NO clutch on 1466 question July 15, 2013 09:04AM
Got my tractor running yesterday for the first time...got up on her to drive her around to try to break in new motor and I have no clutch..it went into gear and jumped foward about 6 inches then nothing...It has a double disc clutch in it? I have power steering. I have no clue if the tourqe is good or not due to the fact that I bought with a blown engine and never drove it...Does it need to be adjusted from moving to a double disc or is the mcv valve bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 09:09AM by smithcl7.

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 15, 2013 03:34PM
Could be you have no hyd. pressure to ta. It requires pressure on both sides to work. It could also be out of adjustment. Start there if you know you clutch is good.

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 15, 2013 03:45PM
there is a plug in the bottom of your mcv plate put a gauge on and check your pressure to see if your pumps is making any. now even if the pump is bad the tractor should go because there is a mechanical sprag in the TA that drives the tractor when a shift from low to hi is made. good pressure should be like 275lbs as I remember. Been a while , I've done a ton of them. up in the top there is a plug that faces the rear of the tractor, to increase low pressure you can remove the plug and install a 1566 pressure spring. you will need to cut just one coil of to get the correct pressure. to put the plug back in the hole you need to drill a small hole in the plug only about 1/16",enough to put a pointed screw driver into. this will help keep the pushing tool in the center of the plug, it pushes pretty hard when reinstalling. if you are having an air problem there is a small plug at the bottom facing rear you can remove the plug , start tractor and when oil streams out shut off and reinstall plug.if you need more help call Floyd Isbell 570 637-1311

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 03:47PM by floyd isbell.

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 15, 2013 11:44PM
I have a 1066 that when you first start it it has no power steering,brakes,ta...have to mess w/steering wheel and brakes alot then adventually it will come too and works fine all day, any suggestions to fix this problem, is it the pump? works fine once it gets primed. fluid is up and ok..

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 12:30AM
Floyd, I thought they had to have low side pressure also. Didn't mean to misinform.

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 01:21AM
ih farmer2
I have a 1066 that when you first start it it has no power steering,brakes,ta...have to mess w/steering wheel and brakes alot then adventually it will come too and works fine all day, any suggestions to fix this problem, is it the pump? works fine once it gets primed. fluid is up and ok..

Replace the hydraulic filter. I have seen this a few times. Even if it looks clean it may be blocking flow

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 03:11AM
Thank you guys...just thought about this also...i have only put 15 gallons of hydro fluid in it also i think it is supposed to have 22 the gauge is only reading 1 gallon low...any thoughts?

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 04:02AM
u could always sell it and buy a green 1... ha

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 04:24AM
If your ta is bad and the dump valve is still hooked up it could have stuck out causing this same problem. the ta has to be completely out on the low side for it not to move regardless of whether the hydraulics are working or not. You need to pressure test your system and see what you have for operating pressure. you can plumb a gauge in to your bottom port on the mcv valve to see what you have. Also is the line to the brake valve capped off or are you still using the stock brake valve?

1066 clutch not working April 14, 2018 12:06PM
I just replace my MCV oringings and the pump. Everything works again except when i push in the clutch it wont let let me go into gear. i can force it to go but then i can stop unless i push back into neutral. Any ideas?

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 04:26AM
Just a thought, but on your MCV valve, is the linkage for the dump valve still hooked up? Its virtually impossible to adjust the dump valve correctly with a double disc clutch, and for the sake of the life of the T/A in a puller, is better off unhooked anyways. Perhaps, if the tractor had a stock clutch before, that the dump valve is still hooked up, but because of the clutch adjustment for the double disc, is remaining partially hung up & not allowing the T/A to engage properly because the dump valve is partially dumping pressure.

Just a thought.

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 08:04AM
Do i need to cap off dump valve or make something to keep fluid flowing? Thanks again

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 08:08AM
Just remove the linkage that moves the dump valve. Easiest is to remove the 6" long 1/4" fine thread bolt & clevis that goes from the clutch linkage to the dump valve actuating linkage. After that, the dump valve will no longer function when the clutch is depressed.

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 12:54PM
I looked and the dump valve was already unhooked...I hooked it back up and still nothing...I dont have a pressure gauge that holds that much pressure...It still lunges when going into gear about 6 inches...so it feels like something is grabbing...

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 16, 2013 01:23PM
You didnt by chance put big shaft discs on a small shaft input did u?

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question July 17, 2013 12:19AM
I also have a question, I put a IH 1066 motor in a 966, and kept the clutch from the 1066. Well i put it back together and the owner keeps complaining about a very stiff cltuch, that its harder than normal to press in. I know its going to be hard without a clutch assist kit, but I don't think it should be that hard. Any suggestions?

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question April 15, 2018 01:04AM
That's easy fix look up m and w kits they made piece for Farmall m make clutch push easer make something for this tractor bubby did his makes big difference

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question April 15, 2018 11:13AM
take the 3 extra springs out of the pressure plate if it has them to make it into a 12 spring

Re: NO clutch on 1466 question April 15, 2018 01:01PM
This post is 5 years old poor guy i hope its fixed by now 2013 its a gost

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,649, Posts: 229,718, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,068, Posts: 225,907.

Our newest member JD_8520