Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 04, 2019 01:41PM
I love this site, but it would be nice if there were a forum dedicated to technical issues. That way, all the guys (or gals) that want to discuss the price of beer in Gordyville or the future of light super stocks can continue to go at it while me and my gear head buddies can talk shop and do our part to advance the sport without interruption.

thanks,

Mike

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 04, 2019 02:33PM
Good idea

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 04, 2019 02:41PM
Nobody will give you an honest answer without swiping your credit card first...….

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 04, 2019 03:00PM
Mike P
I love this site, but it would be nice if there were a forum dedicated to technical issues. That way, all the guys (or gals) that want to discuss the price of beer in Gordyville or the future of light super stocks can continue to go at it while me and my gear head buddies can talk shop and do our part to advance the sport without interruption.

thanks,

Mike

Take it up with Jake or Dick.

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 05, 2019 01:22AM
Mike,

Thanks for your comments, this is something I don’t think I’ve ever addressed publicly but I made a conscience decision about it a while ago. Sub-forums have been tried before on other pulling sites in the past and it’s never ended well. There are a couple of major problems with sub-forums and especially a technical sub-forums in our motorsport:

1. The majority of guys in this sport keep their tech info pretty close to the vest. Cody is right, guys feel like they’ve spent the money and learned the lessons the hard/expensive way and they don’t want to give that info away for free. I wish it wasn’t like this but that’s a pretty common problem with tech forums in many motorsports. Personally I’d encourage you (and everyone else) to post more of those technical topics, I love them, I think there a huge benefit to all guys out there and the more tech info that gets shared the better the sport will be in the long run. Questions about timing, gear ratio, turbo housings, etc… are hugely helpful to both new guys getting into the sport and those who are looking for a little more power or reliability, it makes everyone better. The info in the forum needs to be give and take, not just take, so feel free to post answers not just questions.

2. Other puling websites have tried to sub-divide their site into different sub-forums for all different discussion topics. The result is that each individual sub-forum looks like a ghost town, with just a handful of posts in each sub-forum in a week or month. This sport is small; it’s a niche motorsport and there aren’t millions of people on this page each day. Thousands yes, but not thousands of new topics. This site is the largest and most visited tractor pulling site in the world and yet it’s still pretty easy to read through the topics and new posts in a matter of minutes. Almost all people in this sport love to read the page but most don’t post comments the page. I wish more people would post but it’s just not the reality of our motorsport. Once all those sub-forums “look” empty then people just start to assume the whole site “looks” empty, the result is a decrease in site traffic. Perception becomes reality and it spirals downwards.

I decided a while ago that I’d much rather have a single discussion forum with good traffic instead of multiple sub-forums with very limited traffic. Maybe someday we'll be overrun with tech questions and answers and there will be a need for a separate forum. Until then we'll keep plugging along like this.

I hope this addresses your comment, even though it might not have been the answer you hoped for.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 05, 2019 02:31AM
I find myself passing by threads that don't interest me or that go into too much detail (or bickering). Especially when I don't have time to do a lot of reading, I just skip them.

S'no Farmer

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 05, 2019 02:49AM
One of the problems I see is that after only a couple responses a thread can go into the weeds so quickly. It will turn into the LLSS, HF, where were you last week, do you still have that JD A thread.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 07:45AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 05, 2019 11:31AM
Thanks Dick for the feedback. Makes sense about the sub-forums and loss of control. It's kind of chaotic the way it is and that isn't all bad. Also, like this comment about discussions spiraling downwards as they tend to do... even if it starts out as a discussion about optimum cubic inches it won't be long before it turns in to a discussion about whether or not someone is following the rules or trying to cheat. Guess that's human nature. Anyway, thanks for the space and I will certainly do my best to initiate and perpetuate some technical discussions along the way.

Mike P.

Re: Separate Forum for Technical Issues November 08, 2019 01:53PM
I use to be into rock crawling and they had a forum called hardlinecrawlers.com the way it was set up was super neat I think something similar could work here if they would take a look at it. Mid south pulling association has the same structure but none of the pullers use it because the organization doesn’t push it. However even forgetting all that one thing I’d like to see is a thread of wear people could post pictures of a build thread so people could follow along or see a bunch of pictures from start to finish I think one could do that with out giving all your secrets away.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009