next class. Some people just cant afford to jump from that 20k price range to essentially a full blown pulling tractor costing upwards of 50k or more.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 16, 2017 08:52AM
In the modern way of tractor pulling. Where it is all about how fast you can get the sled moving before it slams to a stop. There won't likely ever be a class for a true, straight off the farm, "farmstock" tractor. . I was at a pull last summer where the sleds pushdown had broken. The sled operator only had one heavy farmstock 12,500lb class left to pull at the event. His decision was to load up the transfer box, pin the rear of the pan in the up position, and pull the class. You have never seen a more real farmstock class. Tractors with enhanced engines and sharpened tires were disappointed when a few local guys with real working field tractors walked the sled off the line and drove 5 , 6 ,or 7 mph and spun out in front of them. A couple of the so called "farmstock" couldn't get traction off the line, some tried to high of gear, and about all didn't realize the need to weight their tractor differently.
What was learned that evening was a heavy sled that is hard to get started is the equalizer. Its what will separate a true field tractor that can leave the line with its engine just off an idle versus a built up farmstock that leaves the line at 2,000 + rpms. Atleast around here that is.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? February 16, 2017 01:34PM
Keep it real.
In the modern way of tractor pulling. Where it is all about how fast you can get the sled moving before it slams to a stop. There won't likely ever be a class for a true, straight off the farm, "farmstock" tractor. . I was at a pull last summer where the sleds pushdown had broken. The sled operator only had one heavy farmstock 12,500lb class left to pull at the event. His decision was to load up the transfer box, pin the rear of the pan in the up position, and pull the class. You have never seen a more real farmstock class. Tractors with enhanced engines and sharpened tires were disappointed when a few local guys with real working field tractors walked the sled off the line and drove 5 , 6 ,or 7 mph and spun out in front of them. A couple of the so called "farmstock" couldn't get traction off the line, some tried to high of gear, and about all didn't realize the need to weight their tractor differently.
What was learned that evening was a heavy sled that is hard to get started is the equalizer. Its what will separate a true field tractor that can leave the line with its engine just off an idle versus a built up farmstock that leaves the line at 2,000 + rpms. Atleast around here that is.

And that's what killed the "farm stock" type of pulling, the new innovative sleds that let us pullers basically be in a race!!! Get rid of the race for farm stock pulling and get a hard even pull from start to finish with a MPH limit and the tractors must have a working pto and that should weed out a majority of not so much farm stock tractors, I'm sure there are other rules a person can put on a class but that's a start. I pull farm stock 5mph and 8mph open and love it, I have some updated parts on my tractor but it still is capable of farming. I hold my own but with all the hp I have I still don't win every time, different people are usually in the top 3-4 every weekend usually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 01:39PM by IHFarmer07.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 02, 2017 07:05AM
Speed limits will always be the equalizer in farmstock classes

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 03, 2017 01:06AM
true below 8 mph, but anything over that, more hp with a skilled driver is still generally going to pull further.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 03, 2017 03:16AM
This has been proven over and over, a pull below 10mph is boring for the crowd, no one wants to watch this. All local pulls in the SW Wisconsin, NE Iowa area run 10 - 12 mph and consistently get 15-25 tractors, sometimes close to 30. This is a good budget class with lots of competition, that doesn't cost much to be competitive.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 03, 2017 02:12PM
what is the limit for rpm,s and turbo size ,and aprox. how much hp is needed to run 12 mph in a 10500 or 12500 class ?

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 03, 2017 09:41PM
I remember we used to have farm stock classes that were based on weight and hp range. They had a pto dyno on site for any in question. Had to stay within 15% or so of book #s and rpm. Example: 8,500lb class + up to 90hp. 10,500lb + up to 125hp. Etc. If your tractor booked more hp, you had to pull the higher weight class. Worked out well.
Just the notion of that alone would keep most in line. The same pulls had an "enhanced" class. Now begins the above conversation

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 12:15AM
Farm stock WNY
I remember we used to have farm stock classes that were based on weight and hp range. They had a pto dyno on site for any in question. Had to stay within 15% or so of book #s and rpm. Example: 8,500lb class + up to 90hp. 10,500lb + up to 125hp. Etc. If your tractor booked more hp, you had to pull the higher weight class. Worked out well.
Just the notion of that alone would keep most in line. The same pulls had an "enhanced" class. Now begins the above conversation

That is how the association used to be, we used the Nebraska test and such but the there was a different dyno man at every place and you didn't know if they knew how to properly run it or they could just lie and get you DQed. Now we don't have a dyno, which is fine but now but more and more people are "building" tractors and more hp is coming to the track, but they still use the Nebraska test to keep tractors from where they don't need to be. If you don't want to play by those rules you pull the open, which is 8mph, no pto, no hp limit "essentially" (that's a bit of a gray area). I know mph pulls under 10mph are slow and boring for the crowd but anybody that is starting out new, fresh to the pulling world can still complete and win without dumping there savings into it to just maybe complete in the middle to the bottom of the class. Whatever works for your area, if there would be a 10+ mph class around here you would see less and less pullers because we are a farm pulling association that people unhook their balers, plows ect., turn their pumps up and go to town to have fun and blow some steam and most importantly smoke and most farmers around here don't have the coin or don't want to spend that kind of coin to do 10mph+. From what I have seen of some farm stock classes around the country I would say to compete in at 10mph class a person would have to have 600+ hp to complete, that's not for some around here, this association don't have the insurance or the capability to handle a tractor of that caliber, and also we already have 20 plus tractors from the 7500 open, 8, 9, 10, 10,500, 11, 12 and 13,000lbs classes and the heavier classes gain tractor every year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 12:35AM by IHFarmer07.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 05, 2017 03:01PM
Im not sure what kind of tractors your working with, but I've seen a bone stock 1466 spin out in 2nd gear. (thats just a shade under 11mph) so a stock tractor in the heavier classes should run 10mph no problem.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 12:37AM
Been a long winter as here we go again on this subject. First off if you are a puller what pull do you go to that you really enjoy. Would it be a pull with a lot of crazy rules and inspections like the above or the laid back pull that you just go hook and have a blast. What qualifies a tractor as enhanced vs. Stock ( which really doesn't exits 95% of the time). Is an enhanced tractor the one who wins or does real well because he has done his homework on a stock engine, fuel injection, timing, air flow, tire type, tire pressure, draw bar length, drawbar height per the tractors performance for each weight class and reads the track real well. Well if that's what you call enhanced then you're just mad he or she beats you and you want them thrown out of the stock class. Been there done that. I once had a kid (who's father used to race snowmobiles) get real upset with me for beating him. He had a 45 hp.544 bone stock running with turbo tractors with 3x the hp. stock in a 9000# class. When the kid was having a hiissy fit the father was cracking up. I think the father wanted to give him a lesson in reality. Reality is if you want to pull stock and whine about getting beat stay home and play with you toy tractors in the living room. Been through this many times as a puller, fan and track person for the last 30 years. Come on spring time.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 03:39PM
300 hp last, 400-500 mid pack,600-650 to place,700+ to win

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 05, 2017 02:53PM
2.335 turbo, 3000 rpm, just an estimate, but 350 hp would run 12mph

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 04:34AM
dynos don't work tried that in the seventies people were turning pressures down and had 1066s with 100hp that were pry 3-400 than.10-12 mph any size tire on factory cast,18.4x42 or20.8x38 on pressed steel, stock appearing pump and 3lm or equivilant,3000rpm. a lot of tractors some have work done and don't dominate class.you can say its boring but there are different venues of pulling,just like racing top fuel funny car pro stocks,late models to nascar. not every one pulls a unlimited or SS open alcohol(they are fun to watch every one just don't nave them or can afford them). my 14 yr old pulls antique some nephew pulls 466 hot farm help a couple friends that pull farm, 2 hot 2 farm,farm and 4.1 ,it takes all forms to make this sport survive

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 04:24AM
Farm stock is the way the tractor came from the factory.all lead seals on pump in place and untuched.Factory rpm,no gray area here you can argue till your blue but it is what it is.The tack will show pto speed and road speed.no farm stock Tractors are 3000rpm.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 10:11AM
than you get my 6030 runs 2350 and the 2255 runs 2850

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 10:19AM
There is a tractor which has a factory high idle of 3000 rpm and a pto rated speed of 2800 rpm. It is a white 2-180. You check for yourself on nebraska test 1287.

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 12:15PM
I would say if that's the way they came they are 'FARM STOÇK'!!!

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 12:28PM
Stock Farmer it would be but that's where the problems begin if the 180 running 3000 rpms beat the 1466 running 2600 that just wouldn't work for the IH boys it should but wouldnt

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 01:27PM
I though the question was how do you define farm stock?

Re: How do you define "farm stock"? March 04, 2017 02:49PM
Sorry I ment to add you are rite

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520