Building a LLSS. Using 5.9 cummins on alcohol
Looking for some advice
Stock rods harden,will they hold up
Best fuel pump oil pump to use?
Counterbalanced crank needed??
Is a girdle a must?

Thanks for any help.

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 06:39AM
Since nobody has helped out I'll chime in with my NON-expert opinion and maybe someone will follow-up with much better advice. Waterman Bertha for the fuel pump (hopefully somebody will chime-in with the size... will a Lil Bertha feed a LLSS?). Is a Girdle ever really a bad idea? Seems like cheap insurance. Same goes for a counterbalanced crank, is it ever a bad idea? Hardened stock rods should be just fine (if I remember correctly that's what was in a 3-turbo 5.9 that I worked on many eons ago... as a side note I think it had an Enderle -5 fuel pump on it) but you can probably go lighter with a nice set of billet rods and lighten up your rotating assembly.

Again, I'm no expert I'm just trying to get the conversation started, there are guys who have forgotten much much more than I'll ever know and hopefully they will share some of their knowledge.

As a side note: what sheetmetal are you going to run?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 08:37AM
Thanks Jake for info

This is going on a ford

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 08:42AM
So now I'm curious, why not use a Ford engine 401/456/474 decubed to 370?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 09:42AM
As for cummins, stock rods bend. Cost of billets not to bad for the cummins. Girdle not necessary, definitely stronger forged pistons head studs, main studs, and typical head work. Enderle 1100 fuel pump or an upgrade is the double gear version which I run. Counterweighted crank don't bother. You will split the block first. Jake the Ford engines are much heavier than the cummins.

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 01:47PM
Thanks Jason

Would there be a time I could give you a call?

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 02:46PM
Any evening after 8pm 716 472 4410

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 01:03PM
Biggest reasons were weight and and availability of parts. I liked the power it makes

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 01:30PM
I have done the heads on several of the top running tractors with cummins in them along with other brands if you need one and Jason knows his stuff and really does nice work building a lot of parts

Re: 5.9 cummins alcohol build April 19, 2020 01:31PM
I would go ford hands down! Watch some of the guys in KY the run them. They are hard to handle!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro