Case-O-Matic March 20, 2017 04:09AM
Are Case-O-Matics any good for MPH antique pulling?

any pro's and cons ?

Stock 6500# 4mph class.
Thanks for the feedback

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Re: Case-O-Matic March 21, 2017 03:10AM
I was never impressed with them as a teenager. Torque converter in low range and a direct lockup clutch in high range.

Re: Case-O-Matic March 21, 2017 01:59PM
Perhaps some insight.

My parents second new tractor was a '58 Case 800 Diesel, that Case-O-Matic (COM) was standard on. Dairying on the hills of upstate New York, there were many times where it was a handy, let's say, equivalent in many ways to the IH TA.

With COM, you just barely get the load started with a decent amount of rpm's, ( just like an automative torque converter), but the driver could quickly pull up the COM leverage to give a locked up direct drive, if you wanted. Or bring up to any higher or full rpm and pull up the lever. If it was tough going and the jear selection was proper, you could run all day if wanted in COM. In getting a tough load rolling the COM reduction definitely helped or again when hitting a tough spot in the field such as plowing, notch the lever down to COM to pick up rpm's.

In pure stock horsepower at 4 mph, that feature could very well be worthwhile. After all, compare to the IH TA tractors in the same scenario. Do they have usually an advantage to make the extra track finale footage over a straight (non TA) tranny?

Two years ago, I attended my first NATPA pull. What few Case's were 400 and 700. 400 is predescessor to 700. 700 is identical to 800 other than it does Not have COM, thus a straight 8 speed. In Natpa, those mentioned tractors were definitley way beyond stock horsepower. And with the way the modern day weight transfer is so easy to start, perhaps COM would not be an advantage. Again, I come back to watch how an IH TA fares in the class you want to compete in.

The COM is bullet proof. The problem with the 800 Diesel was like many other competitive makes of the era, the fuel cells in the head. Kept burning them out. After a few years of many replacements, dad just got tired of it and bought a really nice used JD 730 Diesel, which is what he originally wanted to buy. But it was $50 more. After several months, he could never get the JD dealer down to the Case price. Did not take long before dad regretted the decision.

But I got to spend a lot of seat time on his first new tractor, a '51 JD-A that one of my younger brothers has totally restored and still gets used on the farm. Not many tractors that old can say they have never ever been owned by someone outside the immediate family. And lots of seat time on the Case 800 and JD 730 which eventually was traded in for one of the very last Case 930's built. That tractor is a unique rarity with its original orange steering column, set back (like a western style but a) rowcrop front end and the big wide western fenders. Same brother has been through the 930 restoration, too.

Re: Case-O-Matic March 22, 2017 11:26AM
Put it behind a 451 or a turbo 504 and pile on the weights

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,773, Posts: 229,940, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,029.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009