Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 16, 2018 06:56AM
Wanting to know what shape and width of groove do I need for a sealtec fire ring. The ring is .105 in diameter and the head gasket is .062. Wanting around a .020 crush so thinking around a .023 depth groove. Just was wondering what shape everyone was using either square or rounded bottom??? And the width of the grove needed. Thanks in advance and what cutter works best or do you perfer?

Re: Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 16, 2018 07:13AM
ask Carl,rounded bottom would give no place to squish.

Re: Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 16, 2018 10:27AM
You are on the right track. If this engine has sleeves, then you have to also take into account sleeve protrusion and how it relates to the deck surface. I make my grooves square bottomed and .120 wide for a .105 fire ring. The groove needs to be at or maybe .001 larger OD than the fire ring so the ring is well supported from behind by the groove when it crushes. As for crush, .020 is reasonable. Some say less, some say more. Good luck!

Re: Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 16, 2018 10:31AM
Should have also said, This is best done on a large lathe if the engine has sleeves. Grind a tool bit and be consistent with the groove depth and things will be fine.

Re: Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 16, 2018 02:20PM
I should have an extra sleeve in the shop. I will take a picture and send it to you.

Re: Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 16, 2018 02:53PM
Thanks that's what we ended up doing tonight was the cutting them square and no I don't have sleeves in my engine. So didn't have to worry about that.

Re: Fire ring groove Shape and Width April 17, 2018 02:37PM
Is a rounded groove really that bad?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,915, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,014.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM