Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 07, 2013 11:24AM
Hey everyone,Iam working on a little 3 cyclinder deutz f3l912 series with a bosch A pump. The motor has no marks what so ever. Timing or tdc. The pump has a keyed shaft with a adjustable pump gear. Is there another way to time this pump besides the spill port method ? There has to be a more precise way to do it on these pumps. Any info,thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 07, 2013 12:40PM
other than the plunger method I don't know,plus you don't know for sure when u are at tdc, sounds like a question for injpumped to me.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 07, 2013 01:41PM
Deutz are the least friendly to time engines I've seen. Timing marks are nice and simple, but the spill timing method is really more acurate, which is why the Germans did it that way. farm stock puller has the best solution, but you still need to know what timing degree to set it to. somewhere around 26-30*?

Re: Deutz F3l912 fuel pump July 02, 2014 05:41AM
I bought an Ingersol Rand compressor with this engine. It started right up and ran for about 5 minutes then quit. Cannot get it started again. Have plenty of fuel. Found that pump is not pulling fuel. Any ideas on how to see if it is the injection pump or the small fuel pump?
Dave

3 cylinder specifications July 01, 2015 08:17AM
I am rebuilding a 3 cylider Deutz Engine. Can someone please tell me the specifications for the bearings and head.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 07, 2013 04:47PM
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunitily this motor has no timing marks to go off of. The factory manual has you find tdc the old fashioned way with a dial indicator and then use a degree wheel. Tdc is easy enough to find and mark but the motor is in a tracked drill rig with about 3 inches clearence on the front of the motor and a hydraulic pump driveshaft running off the crank. I started to spill port time it tonight. I dont know how accurate iam going to be able to get as Iam working off the chain coupling hub that is mounted directly off the crank and measuring the distance before tdc when the pump starts to push fuel and then doing the math to convert it to degrees. Maybe I can get it close enough to get it running and then find one of them timing light adapters. The rig came in with a snapped off throttle shaft were it goes into the govenor. With the pump being keyed,I slide the old pump out and the new one back in without touching the adj pump gear. I also put new injectors at that time and adjusted the valves as it has app 7k hours on it. The valves suprisingly were not out too bad but its a very tired motor.It burns around a quart or more a day. Long story short it wont fire. When I pulled the injectors out,cyl 1 tip was black and sooty as expected but cyl 2 and 3 were clean as a whistle. It was definitly bleed. Iam wondering now if with the new injectors and pump if its washing cyl 2 and 3 and losing ring seal ??? I need to verify timing to rule that out and do a compression test next iam thinking. I have a feeling it is going to be low on those two cylinders. Any ideas are appreciated as always. Thanks again for the info.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz July 26, 2018 10:38PM
Hello,

Please what is the injector timing for a Deutz 914. Spill timing.

Thank you

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 07, 2013 01:05PM
deutz didn't put timing marks on there engines you will need to use a piston stop and degree wheel to find top dead center and the degree you wish to have your timing set at and then flow time your pump, or you can make a mark on flywheel at tdc and if you can get the pump close enough to run you can use a diesel timing adapter and timing light and fine tune your pump from there which is the way i prefer. also deutz numbers from the flywheel forward

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 07, 2013 02:47PM
Most Deutz engins had the timing mark on front pulley with a pointer. MACK

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 08, 2013 01:29AM
U can call Walt,s Tractor at 417-632-4364 and talk to Wally or James. They know about anything you need to know about a Deutz. They can tell u exactly how to get it timed and how to convert it to degrees. I know there is marks on the gears inside the cover but you probably don't want to pull front cover.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 08, 2013 11:08AM
Thanks for the name. I will give them a shout if I need some more info. I spill port timed it today and had to do some trigonometry to figure out the degree's. I didnt get a chance to button it up today but I believe I have it spill port timed correctly.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 08, 2013 03:57PM
there is no trigonometry involved you are making it too complicated, when you spill time a pump you put fuel pressure to it and turn the pump real slow until number one barrel quits putting out fuel at that point that is the start of injection and where the pump needs to be set, now with a degree wheel find the degrees you wish to have your pump timed at and assuming you are on compression stroke install the pump gear and there you go a timed engine, it really is that simple.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 08, 2013 09:14PM
I cannot put a degree wheel on the balancer because there is a driveshaft for a hydraulic pump running directly off thefront of the crankshaft. There for I have to use math to figure out degress on the balancer in inches. To pull the driveshaft would require diiassembling half of the machine. So I marked tdc on the balancer then used math to figure out how far away my next mark has to be in inches to equal the required degrees. I wish I could of just used a degree wheel but not in this case.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 08, 2013 09:16PM
Spill timing it was the easy part lol

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 09, 2013 11:10AM
the only problem with doing it that way is that finding tdc with a dial indicator is not very accurate because of the dwell time of the piston at tdc, it sits there for several degrees without moving. so it would be nice to be able use a piston stop and degree wheel but I understand your predicament. You should definately be able to get close enough to run that way then you may just have to play with it a little until it starts and acts right. good luck

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz October 09, 2013 12:20PM
Thank you. I appreciate yours and everyone's help.

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz August 20, 2015 01:49AM
New to diesel engines here....

Do you guys know where i can get a simple spill timing tutorial?

tks
tony

Re: Bosch A pump timing on deutz August 22, 2015 02:38PM
There are some on youtube I believe.

Bosch deutz fuel pump looking for one urgent February 21, 2019 05:52AM
Guys im looking for fuel pump Deutz Bosch for CAT TH417c where i can buy one?? Which website?? Which country ??
Please help

Re: Bosch deutz fuel pump looking for one urgent February 21, 2019 12:28PM
Try Stoughers But why are you looking for a boch pump for a deutz to put on a cat lots of other engines used the same pump that may be easier to find

Re: Bosch deutz fuel pump looking for one urgent February 22, 2019 03:02PM
Stauffer diesel in Pennsylvania!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520