Putting truckers out of a job August 07, 2017 07:58AM
Self driving semis

This is not directly pulling-related, except many pullers are truckers or in some cases own trucking companies, and semis haul most vehicles to the track nowdays.

Youtube video about future of trucking. The producers seem to look forward to this future. I'm skeptical. For example, if this becomes the norm, will it become harder to get a truck for guys who want one to haul their tractor? What about government regulating current semis out of existence? Will there be much fewer places to get diesel fuel, and at what higher cost?

Watch and ahare your thoughts.

PS- if semis can be made self driving, who's to say John Deere won't come out with a self-driving combine or tractor in the next decade. If they get the right battery paired with GPS, and the large commercial farms use these, where would that leave the small family farming operation? Food for thought.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 08:04AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Putting truckers out of a job August 07, 2017 10:13AM
Both Deere and Case IH have self operating tractors that have debuted. Auto steer has been in use on tractors and combines for sometime. I combined corn for a farmer that used GPS etc. to plant it. He said he kept loosing the signal and he was right. What a night mare following his rows. I can't imagine a truck or car going down the highway and loosing it's guidance system. Neither would work on our farm with small 3 acre fields on the hill ground. That would take the reason for farming away for me. But if they can get rid of small companies and farms they will find a way for sure.

Re: Putting truckers out of a job August 07, 2017 12:32PM
Self driving trucks would be 100% safer than the steering wheel holders SWIFT hires!
I swear they wait at hospitals for all the brain donors!

Re: Putting truckers out of a job August 08, 2017 03:47AM
They are actually closer than you think, the concern the manufactures have is people are forgivable to people. The first time one of these gets into a bad accident with a fatality it will probably be the largest $$ law suit you have ever seen since computers shouldn't ever fail... Plus the still need someone to hook unhook the trailers, back up to docs, etc.

Re: Putting truckers out of a job August 08, 2017 05:29AM
1. Well, if hackers can infect, use and take over "smart" appliances, TVs, home security systems and thermostats, they've got to be licking their chops at smart cars and semis. Whether it be ransomware ("You can use your semi again after you send $1000), the threat of terrorism or who knows what, these new vehicles will certainly be targeted. And as history has shown, the "smart" items above had zero protection from infection.

2. One guy riding in his autopilot car was killed when his car's cameras mistook a reflection off a semi truck for the sky. What's going to happen when we got lots more of these autopilot vehicles out there and many of them are semis?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,775, Posts: 229,944, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,031.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009