Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 02:00AM
The “pro stock” class in my area is a 540ci any turbo, up to 505ci can be intercooled. Would an intercooler make more power or would the extra cubes and ability to turn a bigger charger be the way to go?

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 08:28AM
I’d say cubes. But I like the class. Where is this?

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 10:15AM
Kinda what I was thinking too. It’s in Ontario Canada OTTPA

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 11:43AM
If all rules are the same and only difference is the smaller cube can have an intercooler, then hands down the intercooler is the best choice.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 01:58PM
Hands down the cooler over the 36 cubes!! I pull almost exactly what you are asking about

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 02:20PM
505 with an intercooler will be able to run a larger charger than a 540 non-intercooled. The intercooler makes a much denser air charge allowing a bigger charger. May be a lil harder to light, but once lit it’ll carry itself.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 02:31PM
What is turbo limit on the 505?

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 02:34PM
I dont see a 505 making 3000 hp, cooler or not. Just saying.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 12:59AM
Turbo size

The only thing that will prevent it from making 3000 hp+ will be the injection pump limitation.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 01:33AM
It won't much matter which version you go with......either way it will be difficult to put that type of power to the ground on a number of track surfaces available in the area of the province this club runs - sand/stone dust/poorly prepared soil is no fun to hook on! While there are some decent ones, it's still unfortunate because it's a significant amount of money to invest in something that you can never truly extract the best on track performance out of. I would shoot for the setup that is easiest to tune/maintain.....durability is a great thing. It would be great to see another one out and (hopefully) make most of the pulls. There has been (at times) a shortage of iron at different hooks for this class.

Good luck and enjoy the build process!

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 06:38AM
help

The only thing that will prevent it from making 3000 hp+ will be the injection pump limitation.
And the turbo, and the injectors, and the cubic Inches, and the cam, and the rest of the engine setup.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 08:49AM
Turbo size

And the turbo, and the injectors, and the cubic Inches, and the cam, and the rest of the engine setup.

GrinningGrinningGrinning allow me to simplify it for you! If the only rules difference is the 505 can have a cooler and the 540 can't and as stated by the op turbo is unlimited then only a pump limitation will prevent the 505 from making 3000 hp. If you are under the impression that 35 cubic inches will prevent it from being capable of making this # if the fuel is not limited then you are sadly mistaken. Now yes I do understand that if you run a stock unported head or a camshaft that is way out of whack you ain't gonna make a big #. So yeah the assumption here was that to make that 3k number we'd be using good parts.

According to "won't matter" in his post above it sounds as if a decent prepared 505 with cooler would be ideal for the class, tune it to live easy and not overpower the track in poor conditions and turn the wick for good tracks Smoking

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 12:42PM
help

GrinningGrinningGrinning allow me to simplify it for you! If the only rules difference is the 505 can have a cooler and the 540 can't and as stated by the op turbo is unlimited then only a pump limitation will prevent the 505 from making 3000 hp. If you are under the impression that 35 cubic inches will prevent it from being capable of making this # if the fuel is not limited then you are sadly mistaken. Now yes I do understand that if you run a stock unported head or a camshaft that is way out of whack you ain't gonna make a big #. So yeah the assumption here was that to make that 3k number we'd be using good parts.

According to "won't matter" in his post above it sounds as if a decent prepared 505 with cooler would be ideal for the class, tune it to live easy and not overpower the track in poor conditions and turn the wick for good tracks Smoking
To help, Im a little confused as to why you started this thread, since you seem to know so much about it? Example, when you make statements as quoted above where you state that I am sadly mistaken about a 505 with a cooler making as much power as a 540 without one. I suggest since you know so much about it, that you just build to suit your fancy. I believe that you have no clue as to how much money and knowledge is needed to produce that 3k number with a 540, not to mention what it would take , if even possible with a 505.
Good luck with your build and get your check book out. By the way if you are going to " Tune it to live easy" you are gonna be way behind.
Good luck.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 12:56PM
To help. Sorry I was mistaken about you starting this thread. Unless you are Curious who wrote original post. Best wishes.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 20, 2019 01:09AM
to turbo size: It's ok, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Facts are confusing to those who base their opinion on assumptions and when your ego gets stepped on understanding what is written can be a challenge also. Hopefully "won't matter" brought to light a bit of the point I was trying to make on durability and success on the track.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 19, 2019 01:09PM
Turbo size,

" By the way if you are going to " Tune it to live easy" you are gonna be way behind"

Most times this statement is true, but I'm telling you it won't matter on most (not all) tracks he will pull on with that org. You'll burn the tires off and do nothing special. Tractors with much less HP and a whole lot less maintenance will run right with you.....have watched it happen several times. You will make yourself sad with the results based on HP output and investment.

Now, if the tracks were tight like in other regions of the province, it would be a no brainer. My advice would be to build less and have fun, keep it alive.

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 20, 2019 06:13AM
Yes there are some tracks that are far from ideal.We have over 25 events all across Ontario and I will say 1/3 of events have some of the best tracks anywhere. Another 1/3 are getting better every year with promoters working with pullers and the club to improve tracks. Unfortunately some will never improve because of politics and lack of support.
What ever you decide to build is up to you, just like the decision not to pull on stone dust

Re: Cubes or intercooler September 18, 2019 03:25PM
Curious
The “pro stock” class in my area is a 540ci any turbo, up to 505ci can be intercooled. Would an intercooler make more power or would the extra cubes and ability to turn a bigger charger be the way to go?

What is the weight of this class in your area?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,849, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,976.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro