Balance on a mini May 06, 2020 06:47AM
We are just getting son going in a mini We are starting with a natural aspiration to get him going. Then we have a hemi with only around 1500 hp. We don’t want to rattle him at first. He has been to two pulls with his mini and done very good. Two second place finishes. But we know as we add power and move up we need to learn more. Is there anyone willing to share a basics setup You can PM me with it. We just want to give him the best chance possible

Thanks

Re: Balance on a mini May 07, 2020 11:29AM
on big mods Ralph always said start with 40% of total weight on front I do not know if that applies to a mini but it might and you can always stand next to scale and see what is on front of other ones before the event (industrial spying happens a lot)

Re: Balance on a mini May 08, 2020 07:28AM
Depends on horsepower...however, there are many things to consider...pinion angle, crankshaft c/l height, center line balance, total hitch length, hook point height, hitch point height.....There are just some tried and true numbers that have been proven over the years.

Re: Balance on a mini May 08, 2020 11:17AM
Don, I think today that % might need to be higher because of the improvements in tires and in HP. Those two factors have changed quite a bit in the last 15 or so years.

I'm talking big tractors so I don't know in the mini class how much the tire situation has changed from that standpoint. I know the tires have gone away from the Firestones but also more recently the cut on the Mini tires has changed significantly. That all adds up to more front weight, I'm not sure if it's still the case but lowering the hitch was quite common with Minis a few years ago.

S'no Farmer

Re: Balance on a mini May 10, 2020 08:49AM
Todd you may well be correct but obviously Jim doesn't want to say for sure LOL

Re: Balance on a mini May 11, 2020 05:55AM
HaHa...I try for 60-40 but try to pay more attention to the other points I posted. Todd is correct....tires have changed so much. There is a reason that S B*A*M can't keep the front down even carrying 100# on the front and less than a full 13" hitch.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,960.

Our newest member CBeard