Light Super February 15, 2020 12:43PM
Since we have diesels running competively against a 903 cummins in the unlimited super. Why can't we have a diesel running in the light super?

Re: Light Super February 15, 2020 01:14PM
Need to let someone experiment with a pro stock motor in the light super class for a season an give them time to figure it out or see if it can be done i for onr would love to see what the outcome would be, huge diesel motor in a component chassis with 30.5s and enough gear it could be possible !!!

Re: Light Super February 15, 2020 01:18PM
If they were anywhere close to the rules it might be half an idea, they do combine them out east and the pro stocks usually seem to come out on top .

Re: Light Super February 15, 2020 01:26PM
there are some 505 three and four charger diesel out there need to let them pull in LSS class if we really want to have a combined class

Re: Light Super February 15, 2020 01:30PM
Let the diesels be 540 cubes.

Re: Light Super February 16, 2020 12:38PM
Letting a pro stock in is a bad idea. It will just dirty up a long good set of rules at 504. A 504 multi charger diesel can run with them and be very competitive it’s just a really tough weight battle for a diesel.

Re: Light Super February 17, 2020 11:55AM
give the diesel a little extra weight to even it out

Re: Light Super February 17, 2020 12:01PM
You say theres 504s that can run with them then why don't they, answer " because they wont live pushing them that hard all year ", i think a pro stock backed down just a lil and with only one charger means more weight on the front --- needless to say it would be very interesting !!! You Cant say it wouldn't, turn the cubic inches loose with one charger an lets just see what happens-- who knows till it tried ?

Re: Light Super April 24, 2020 12:12PM
Jake or anyone what is ppl esp single turbo cube limit for light i tried to look and do not see one listed

Re: Light Super April 24, 2020 03:09PM
I believe it is 505 no matter how many turbos there are for the light class.

Re: Light Super April 24, 2020 03:22PM
Jim I looked at last years rule book and ESP only shows a cube limit for alcohol tractors in the light class. Only shows a weight difference for the diesel tractors. Maybe at one time it was written as 504. I recall one tractor that ran diesel that was built a few years ago that stayed at that 504 limit I suppose it could be considered a gray area if it’s not written. Might be a struggle to get a big cube diesel light. At the least very expensive

Re: Light Super April 24, 2020 10:04PM
thanks i should of specified diesel also I know that the v8 cockshutt was 640 Cid at one time

Re: Light Super April 25, 2020 12:42AM
Go and talk to Esdon Lehn about a diesell ss in the light supers!

Re: Light Super April 25, 2020 01:12AM
Esdon was very, very successful in the LSS class. Took second in points during a very, very competitive year. Or you could also talk to one of Esdon's customers and occasional trailer mates Joe Degenhardt with the Diggin' Hard tractor he still runs the class from time to time and he's almost always near the very top of the class at Tomah against the best of the best.

As far as I remember ESP never had a cubic inch limit for diesels in the LSS. It's been that way for a while but you're right, the Cocky Cat was the only one to take advantage of it that I know of... well, maybe LLoyd Christ was a 540 but I can't remember for sure. You could build a 680 Prostock motor if you really wanted to. You could build a reliable 540 three charger setup as well. Maybe a 640 with a 4.1? A 540 Light Pro engine? You've got some really good options for parts as well as resale.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Light Super April 25, 2020 03:01PM
We will be chasing the alcies when we get back to pulling again.

Re: Light Super April 25, 2020 04:14PM
I love seeing you guys push those alky guys. I know it's an incredibly huge challenge, but I wish there were more diesel pullers willing to give the LSS a chance. You guys have prove it can be done.

Also, thanks for keeping the 7220 sheetmetal, it's one of my favorites.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 12:15AM
I would still love to see a pro stock motor in a light super and just see how close it would be-- I KNOW TO BIG OF CUBES FOR THE CLASS, but to get the two fuels to compete against each other WHY NOT TRY IT and just see what happens, could be very interesting to say the least !!!

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 01:30AM
If someone put a pro stock motor in a light chassis an wrapped it with tin that a light super should look like, say perhaps a 686 IH or 4010 JD or a 180 AC, how cool would that be, too many big sheet metal tractors in the light class -- nothing against the workmanship just too big looking for a light small tractor class -- chizecks all look the same !!!

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 02:07AM
I realize everyone is bored but a prostock engine in a LSS will not work. 1. It’d never balance. 2. If you detuned it it wouldn’t have enough power. 3. If you didn’t detune it it would likely explode.

They are 10000 lbs for a reason folks and they are all looking for better tires for a reason

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 03:20AM
I have to disagree, throw enough gear in it with one charger more weight could be on the nose, the kind of power they make at 6200lbs they would be drivable off the line, may not be able to run puller 2000s but Traction Unlimited has the Legacy tire that weighs in the 350lb range that would work, it would be a drivers game--- dont know till you try and it would take at least a year to know for sure, it very well may not work but it very well might too !!!!

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 03:20AM
I agree that it would be cool to have some diesels in the mix for LSS........and I also know this unlikely. But the Pro Stock engine idea is intriguing. I'm not saying 680 ci is required, but a larger ci single charger limit might be worth exploring for the class. I have no idea what ci it would or should be, but there isn't a rule stating that you can't run a single turbo in this class......just a limit on the number of turbos and stages.

Maybe something like 540-570 with a 4.4" - 4.9" charger? Not sure that makes sense. It's just a rambling suggestion........go ahead and bag on me guys. Tell me I'm an idiot who has no idea.......

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 03:26AM
When it comes to weight on tires.......who says you have to run 30.5's? Give it a try on 24.5's and see what happens.......they are "under" the limits.

Sounds like an interesting concept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 03:26AM by FarmersFun.

Re: Light Super April 26, 2020 02:18AM
I feel getting more diesel tractors in the LSS would definitely get the crowd into the show! There is nothing like a rivalry of smoke vrs booze.

But the diesels are at a major disadvantage! If they were perfectly even why has everyone went away from diesels!?

One big difference is cost per pass. A competitive 505 dss is probably double or triple an alcohol super. Not saying an alcohol super doesn't break or is cheap. But it definitely is much less work and $. Most dss tractors have catastrophic engine failure more than once a year. I know there is the argument that the Ross tractor never breaks, has any issues, and runs maintenance free. That is absolutely not the norm. The Ross family definitely has everything figured out in the motor department!

Cost of initial build a dss motor is much much more expensive. Scream a lss diesel up around 6,000 rpm 300+ pounds of boost 5+ gallons of water 3 gallons of fuel. You are injecting the fuel while the piston is still on its way up. This builds astronomical cylinder pressure. To get a motor to take this you have to build everything at a different level than an alcohol tractor. Everything about the diesel motor is much more expensive from rods to fuel system.

Weight of building a diesel is a disadvantage in lss. Due to the recast blocks, recast heads, billet steel rods, solid steel wrist pins, heavier pistons, billet crank shaft, having to tie the recast block together, and a bigger fuel- water system a diesel motor weighs much more than an alcohol. This takes more weight off of the nose of the tractor. Most diesel teams can not afford the weight of the HP tires and have to run ragged 8 plys. Less weight on the nose and no HPs = a wilder ride and less gription.

The other issue is traction control. Diesel motor does not have traction control. You can not tune a Diesel motor to run low rpms off the line and then maintain certain rpms the rest of the run. Diesel tractors need to be close to full tilt to make it off the line. On very hard tracks with no bite this is a major advantage for the alcohol tractors. It also keeps the alcohol motors from over revving and causing damage.

Joe Degenhardt does run very hard in the lss with his diesel. He even won a grand national hssd last year. With as hard as he runs and as good of a tractor that he has it still has not been that close the past two years. Seems to be around 30 feet behind the leader. Not taking anything away from Joe as Wisconsin has grand national caliber state level tractors in lss. Joe also melted it down in a ball of fire twice last year in the lss. He doesn't seem to be holding anything back. So it would be nice to get Joe's opinion on what it would take to get the diesel tractors competitive!

I truly feel getting more diesel tractors in lss would improve the show greatly!!! I don't know what it would take to to get them to be competitive. Be it weight or cubes. But they are not competitive enough as they sit now. I know some people would argue that its not really a win if your given an advantage. But it would be good for the show to have smoke vrs booze back!!!
Beer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,738, Posts: 229,877, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,989.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM