Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 12:52AM
In this picture left to right you have Ralph Chamberlain, Lloyd McVey, Gary Quick, Bill Neulon, and Van Botkins

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 01:01AM
Mark Stauffer

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 01:09AM
Bud Wheeler driving Haley's Comet

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 01:43AM
Fred Mende

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 01:44AM
Larry Koester

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 02:00AM
Coleman Wheatley

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 02:06AM
Coleman Wheatley's first IH. Coleman used to say he would "NEVER" own an IH, thus the name "Never say Never"

Will try and get more loaded later...here is some of the names August 29, 2011 02:26AM
Tom Colchin and Banter, Max Simpson, Bad Medicine, John Lorenz, Schmucker on one of the earlier versions of Rampage, Brabec, Rodalyn Knox, and quite a few more that I will upload as time allows.

thanks for the pictures August 29, 2011 05:43AM
i have a 1/64th scale replica of the never say never tractor i never knew where that tractor came from. thanks now i know. i bought it about 12 years ago at the minnesota state fair. always thought it was a good looking tractor.

More Pictures...Shotgun Red August 29, 2011 08:44AM
Shotgun Red

Rampage August 29, 2011 08:49AM
Rampage

Sassey Massey August 29, 2011 08:54AM
Rodalyn Knox

Max Simpson's Double Trouble August 29, 2011 09:01AM
Max Simpson

The General August 29, 2011 09:06AM
Gardner Stone

1987 Indy Super Pull....final pic, some thoughts and questions August 29, 2011 09:24AM
In 1987 monster trucks and particularly the most famous one ever saw the value in pulling. Bob Chandler did a demonstration at the 1987 Indy Super pull. Monster Trucks for years were the freak side show in pulling, but it was pulling that took monster trucks to the masses. Fast forward 24 years and I am not sure that most monster truck fans would know what a tractor pull is. The question is what has changed. I myself would consider the 1980's and early 90's the golden years of pulling and alot has changed since then and I believe we can learn more from other's success. What is it most pulling organizations don't understand, don't get, why hasn't the sport grown? We kick that dead horse on this message board and others all the time. I don't want to hear pulling hasn't grown because rural America has shrunk and as a result so has our sport. In a society that thrives on the obscene and extreme pulling should fit right into what main stream America is looking for. How cool would it be to see a show following the builds of Engler Machine a lot like the Discovery Channel has done with OCC. How many of you can head down to your local Wal-Mart and get your kid an American Thunder t-shirt or toy. Thanks to Wayne Rausch in the early 90's and his efforts with the Galoob toy company I could go down and buy a whole set of micro-machines that were pullers. That puts something tangible in a kids hand that they can play with all year round and provides what is known as top of mind awareness. If little Johnny is playing tractor pulling all year round with his toys guess what he wants to go see when it comes to town. Think it doesn't work, pay attention to your toy section next time you are in, walk in the hot wheels aisle and look at all the monster truck toys little boys get to play with now. There is alot more that goes into it, lack of leadership in all organizations, lack of sponsorship, lack of creativity, and the list can go on. Pulling can be a whole lot more than what it is; it just has to look to its past to know where to go in the present and future.

Re: 1987 Indy Super Pull....final pic, some thoughts and questions August 29, 2011 10:12AM
I am sure part of it is that there is just not as much mindless destruction in tractor pulling as there is in monster truck "racing" or for that matter even on American Chopper. Sure occasionally one will go bang and blow the hood off with a brief fireball, or an axle will break and a tire will go off on its own. When is the last time you saw Bill Voreis or Brian Shramek kick the door in on the side of the trailer to get in and yell at their engine builder? Has anybody ever purposefully crashed their tractor into the barricades at the end of the track intending to flip it on its lid? (Gordyville sand pile does not count.) I believe it's all about the constant mayhem. With pulling you get a 15 second burst of adrenaline, then a 90 second breather. I just don't believe the kids have the patience to appreciate the strategy and engineering of tractor pulling like most of us on this forum do.

Re: 1987 Indy Super Pull....final pic, some thoughts and questions August 29, 2011 10:12AM
Your answer INDOOR pulling and TV. During the late 80's you could see a pull in all the major cities, New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. Also pulling was on all the time on ESPN. TV made the pullers alot more recognizable.

Your answer is poor management... August 31, 2011 02:52AM
Leadership is not what it used to be. The NTPA doesn't get the word out through the media like it had in years past. Look at the Pro Pulling League. How long has it been around? Less than 10 years, maybe less than 5, I'm not that sure. But in that time, PPL has regular programming on Versus (soon to be NBC Sports) and one showing on CBS Sports Spectacular with more in the future. Meanwhile, the NTPA is toiling away on RFD-TV for 30 minutes a week, not counting re-runs. About the only positive the NTPA has done is in its PPV over the internet. If NTPA could get on ESPN or TNN 25 years ago, there's no excuse for not being on a higher profile channel these days so the masses can see pulling. There are lots more channels these days, especially in the motorsports area (Speed, all the ESPNs, Versus, Fox Sports (Root Sports for some), plus any network channels.

I for one, would like to see the NTPA shows extended to an hour, so we can see the whole class, not 10 runs plus a pull off. Maybe then we would see more pulling and less commercials/yapping from the commentators. The shows also need to air sooner. The season is over before the TV shows ever air. It would be one thing if they aired one session per viewing, but we only get one class per viewing. It takes forever to get through the season so by the time you watch all the shows for one season, it's July and the next season is already underway. When the backlog is that deep, people won't care to watch because it's such old news.

Additionally, sponsoring needs to be brought in, much like PPL has done, mimicking the NASCAR model. Pulling will always be expensive, but sponsorships can help offset some of these costs. The sponsorships make the tractors stand out, which is needed when the class is 99% JD or IH. It makes it difficult for new fans to pick a favorite tractor when they all look the same.

The NTPA has dropped the ball on this one is riding on the success of years past. PPL has passed them already in terms of advancing the sport and if they don't step up to the plate soon, pullers will be the ones who suffer with no sandbox to play in.

Re: Your answer is poor management... August 31, 2011 04:14AM
So WEEKLY pulling on RFD is a bad thing, but PPL having a show two or three times a YEAR is better?
Get me some of that stuff you are smoking, because that is some good stuff right there!
It costs money to get shows on ESPN and SPEED, just ask Doug Roberts and the Outlaws! They are still paying for televising Wisner from 6 years ago.
I would love to see pulling on a more prime time slot and to be an hour long and be on ESPN or SPEED, or at least in place of some cattle auction on RFD. But if you notice, ESPN, and SPEED and VS has COMMERCIALS too. (and how can they have the commercials ALL at the same time on like 500 different stations? It is a communist plot I tell you).

More Pics....Chris Holdorf August 31, 2011 08:16AM
Left to right Terry Jones, Chris Holdorf, Al Redmon and Ray Barger

Rich Miller, Walt Roehm, Bob Williams and Bob Fitzgerald August 31, 2011 08:17AM
Region 2 Competitors

Paul Bosse August 31, 2011 08:18AM
Paul Bosse

John Klug August 31, 2011 08:18AM
John Klug

Lee Pendleton August 31, 2011 08:20AM
Lee Pendleton on the City Slicker

Re: More Pics....Chris Holdorf January 05, 2021 01:54PM
I know 2 of these guys Al Redmon and Terry Jones. Really nice guys in my book.

Re: Your answer is poor management... August 31, 2011 06:38PM
[www.propulling.com]

Follow the link. That looks like more than two to three times a year to me. I haven't had my vision checked in a while, so maybe someone can help me out here. Plus the production quality is much better for the PPL shows.

The NTPA shows on RFD-TV started out as commercial-free, but the last few times I've tuned in, there have been plenty of commercials.

Re: Your answer is poor management... January 06, 2021 02:22PM
MAVTV has PPL on every Tuesday...

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 02:42AM
Does anyone know what the 3rd tank is for on the Never Say Never tractor?

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 04:09AM
remember talking to danny dean years ago at syracuse after he had sold the tractor and complaining about the extra tank that coleman put on,it was just for looks.

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 09:01AM
What a great old picture! I like how Bill Newlon took his hat off and sat it down for the picture! Any idea when and where this was taken?
Thanks...Bob Boyd

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 29, 2011 10:25AM
Does anyone have any old pics of Bill Millers old oraginal 1206 Crusin Mule?

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! January 11, 2021 05:36AM
red iron
Does anyone have any old pics of Bill Millers' old original 1206 Cruisin Mule?

I think there is one on a video from 1988 or 1990 from elkhorn or Oshkosh Wisconsin, but I can't remember who made it. its 10 pro though

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! January 11, 2021 11:16AM
red iron
Does anyone have any old pics of Bill Millers old oraginal 1206 Crusin Mule?

I think theres a picture of it on the Good 'ol Days Tractor Pulling Facebook page..You will have to do a search after getting there.

Re: Old Pics More to Come soon! August 31, 2011 04:39AM
The one thing that is getting ignored here is the changing dynamic in cable television. In the heyday of tractor pulling programming on cable television, it was clearly an anything-goes mentality and you could see anything on ESPN because the cost to air was not nearly what it is today. Remember Austrailian Rules Football and how it would run all the time? Today, when contracts to regularly air football and basketball live on the two main ESPN arms and replays (aka Instant Classics) on ESPN Classic are in the billions, The market has changed. The leverage that PPL demonstrates is by my guess the overall Lucas Motorsports package that is coverage paid FOR by Lucas, not coverage ESPN PAYS FOR the rights to air. The SEC contract is the tip of the iceberg, but with the advent of the Longhorn Network to air their coverage, on their own, at a profit, signifies that in a few years ESPN's dominance will start to dwindle. Not to mention that the ESPN of today which prefers to be a part of the news rather than report it suggests it's a far inferior product to the one this writer enjoyed years ago when the Patrick/Olbermann (a pompous pair entertaining back then) on Sportscenter.

A side note here- Who owns the master tapes from the Diamond P broadcasts from back in the day? They were on their game in pulling and drag racing.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,751, Posts: 229,902, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,089, Posts: 226,004.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM