Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 06:06AM
I think we all can agree that the reason neither class have made it to the national level is due to a lack of tractors willing travel. Most stay regionalized and for good reasons. Light pro is strong out east and gaining popularity in Wisconsin and Missouri. Limited pro is strong in missouri and Wisconsin, but spread thin east of there. What if the rules were combined and had one class. Here was a thought on rules.

Cubic inches: 540 or 600

Turbo: 4.8 intake
5.0 or open exhaust

Chassis: ag chassis 9000 or 9500 lbs.
If decide to go component 8000 or 8500 lbs

Fuel: P-pump
Could argue a sigma, but dont see a need for it.

Billet heads allowed

Aftermarket manifolds allowed

Aftermarket Blocks allowed

No innercoolers

This I just a random thought, think it would be a nice class. Trying to meet the middle of rules. Mostly light pro engine, with limited pro turbo restriction and weight balance.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 06:21AM
No bullet heads and no aftermarket blocks,no components...what makes it popular is it's still a tractor,we all can relate too

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 06:41AM
I would at least allow recasted heads they are legal all the way down to hot farms

When I said aftermarket block I ment recasted. Mainly for durability, you dont know what a junkyard block has gone through. Schnitker and hyper blocks can both run stock internals.

Component chassis would be more for safety, light pros at 8500 are grinding so much material out to balance them that they arent safe anymore.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 08:18AM
IPL is already doing this, has been for years. Run your setup, Light Pro, or Limited Pro. Everyone pulls at 9000lbs. Simple. Done. Works.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 09:52AM
Mr. IPL, I kno those are out there. I'm not a big fan of mixed classes, and you wont get that at the national level. The problem with a mixed class like that is, someone is gunna feel outgunned due to rule differences and tracks play a big factor into that. I would like to see the classes be combined into one set of rules. That would mean more tractors across the nation, more of a possibility going Grand National/Champions Tour, better purse payout. And to through a cherry on top, possibility of having a 2 night session at NFMS, BG, and other big pulls like that.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 10:24AM
here we go again,- not a day passes without someone wanting more classes to fit their reasons,no matter what class, where ever, someone will always dominate for a season or two, with hy-tech, money, cheating, misinterpreted rules or just plain does homework better, never can be or will be even,equal or fair,cuz some have more resources at their disposal.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 01:18PM
Like I said.... IPL does it, it works. If you want to complicate it more in your head, then by all means dont let simplicity stop you. I agree with "SMH" because I'm shaking my head too. And if you're worried about someone feeling outgunned, then you have a people problem, not a rules problem

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 11:44AM
I don't understand why when someone talks about a new class then they want to take an existing class/classes and rewrite the rules. Let's drop PS to 600 cubic inches or SF to 540 or on and on. The sport is already expensive enough without adding more cost. It's not like you can throw your engine in the dryer and shrink 50 cubic inches. And if you combine Lt PS and Lm PS with the same rules what's the gain.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 12:25PM
Dick Morgan you hit it on the head. Ohio State and IPL are making the class work as a mixed class. No need for another set of rules.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 03:01PM
Georgee I didnt say I wanted to add a class I wanted to take 2 classes and turn them into 1.

The benefit would be one less class with more tractors across the nation to justify letting it go Grand National/Champions Tour.

Ask most pullers, they would rather have a set class rule instead of mixing classes. The only reason they mix them is so they can have one decent class instead of 2 poor class (as far as numbers go)

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 03:50PM
So you want to make all the 540 guys spend more money if it goes to 600? The 640 guys would have to also. What about all the 640's if it goes 540? Leave it alone! In my opinion both classes have been successful. Every class has an issue in different regions, just let it be. And if component chassis is allowed in either class it will do more harm than good. There are already component classes available, if you want it, build for 1 of those classes.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 04:45PM
I deffinatly didnt say it was an ideal situation, and I don't believe there is any way it would actually happen due to the fact 640 wont want to decube and 540 doesnt want a bigger engine (money wise and personal preference) . My whole thought process was the fact that you have 2 class that put on a very similar show, the average fan couldnt tell what was on the track unless they were told. You have 2 classes that are worthy of a National level class, while they fight each other for tractors, hooks, and the big pulls to prove themselves (NFMS, BG, Chapel Hill, etc). I dont buy the components will hurt, I'm not really pushing for them, but if it's a matter of safety, than I'm not against it. This was just a hair brained idea that I thought I would share, dont feel it's a terrible rule set.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 15, 2020 03:24PM
Dick Nailed it! Pro should be no bigger then 600! Super Farm 540 I agree. DSS USS 540. Light super 436. Then you have no need for new classes. New classes only happen when pullers cannot put out the money to play in current classes. NTPA and others allowed things to get out of hand and now the sport its self is in trouble if classes don't step up and backup.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 13, 2020 07:01PM
If you truly wanna combine these 2 classes to make it a national class I can agree with the component chassis for saftey I can see that but for also reliability and somewhat cheaper rear ends but other then that why would you keep the weight at 8 or 9000 when the tractors would be weighing around 6 to 6500 empty why wouldn't you say 6800 to 7500 lb would be the weight class in that range. And the run similar rules of the European Pro stocks at 510 cubes keep the p pump keep the turbo exhaust wheel rules that they have now on both classes since they're the same and make a true Light limited Pro Stock class it should also help out with the super Farms dying off

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 14, 2020 12:14AM
I like having enough weight to balance it that I dont have to play a draw bar game on a good track. In my opinion, the light pro class puts on a piss poor show when they get on a track good enough that they cant keep the front ends down. I said no smaller than 540 cause that's where light pros are now. Plus a 640 with 4.78 piston could put a stock 414 crank and matched rods and boom your at 540. You could go 510, but I dont really see the need to compare us to the European Pullers. Not try to bash them, but we are on different sides of the Atlantic Ocean. Being compatible with them isnt really a big deal to me.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 14, 2020 04:37AM
Just an idea, I know of some of the strongest LPS tractors in the game. They pull on some really good tight clay tracks here in central ohio area. I have yet to see a "piss poor show". They actually put on a very good show. Not sure where you gather your info from?

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 14, 2020 05:25AM
I like the light pro stock class, I wasnt trying to bash it. They make great power and sound incredible. But I have seen them when most of them are all bouncing off the wheelie bars. Not my idea of a good show, maybe it was just a bad day for the whole class (I dont get to see them in person that often).

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 14, 2020 10:52AM
The Light Pros and Limited Pros are perfectly fine as true tractor classes, it's a huge part of their appeal. Personally I don't think there's any need to tweak the Light Pro Class with anything major right now. Let the Light Pros and Limited Pros stay how they are.

Side note: They hooked 4-turbo diesel supers for years at 7500 lbs. with 30.5's on. They were able to make weight and make some awesome passes. Infact, there are still some non-component DSS out there that still do a great job getting power to the ground. A 3000 HP Light Pro should be fine with three less turbos, smaller tires, and an extra 1000 lbs. Also, there are still some non-component Pro Stocks that make tons of power and don't have any rearend problems at 10,000 lbs. so durability shouldn't be a problem for a Light Pro since it's 1500 lbs lighter and 500-1000 HP less powerful.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 14, 2020 01:10PM
I agree with Jake 100 percent! Leave these 2 classes alone! With the turbo limits in each class, the class will get alot closer from top to bottom, which in turn will make the class more interesting to watch. There will still be someone who gets the hook of the night and put it on the rest of the pack, maybe next pull it will be a different tractor. Can not wait for pulling season to get here! Plan to attend NFMS to get fired up for the year!

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 15, 2020 10:45AM
Why can't these classes run together? Would be neat to see the big torque vs the high rpms.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 16, 2020 01:07AM
I've seen a few mixed classes. They are neat to watch, but your still not going to get a mixed class at the National Level. From a pullers perspective, why 4.1s dont want to run with Light Pros when they have enough tractors to fill a class. It sucks when someone can build close to 3000 hp(by simply bolting on a bigger charger), when your stuck around 2500 due to rules. When it comes to points, especially since NFMS only accepts points champions, that creates a lot of controversy between pullers. Doesnt make it any fun to go pull when everyone is pissed at each other.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 16, 2020 02:09AM
There are too many GN/SN classes. PS and SSD are GN/SN. If you want to run GN/SN build or buy one. The rest should stay where they are! sf was made a GN class and was presented as the all and end all for those that couldn't or didn't want to spend the money to build a REAL gn tractor! How did that work out? Just cheapened the show, caused nothing but a bunch cheating and complaining from people in the class, and now a cry to make every class a gn class. Both classes in this thread put on a better show than sf no doubt! However, none of them are gn level. GN/SN should mean just that, not stuff I can watch at a local brush pull. No disrespect to brush pullers either, but when people pay for a GN/SN show, they should see one!

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 17, 2020 12:22AM
Agreed to leave classes as is. I have announced several Super Farm GN Hooks in the past couple of years and the class is always on time, no problems, its any ones to win and each team is approachable and friendly. Its a thread for a different time, but ONLY GN caliber vehicles should run at a GN hook.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 15, 2020 11:51AM
Go watch them in IPL. Been doing it for years, great class, competitive.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 15, 2020 12:51PM
Would like to see it out west. Some good 4.1s and some good 540s. Be fun to watch.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 16, 2020 05:55AM
The only reason there is still a super farm class is because the light pro and limited pro haven't gotten to the national level. Why spend as much or a little more money to get paid less. I could see the super farm class die within 5-10 years of those classes making it to the national level.

Re: Limited pro/light pro National level idea. January 15, 2020 03:01PM
They ran them together out west for awhile until the 4.1’s refused to run against the 540’s anymore Grinning

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,778, Posts: 229,951, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,035.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009