NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 05, 2021 02:32AM
There was a long thread on here discussing the fall of NTPA and the rise of PPL. It essentially asked is PPL in a position to dethrone NTPA as the premier pulling circuit. I read the majority of it, the consensus seemed to be very pro- PPL. There seems to be a lot of concern over the direction NTPA is headed on this forum. Everything said in the thread made sense. It looks like PPL is poised for a takeover. BUT... As a fan, and strictly a fan, a person who loves to go to pulls and be entertained and soak in everything I love about pulling, in my gut I still feel like I would much much rather attend an NTPA pull. I've been to Hutchinson, MN; Tomah, WI; Bowling Green, OH; Jeff City, MO (2012); and Mt. Sterling, IL for NTPA. For PPL I've seen Mound City, MO and Jerseyville, IL. Obviously I need to attend Hillsboro, WI and probably Elkhart, IN to truly compare apples to apples. But, as for now, NTPA creates a much more authentic, prestigious, and entertaining environment than PPL, in my opinion, though I can't quite put my finger on the reason. Fans, which do you prefer and why? Does anyone agree with my sentiments? I'm not against either league in any fashion. Just curious which one is reaching the hearts of those in the bleachers best.

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 05, 2021 06:14AM
I'll put a vote in for western series PPL, people are easy to get along with and have pullers AND spectators in mind when making decisions!

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 05, 2021 07:27AM
Eitel
I've been to Tomah, WI; Bowling Green, OH; for NTPA. For PPL I've seen Mound City, MO and Jerseyville, IL. Obviously I need to attend Hillsboro, WI and probably Elkhart, IN to truly compare apples to apples. But, as for now, NTPA creates a much more authentic, prestigious, and entertaining environment than PPL, in my opinion

Eye Rolling

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 05, 2021 09:10AM
100% an NTPA fan here and have been for a long time. NTPA was "dying" and being taken over by TNT in the 80's, then SRO, ATPA, and now PPL...blah blah blah. NTPA puts on a great pull where true pulling competition is the purpose. Go every year to the Fort, BG, Wellington, and Enderle, and even went to Rockwell last year when everyone else cancelled. I stopped going to OSTPA pulls when they left NTPA and I don't miss them. Just my @.02.

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 05, 2021 09:58AM
I have been to NTPA and PPL. I’m a promoter of an NTPA pull and will pull both.
But I while say, had opportunity to go to Rock Valley IA outlaw event. Very impressive as well.

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 06, 2021 12:18PM
Groundpounder
100% an NTPA fan here and have been for a long time. NTPA was "dying" and being taken over by TNT in the 80's, then SRO, ATPA, and now PPL...blah blah blah. NTPA puts on a great pull where true pulling competition is the purpose. Go every year to the Fort, BG, Wellington, and Enderle, and even went to Rockwell last year when everyone else cancelled. I stopped going to OSTPA pulls when they left NTPA and I don't miss them. Just my @.02.

Competition is a good thing.
NTPA has it's pros and cons
PPL has it's pros and cons
Outlaws has it's pros and cons

I've probably been to more TNT, SRO, and PPL pulls than NTPA pulls over the years; having one organization is never good for the puller. A monopoly is not good for the puller.
Just like having the government make choices for you is not a good thing.
Capitalism is King!

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 05, 2021 12:18PM
I have been to many pulls and my vote easily goes to NTPA, there’s something about they way the pulls are put on , to me PPL lacks something, I’m
Not sure what it is but they have good equipment to offer NTPA just produces a better production throughout .

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 06, 2021 03:05AM
From a fans perspective the show quality really comes down to a couple things:

1. How many/quality of pullers at the event

2. Quality of the track and sled setting

3. Quality of the vantage points and view to watch the pull

I go to alot of Ohio pulls and I will say that normally the NTPA hooks whether RN or GN have much better tracks than PPL sanctioned hooks. Anytime you see Jim Miller building the tracks you know your going to see a good power track with speed and quality hooks, sleds are usually set properly to see the winner out beyond 320. The downside of the ntpa has of course been the lagging numbers and quality of pullers. The PPL pulls have better iron but sometimes the show just insnt as good.

I know the OSTPA(PPL state now) show quality has gone completely off the cliff, almost every pull I attend the track is crap and the sleds are set wrong.

Even the little things on the OSTPA(PPL) are dumb. Take the tiffin hook for instance, its kinda OSTPAs biggest hook, all the classes, 2 tracks. They pull the trucks on the pitside, even tho 90% of the fans in the pits are there to see the Prostocks, mods, and semis. Not a slight on the trucks, just fact, but theres just a lack of understanding the fans. The other thing that is the dry garbage track, its your biggest pull and you cant find something who understands how to build a pulling track? The hook is in early august at 5pm and the track resembles the sahara desert. The show quality is crap, the heavy tractor classes on restrictor plates doing 10mph. However almost every NTPA hook the fans can get closer, better seating and the track allows for the iron thats there to put on the best show possible.

I would say that the NTPA has the better setup and crew, and unserstands the show aspect of the pull, but the PPL has better iron and less experience putting on a shows.

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 07, 2021 11:57PM
Just curious what is "lacking" at a PPL pull? I've been to Hillsboro, Ft. Recovery and last year to Farley, IA. I was very impressed with the quality of the PPL pulls. They have tons of top notch iron, shows were non-stop and very entertaining. Having gone to pulls since the early 80's I'd say the PPL crew does a great job.

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 08, 2021 12:23AM
Anytime Outlaws,PPL,or NTPA is within 250 miles of me I will try and attend their pulls if I can get away..All three put on a good show and you get your money's worth..I'm not in to this one association is better than another one..They all have their place in pulling and need the fans support..

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 08, 2021 02:15AM
Pulling Fan 2
The three events you mentioned are promoted by families that have been in the pulling game for decades so they know what it takes to put on a great show. Any time you go to a show that is the top level of any organization you are likley to see a well run good show.

I think some of the negative comments come from the shows that are state level and at the state level the amount of help that is available and the lack experience some of the help shows at times. That doesn't mean that they don't mean well or try to put on good shows put sometimes the resources just aren't there for them. Even at the RN level of the NTPA things can get spread pretty thin at times as they are running events 3 or 4 nights a week, people get tired and things slip through the cracks sometimes when you do that many shows night after night dealing with a different promoter at each event.

I know as a competitor I get into a routine of things I need to do to be ready for each event but inevitably there is a wrench thrown into the works that throws off my plans so I have improvise and I'm sure it's no different of the folks putting on the shows. I also forget things on occasion that mess up my plans, we're all human and have bad days. Promoters and event managers are no different than the rest of us they have good days and they have bad days.

S'no Farmer

Re: NTPA vs. PPL Fan Preference March 08, 2021 03:51AM
As a kid, my father takes me to a lot of tractor pulls. I've noticed from events and organizers and pullers and associations who is better or worse, and the pros and cons of it. I'm 100% all the way with NTPA, but I'm going to list the pros and cons of each association that I know of.

NTPA: Pros
1. Having the three biggest pulls, Tomah, Bowling Green, Rockwell
2. Offering more classes than PPL, cause they have UNLIMITED modifieds, DIESEL super stocks, and other classes I can't name off the top of my head.
3. Track prep: they bring in the most experienced people who know how to put a good pulling track together. They understand the nutrients and the way a track needs to be prepared.
4. Time management. NTPA knows how to keep a show moving when there is an injury or breakage by having the correct equipment ready to go at the right time.
Cons:
1. Purse: I've seen this thread talked about on every subject when comes down to each individual association. Yes, PPL brings out a better purse to the pullers, but NTPA just brings a better show. This is the number one reason why the NTPA has lost so much iron because they don't have good payment when it comes to the pullers.
2. Technical operations: from experience, I have noticed a lack of tech specs from a puller's point of view. A way to be a better association is to actually do what you say you are going to do, by teching everybody for water, fuel, turbo, hitch, roll cage, air shutoff, etc.
PPL: Pros
1. Purse: PPL knows how to pay their pullers, the reason being they also have the sponsors to go with it.
Cons:
1. Schedule: I have noticed from other schedules and times that like NTPA and OUTLAW, they like having two and three-day pulls, which pullers and spectators like to do. I was glad to see NTPA step away from six sessions at Tomah because people were tired and wanted to go home on Sunday. Yet, when I look at PPL, they always have only one, maybe two days of pulling, which spectators would like to see more of. This is excluding Hillsboro. I have also noticed that spectators like being able to talk and listen to the pullers more. Does anybody notice how PPL and OUTLAW don't have BG, Tomah, Chapel Hill, or Rockwell, and BG used to be USHRA?
OUTLAWS: Pros
1. Fans: The outlaws bring a lot of their time and attention to their fans because they know the people enjoy when a mod or pro stock can go 340 or 350 without breaking.
2. Limits: I am glad to see that the Outlaws enforce the rules when every pro stock or other truck and tractor has to run the same fuel, the same turbo make/model/size for 3 or 4 years.
Cons:
1. Schedule; The outlaws have WAY WAY TOO MANY pulls within a span of three to four months. Most of the pullers don't have all the time in the world to go to all of these places, especially when you have to go to Texas for two or three days, then in two days be at another pull in Nebraska.
2. Classes: The outlaws basically have their own thing going for them, but they need to get with the crowd when it comes to classes. I say this when I think about the pro stock class. To me, they are not good pro stocks, because they run a smaller charger, and just can't compete with the competitors in PPL and NTPA.

Summarizing these statements, all tractor pulling associations have their own pros and cons, and we have to accept them. I wish competitors and fans would comprehend that we don't all go to tractor pulls just for the money. THE MONEY IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT DEAL IN THE WORLD!!! Most competitors go to a tractor and truck pull for these reasons:
1. who has the better tractor/truck
2. what is the better brand.
3. Have some fun to get away from this crappy world and our crappy jobs.
4. See our home away from home families.

Let us all just enjoy tractor pulling while it is still alive and well, and get over it. Questions and concerns would be appreciated. Thank you.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,691, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member CBeard