Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 02:59AM
Have you ever done a " Where are they Now " on the Volland & Lucas team from Columbus,In.If so where could i find it, if not, any plans on a story about them? I always enjoy reading about the past pullers.Thank you, Kent

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 05:26AM
Kent, thank you so kindly for the compliment. My goal is to do justice for each "Legends" person and obviously to preserve the history of NTPA via the subjects experiences. And Sarah, my editor and Jon, "the PULLER" graphic designer at the NTPA office (4.5 hours from here) are part of the whole integral teamwork to bring you these stories.

I just finished Friday and sent in a multi-month story on a SS team that made a real impact upon the pulling sport. These guys really opened up big time to me and revealed their vulnerability along with nitty gritty gearhead stuff about their unique tractors. It is a story like none of the others I have done over the decade of the "Legends" series. It took almost two years to get this story for you readers to read.

Then yesterday & today, I am writing a story on their competitor who won the championship the following year.

Okay, on to your inquiry, Kent. No, I have not written one on Volland & Lucas. I appreciate such suggestions. Looking at their record on www.pulling-reference.com, I say, 'yeah, perhaps'. What I really like about the suggestion is it will provide a story on a SS A-C WD-45, which was a real rarity which to me makes it a unique feature in itself. Then add on that the team campaigned two Oliver 88's, which is a tractor I have yet to feature. This team was not on my really long list of possible features. Are either Denny Lucas and / or Harold Volland still living? If so, about what age are they now and how is their health?

Some on my future feature list are still relatively young and I say to myself, 'oh, I have time yet to feature them, so I better do someone older'. Unfortunately, that keeps plaquing me in time as someone unexpectedly passes away. Prime example is the recent passing of Dan Utz, who I figured I would do in 2019 or 2020.

But, back to an Oliver. One that really made an impact upon me, remember I have spent time on the track with all my subjects (except for the one I am currently writing about), is Rich Miller "Poor Loser" Oliver 88. Then he built a 5SS six cylinder Ford. Now I think that would be neat to learn about Oliver and Ford in the same story. Last I knew, Rich is somewhere in Wisconsin. But, I see in 'pull-ref.com' this current listing: Rich Miller; Robert, WI, LPS (Limited PS) "Badger Binder". So my question to you readers is, is this the same Rich Miller?

I appreciate anyone's contribution to help answer these questions along with other possible "Legends" features you would like to read about. Thank you.

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 07:04AM
Dave, Harrold past away a few years ago an Denny had a motorcycle accident if i aint mistaken approximately 10 to 15 yrs ago out west ( maybe Montana or Wyoming ) and was tragically killed, FYI-- i had the WD45 that Harrold ran back in the day, i ran it here in Kentucky in the mid 80s in what was called light super farm back then, sadly it burnt in a barn fire an was a total loss, i spent alot of time on the phone with Harrold an several trips to Columbus an we became real good friends, his with Margaret and i stay in touch an seems to be doin well, thanks for the reply, Kent

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 07:58AM
Kent, thank you for your reply. Certainly all was not what I was hoping to hear. However, I am glad to hear Mrs. Volland is doing well and you are staying in touch with a precious pulling friend. The family friends we make in pulling for a lifetime is really the ultimate any of us can achieve in this sport that is engrained in our blood and dear to our heart. Thank you, Kent, for your contributions to the sport of pulling.

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 08:49AM
Dave, the WD was my first pulling tractor i owned, second one was a 4 charger SSD21 from Hunleys, 3rd one was a 460 LLSS that was Keith Longs then Doug Horrells, 4th one was Chuck Lewis's Moline " Wild Horses " ( still have that one ) , my current tractor is a 180 Allis Chalmers that was called " the Niemisis " that i run here in Ky, just started getting it figured out.In your earlier post you was talking about the " Poor Looser " im good friends with Steve Roberts that bought it from Rich, Steve an his son's are rebuilding Gene Donaldsons " Mean Gene " White. Its a small world, lol

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 01:30PM
Kent, I believe the only one I do not have a photo of over all those years is Long's. "Nemesis" was Paul ??? from central Indiana? Yes, it is a small world.

Will you be willing to send me your contact info through my website, as I have an idea of how to pay some tribute to Volland & Lucas and thus can use your input. Thanks.

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 02:03PM
Sure, theres a picture of Keith on the 460 at Bowling Green back in the 80s, it was call " Bad News ", i was looking at old pictures of the 5500lbs class at Bowling Green, i can't remember where i found them, but it was a really good picture of Keith making a good run.

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 17, 2018 03:21PM
The Rich Miller that had Poor Loser and Pegasus is a brother to Ken Miller of the Corn & Soybean Special mod and NTPA tech official Jim Miller. If you were looking to get in touch with Rich, that's who I would check with.

Re: Question for Dave Dann June 19, 2018 03:42AM
Dave, I am Tom Dilgard I had a FORD 7000 SS from Lakeville, Ohio that pulled in OSTPA, NTPA at Ohio State Fair, Indiana State, New York State Fair, Bellfefontaine, Ocala Florida, and Georgia I announced OSTPA pulls at the Ohio State Fair, Fort Recovery, New Your State Fair, Indiana State Fair, Fairmont West Virginia, I was the MC for NTPA Banquet when Don Perdone was there. You called and talked to me when I think you were in New York or Canada After Rich sold the 88 I let him use my 7000 Transmission, rear end, I sold him the 8000 Block that was in the 8210, Bought the Sheet Metal from John J in Tenn Call me at (419-368-4675) or cell (419-908-8545) for more of info I would enjoy talking to you. Have a Great Day PS I am still pulling a Ford 8240

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520