Hutch track, June 16, 2018 12:49AM
Best track EVER at the NTPA Power Pull,good job,and good luck for Chuck Knapp with fire fix.

Re: Hutch track, June 16, 2018 05:55AM
I agree, it was my first time attending and have nothing but great things to say about the pull! What a wonderful show, went along smoothly besides for Chuck. Hope he gets it fixed by Tomah. Thank you to the Rose family for promoting this pull. Will be back in the future.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Hutch track, June 16, 2018 07:10AM
What happened to Chuck?

Re: Hutch track, June 16, 2018 08:42AM
Tractor caught fire, fuel tank burst that kept the tractor on fire for several minutes until a fire truck was able to get on the track to extinguish the fire. It appears Chuck escaped uninjured.

Re: Hutch track, June 16, 2018 11:45AM
Looks like he is ready to go again tonight! Data logger might not get any readings for him Tank all fixed up.

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 05:20AM
Just watched a recent modified pull in Europe. Tractor flipped and the fire truck was there in less than 30 seconds. Why did Mr. Knapp have to watch his tractor burn for minutes?

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 06:33AM
Water doesn't put out methanol...

Brent Yaron

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 06:56AM
That doesn't explain why there was a long wait for the fire truck? The promoter knew methane would be present, so why wasn't there a fire truck waiting to go? Pulling has had alot of near misses lately in regards to safety. If a European tractor pull can have a firetruck on the track in seconds, there's no reason an American one can't also.

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 08:19AM
Grubby
That doesn't explain why there was a long wait for the fire truck? The promoter knew methane would be present, so why wasn't there a fire truck waiting to go? Pulling has had alot of near misses lately in regards to safety. If a European tractor pull can have a firetruck on the track in seconds, there's no reason an American one can't also.

Grubby - I'm sure there was a lot of methane present from the amount of beer consumed. I am assuming you meant methanol. There is quite the difference between methane and methanol. One is a liquid used as fuel in an internal combustion engine and one is a gas produced by a human in the form of flatulence, or more commonly known as a fart.

There sure seems to be quite a bit of uneducated armchair firefighters on here. There are 3 ways to extinguish a methanol fire.
• Water—a minimum five parts water to one part
methanol
• Foam—alcohol resistant fire fighting foam
• Dry powder extinguisher

- Dry powder is out. You don't want to spray a dry powder extinguisher on an engine due to the damage it will cause.
- Water will work to put out a methanol fire, but you need a larger amount of it than what a 2.5 gallon water press fire extinguisher will provide.
- The true way to put out a methanol or alcohol fire is with a special alcohol resistant foam. It puts a protective layer over the fuel to prevent re-ignition. You either saw in real life or in the video that Knapp posted how easily the methanol will re-ignite.
- A CO2 extinguisher will not put out a methanol fire.

Their onboard video is posted here for those of you that have not seen it: https://www.facebook.com/892165244222153/videos/1513365532102118/

I do agree that there could have been a bit more urgency in some of the response. As a firefighter, I could sit and critique things from this video too, but what is that going to solve? It's in the past. The guys on the department in Hutch will probably look back on this and change things for next year and be more prepared. You need to remember that the regular firefighter isn't familiar with these pulling vehicles and the dangers that come with them. I'm sure they will be more prepared for next year.
Let's all be glad that Chuck and everyone else walked away with no injuries, and he was able to get the tractor fixed and come back and win on Saturday night.

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 11:20AM
I'm not trying to place the blame on the firefighters, they can only do what they are told in situations like this. My point was aimed at the promoters. The promoter should let the local fire dept. know what's going on and plan accordingly. There should never be a several minute wait for anything safety related. It's just not acceptable. Pulling needs to take a long look at safety in the sport as a whole. The mini-rod incident from a few weeks ago, the tire heading for the stands at Louisville, the flying part that ended up on the second deck at Louisville the year before, tractors literally breaking in half, engines popping right out of the vehicle, etc. I've been to pulls where someone died. I've been at pulls where people got hurt. It sucks and it isn't worth it.

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 10:26AM
Another reason was they had two fire extinguishers there within a few seconds and in recent history that is usually enough to put out a fire. I believe they then realized after going through a few fire extinguishers that it wasn't going out and decided to go grab the firetruck as a last ditch effort.

Brent Yaron

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 12:56PM
I’m not getting down on anyone here in case it sounds that way.. I’m not a fireman or a tech official, but my question is, if stopfire is a sponsor, why did they have that silver water filled extinguisher at the big end of the track? As soon as the water hit the fuel fire it went everywhere. Saturday they had several new ones down there. I know hindsight is easy. I was just surprised that wasn’t just the normal operating procedure.. Maybe I’m wrong. Still was an awesome show. And glad chuck got it fixed for Saturday

Re: Hutch track, June 18, 2018 01:27PM
I was thinking the same thing. Where were the stop fire extinguishers? You thing them being sponsees and NTPA announcer preacher them at different pulls that there would be a plentiful supply. I know they are expensive. It the pulling machines are extremely good expensive. Having one on hip of flagger not enough. It maybe NTPA pshluld look at having several on the back end of the sled or somewhere safe on sled during pulls. That way they are close at all times, not in danger of getting hit accidentally along track. Food for thought. Water will just spread it out.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,720, Posts: 229,839, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,969.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro