Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 07:31AM
I believe it's way past time to address the "elephant in the room". Is this sport riddled with cheating, and if so is it prevalent in all classes and all levels of pulling? I realize that everyone has their suspicions of who is cheating and how. So let's set this ground rule right off the bat, and the same thing if you are going to accuse someone of cheating your post will be deleted unless you put your name and phone number on the post.
So to get to the topic, if cheating is taking place, how? What is most prevalent way to cheat, over cubic inches, doctored fuel, traction control in some form? Let's start with cubic inches, when was the last time any tractor at the national level in any class was checked for cubic inches? Are Light Super Stock really just 504, is Pro Stock just 680, what do we really know about cubic inches? The issue with fuel may be the easiest one to solve if the testing equipment has the ability to find anything that is not legal. But this brings us to the real problem in the sport, traction control. With today's technology it is the most difficult issues to find when it comes to cheating. With any spark ignition vehicle how easy is it to hide traction control components? Is cheating at the national level one of the things that the organization does not want to find, they do not want their marquee pullers outed using an unfair advantage? Could they find traction control if the box said "Acme Traction Control" clearly printed on the side. If something is not enforceable either through detection or neglect should it be legal for everyone in the class. Should everyone have that same advantage and not have to hide knowing full well that their competitors are using it. Or is that the justification to use traction control or any means of cheating by saying well I know Joe or Frank or John or Carol are using it and they're not getting caught why should they have an advantage? I think one of the realities is that the national organizations don't have the resources, and manpower or expertise to look for items that are so easily hidden. I think the days of blind trust may be winding down. For the health of the sport should we be looking at legalizing or detecting?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2020 08:25AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 08:03AM
Dick,

I believe they tag the fuel tanks at Louisville, at that level of pulling I think they could also afford to bring in a couple well knowledgeable pullers to enforce rules, but, how many pullers at an event like that would be put back on the trailer and not put on the show they paid for? For your smaller pulls around the state’s is there really anyone that also pulls in an association that has to point the finger and become enemies with fellow pullers?

The reason we don’t see much enforcement is due to the lack of this sport growing and trying to keep the crowds entertained without sending a quarter to half the pullers home for cheating/disagreeing on rules. Trust me when I say I wish there was more pullers out there but the money to build a tractor these days is getting a little overwhelming.

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 10:49AM
Put up the money and protest it. But then that also comes with the possibility of being proven wrong and learning that some are just better more dedicated pullers than others. Also as mentioned above many pullers are way overextended and frustration from lack of success often boils over into accusations of cheating

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 12:13PM
A good engine builder doesn’t build anything illegal because once you get caught cheating you’ll always be a cheater.

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 11:29AM
I’d just like to see the tech officials be fair. There is a certain multi tractor team that barely has to open a side panel and they are good to go. Saw it with my own eyes in Louisville. They made Hootman open the whole hood, while they very next tractor that was looked at was just peaked in while the side panel
shielded anyone from glancing in.

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 01:10PM
So you’d like to techs to have a better view or you would like to see fit yourself? Because what’s under the hood is really only the driver and tech officials business.

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 01:33PM
IM glad to here a little Cockshutt got protested for a re cast head and passed this weekend sickem Cody those 430 cubes are working ooops

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 01:47PM
It is not the engine builders responsibility to enforce any rule, he does his job as per request of client, after it leaves the shop builder has no control of what is done with said product, can be told 504, 640, 680 for a class and be put in any thing.

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 02:24PM
Lewis Conner
IM glad to here a little Cockshutt got protested for a re cast head and passed this weekend sickem Cody those 430 cubes are working ooops

The 24.5 tires are really working for Cody lately. Plus, the hard work that they have put into the build--certainly can't forget that!

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 11:39PM
I agree the tractor has had a lot of shop time spent on it the 430 was a joke good job cody

Re: Cheating and what to do about it! August 16, 2020 02:32PM
Dick Morgan
I believe it's way past time to address the "elephant in the room". Is this sport riddled with cheating, and if so is it prevalent in all classes and all levels of pulling? I realize that everyone has their suspicions of who is cheating and how. So let's set this ground rule right off the bat, and the same thing if you are going to accuse someone of cheating your post will be deleted unless you put your name and phone number on the post.
So to get to the topic, if cheating is taking place, how? What is most prevalent way to cheat, over cubic inches, doctored fuel, traction control in some form? Let's start with cubic inches, when was the last time any tractor at the national level in any class was checked for cubic inches? Are Light Super Stock really just 504, is Pro Stock just 680, what do we really know about cubic inches? The issue with fuel may be the easiest one to solve if the testing equipment has the ability to find anything that is not legal. But this brings us to the real problem in the sport, traction control. With today's technology it is the most difficult issues to find when it comes to cheating. With any spark ignition vehicle how easy is it to hide traction control components? Is cheating at the national level one of the things that the organization does not want to find, they do not want their marquee pullers outed using an unfair advantage? Could they find traction control if the box said "Acme Traction Control" clearly printed on the side. If something is not enforceable either through detection or neglect should it be legal for everyone in the class. Should everyone have that same advantage and not have to hide knowing full well that their competitors are using it. Or is that the justification to use traction control or any means of cheating by saying well I know Joe or Frank or John or Carol are using it and they're not getting caught why should they have an advantage? I think one of the realities is that the national organizations don't have the resources, and manpower or expertise to look for items that are so easily hidden. I think the days of blind trust may be winding down. For the health of the sport should we be looking at legalizing or detecting?

Dick,

I believe they tag the fuel tanks at Louisville, at that level of pulling I think they could also afford to bring in a couple well knowledgeable pullers to enforce rules, but, how many pullers at an event like that would be put back on the trailer and not put on the show they paid for? For your smaller pulls around the state’s is there really anyone that also pulls in an association that has to point the finger and become enemies with fellow pullers?

The reason we don’t see much enforcement is due to the lack of this sport growing and trying to keep the crowds entertained without sending a quarter to half the pullers home for cheating/disagreeing on rules. Trust me when I say I wish there was more pullers out there but the money to build a tractor these days is getting a little overwhelming.

Both of you have some good points here

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,776, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member Jason