Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 03:52AM
Just curious what the alcohol tractors are running for oil in their engines? Do they change oil and bearings every pass?

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 04:56AM
Most run a 50-weight racing oil, "Lucas,Cenpeco,Brad Pitt, Shaefer", usually change it every 2 to 4 passes, don't change bearings once or twice a year depending on how many passes " shouldn't be checked periodically.

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 04:57AM
Llp
Most run a 50-weight racing oil, "Lucas,Cenpeco,Brad Pitt, Shaefer", usually change it every 2 to 4 passes, don't change bearings once or twice a year depending on how many passes " should be checked periodically.

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 07:13AM
I meant Brad Penn an bearings should be checked periodically, srt

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 06:10AM
brad penn ,,,,,,, bout 100 passes on last bearings ,,,,,20w50

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 12:22PM
I sell Penn Grade 1 oil to several Alky SS tractor owners,they use either 20w50 or straight 50wt. Most seem to change their oil every 3 or 4 passes. They mostly say that their oil gets diluted during the time they are driving around a low RPMS not nessesarily going down the track. Some will boil their oil to remove the Alky from the oil then reuse the oil. We have done that occasionally with the oil in our mod tractors.

S'no Farmer

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 12:41PM
We use Brad Penn Nitro 70 and swear by it. Also be very sure you your oil pan is large enough and you have plenty of oil pressure. We run at about 160 lbs. oil pressure and a 24 quart oil pan

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 01:41PM
What’s the temperature and timeframe to boil the alcohol off? I see a lot use turkey cookers.

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 04:27PM
Usually 180 to 225 degrees for about an hr or hr an a half depending on how much alcohol is in there, you can smell it cooking off, FYI - dont over cook it, it'll scorch an wont be any good, FYI --- an electric turkey cooker is best ( no open flame ).

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors July 01, 2019 01:37AM
Robert,
I use a turkey fryer at about 170°minimum,for 20 quarts it usually takes about an hour. You can smell when the Alky is gone and the oil will look new agian. I don't like to do it more than 2 times. We had some fuel system issues a few years ago and boiling the oil saved me a lot on oil cost, I haven't done it for the last 2 years as we solved those issues. We just put new oil tanks on our engines this year and put oil heaters in them. We can now heat the oil in those tanks if needed without draining the oil, the posiblity of contamination is much lower.

S'no Farmer

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors June 30, 2019 01:09PM
24 quarts Kendall GT-1 50 wt. 2-4 passes, cook off alcohol. Repeat. Bearings every other year

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors July 01, 2019 04:16AM
50 is not heavy enough in a SS engine, 60 minimum or Lucas Nitro 70 worked best for me when I ran a SS at 100+ lbs of boost, pistons lifters rings sleeves, everything looked a bunch better after switching to 70!

BB

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors July 01, 2019 01:28PM
Interesting, none of my customers in any tractor class run 70wt. Most of my blower engine customers use 70w even some of them use 50wt. We have always used Nitro 70 in our blown engines.

S'no Farmer

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors July 01, 2019 02:13PM
To avoid cooking you could build a tray to hold the amount of oil your engine holds about a inch deep and it will evaporate pretty quick just spill some on the floor looks like new in know time

Re: Engine oil in Alcohol tractors July 02, 2019 04:28AM
Todd,

Alcohol Supers are terrible about washing the cylinders down, the 70wt will stay on sleeves and pistons better than any other, piston scuffing went to a minimum after using 70! Sometimes its hard to get, the 60 Blue oil is good stuff, but the 70 was the best in my experience.

BB

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,827, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,963.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro