oliver rear ends September 22, 2015 01:30PM
what are the differences in an 88 rear end and a 1600 rearend? this is for a pulling project that will have a big block chevy in it... I know 1850 would be strongest, but will an 88 or 1600 hold up?

Re: oliver rear ends September 23, 2015 06:47AM
1650 Rear will easily hold 800 HP 3rd gear 26 MPH

Re: oliver rear ends September 23, 2015 09:33AM
Most antique tractor rear ends hold up much better when an auxiliary transmission is coupled in front of the rear end to absorb shock and load.Just saying,been there done that,we two transmissions,no issues and many more speeds.LOL

Re: oliver rear ends September 23, 2015 03:16PM
will a 1600 hold up?

Re: oliver rear ends September 24, 2015 02:15AM
I would suggest staying away from the smaller Oliver transmissions and differentials. If you're planning on running a BB Chevy with a reasonable amount of horsepower, then look for a Cockshutt 40, 50 (Coop E-4, E-5), 560 or 570. They don't get much tougher from the factory than the Cockshutt's were. The transmissions were a little weak, but the differentials are probably one of the best ever built using bull pinions and bull gears. Run it directly into the pinion gear of the differential (direct drive). Then if you rules allow, do as Jimmmbo suggested, run an auxiliary transmission. Preferably a quick change transmission such as ProFab, SCS etc. Again, this is if your rules allow it.

Re: oliver rear ends September 24, 2015 02:24AM
Your right an 1850 is the best but heavier and heavier means less movable weight. "How much hp will a tranny/rearend take" is a common question and the answer to that depends on a lot. I have seen a lot of power run thru an 88 rearend with v8's and big inline 6cyl and as long as you take the necessary steps to fix the known weak spots they will hold up but it definately needs to be needled no matter what rearend u use.

Re: oliver rear ends September 24, 2015 04:52AM
We ran 88 reared for a long time but they don't like much over 700 hp, they will start breaking the back input shaft bearing support. We ran a 1650 with about 750 to 800 hp without much trouble,we did break a gear or two in the transmission over the years. As one sick puppy has mentioned the old co-op and cockshutt 40 reared are about as good as you can get. We also used a 4600 ford and they are very strong and have very good brakes built into them.

S'no Farmer

Re: oliver rear ends September 24, 2015 01:34PM
Hey S'no Farmer, How much HP will a 4600 Ford rearend take? Also what is the weak area?

Re: oliver rear ends September 24, 2015 01:47PM
I do alot of work on transmissions and differentials for v 8 tractors. One of the best ones that I have seen for holding up is a farmall 400. I have seen no breakage in them. The differential cross is the same size from a farmall 400 to an international 1466. An oliver 88 is known for breaking the axle housings so they are not a good candidate. Actually I have also seen a lot of breakage in the cockshut 40 rearends. They have a very small differential cross. Although I have no experience with an oliver 1600 or 1650, I have done some work on an 1800. They are definitely heavy duty but probably too heavy. I would think a 1600 or 1650 would be fine for use behind a v-8.

Re: oliver rear ends September 25, 2015 01:11AM
I'm not sure how much the 4600 will take but they have been run in some Lt SS and held up pretty well. We had to run a gear in the 8 speed that was not strong enough ( I think it was 6th ) so did we away with it and used a truck transfer case in its place to get our gear reduction. Some one like Bob Barbee could tell you a lot more about what they will handle. As for the mention below about the 88 breaking axle housings, we ran one for 15 years and never broke one or saw one get broken on other tractors. Also surprised to see the comment about cockshutt 40, I've seen a lot of those things and thought they held up great. We even ran one with a blown engine for a while with no issues. I'm not saying he is wrong but I'm surprised to hear that.

S'no farmer

Re: oliver rear ends September 25, 2015 02:19AM
All breakage depends on casting cracks and stress issues.Some applications were lugging is done breaks many more parts that high speed spinning,with the power flying out the end of the shafts and ect.That is why stock type pick ups with auto trans low stall speed break so many parts is that the torque is wrapped up in the driveline,not spinning,there fore breakage on weak parts. Helping to limit shock loads is a great way to extend housing life,slipper clutches are a good way to start with minimal effort and stress.I have broken bull gears under extreme torque,but with much higher hp on other lighter tractors never when running rpms.Have a good weekend.

Re: oliver rear ends September 25, 2015 04:38AM
The parts that I have seen break in a cockshut are the differential and the ring and pinion. This was with v 8 pushing 700-800 hp.

Re: oliver rear ends September 25, 2015 12:42PM
I've bused the side out of a 570 Cockshutt carrier & we've pushed the input shaft out of an 88 rearend. With a billet carrier, the cockshutt will be nearly bullet proof under 2000HP. The oliver will have galding issues with the bull pinions with a lot of HP or torque.

Re: oliver rear ends August 27, 2019 10:07AM
yes an 88 rear end will do just fine I have one in a mod tractor with a bbc in it 850 horse power and was working fine with 24.5 tires on it the tractor is 4 sale too the 88 is lighter and will be just fine run mine in 4 th gear 28 mph you have to do a few thing to them but not bad my nub is 507 724 3906

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,633, Posts: 229,697, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520