DT 466 injector, pump, and turbo questions June 15, 2018 03:09PM
Hi folks,

I'm a Skoolie guy. I've had my 1977 International Loadstar bus for 12 years now. It has a DT466 with an Ambac 100 injection pump. I had always heard from the Skoolie people that the P Pump inline pump is the good one, but then someone told me that the rotary pump I have is popular for tractor pull engines. I looked it up and found this site. I've read quite a bit in the forums here, but I decided to finally go ahead and ask a few questions since I haven't been able to find the information through searching all over the web. So here goes:

What is the best injector body code to get? I read that I have to take them out to find out the body code, but I don't want to remove them until I have new ones to put in, and I need to know the body code to get to do that. My #5 injector seems to be leaking and it's smoked grey smoke since I got it. I'm pretty certain I need injectors but I don't wanna take it apart until I have them as it's running good right now. So can anyone tell me anything about the different body codes on the DT-466 mechanical injectors so I can figure out what kind to get?

My 2nd question is can anyone tell me how to adjust the rpm limit on the Ambac 100? I've got the manual for it and I've read it over a few times but it isn't obvious to me what I have to do to adjust it. I'm not planning to turn it up until I get new valve springs, as 3000 RPM is what it's set at now & with 40 year old valve springs I feel like that's already pushing it. I've read that the bottom end on these engines is good up to 4000 RPM tho so I plan to get dual valve springs for it (and check out & replace the bearings if needed) and when I do I want to be able to turn it up. So how do I adjust the governor springs to do that? The neverenufhp site only explains how to adjust the P-Pump.

3rd question is about the turbo. It's got the original T3 turbo, which is quite a bit smaller than the later engines use. I'd like something that can get up to around 40 psi so I can get a bit more power out of it. I already turned up the fuel a bit (ever seen a school bus roll coal? cuz mine does!). I'd like to be able to use what extra fuel I can get out of it, and possibly get a little more MPG from more boost, and maybe even have it spool up a little sooner. The turbo kicks in around 1500 RPM. When I got it it wouldn't spool up until 1700, and it needed the turbo in all gears above 2nd. It was SUCH a slug! Nowadays it will pull from 800 RPM in 4th gear, and climb a hill it used to take in 2nd or 1st (5 mph), in 3rd & 4th gear. Valve adjustment, timing advance (it had slipped a bit), and fuel screw adjustments got me this far. It drives great now but I hope to put higher gears in it to keep up with modern traffic, and I'll need a bit more HP...well I may not NEED it but of course I WANT it! So what's a good turbo setup to get me up to maybe double the factory 210 HP (eventually once I can get a 13mm head & add an intercooler) and spool up quickly, and be driveable in a 20,000 lb bus on the road?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've learned quite a bit about the DT466 over the last 12 years, and this site seems to have the people with the most knowledge about them anywhere. I've learned a lot here. I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be willing to help me with these 3 questions I haven't been able to find the answers to in all my reading.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009