PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 07:28AM
Can anyone tell me why you aren’t allowed a billet/aluminum blocks?? You can have recasted John Deere or ih block from 3 different company’s but can’t have a billet block for allies chalmers or ford? Specifically in super stock makes absolutely no since what so ever?

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 07:33AM
It took me many yrs to figure out and try to accept that Life is not fair, makes no sense like you say and many things in Life do not. Was told to believe, work hard and every thing would be fine and work out for the Best, many do, -- Many do not, Life's school of hard knocks proves more than book learning and so called Right way..

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 09:36AM
No clue on the answer to your question,....however from a fans perspective it would be great if all tractor classes had a mandatory rule to use the OEM color for their chosen block.Smoking It would basically force the cross dressers to lift their skirtsSpinning

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 10:43AM
I think if you allow billet blocks, why not just allow a MBR hemi (or whatever engine builder you prefer)? There has to be a line you draw at some point. That is why recast blocks should have never been allowed. At this point I guess you should just set a cube limit and let’s go, run whatever you want.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 12:59PM
Why do you think that, LSS Puller?

If you have to swing a stock crank, or stock bore spacing, the billet block should reduce the risk of putting a nice picture window in your block. On the other hand, it opens the door for people to find the next weakest link and spend money trying to find it. Pushing limits further causing those who either can't afford a billet block or just dont want one to fall further behind. I can see both sides of the debate here.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 01:55PM
To lss fan “if you allow billet blocks might as well allow hemis” is almost very irrelevant the fact that your allowed aftermarket recast which means it’s not factory and you can run a completely performance based block a recast (which has the same aspects of a billet block) and not at all allow a billet/aluminum Is asinine but agreed should have never allowed recast in lss but if it’s okay to do that it should be okay for billet. And to Just Askin the point of no return entered pulling from the beginning we wouldn’t be here today with this power if it wasn’t true. And the power will go up just like it has every year for the past 50 years the “next weakest link” motto means nothing at this point and time in pulling. We have billet or recast/strengthened everything everyone runs the same stuff no matter who it’s is there’s only a very few companies that if you want to be competitive you go to. It’s eventually going to end up who’s the best on the track that night who gets the gear weight and tires the right yes it takes power but when we all buy the same parts from the same few people dyno all winter to get that extra few hp it comes down to brains driving and experience .

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 03:13PM
So if ppl allows this then is every state organization supposed to allow it also? Just asking for a friend.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 03:12PM
Why did I get a thumbs down?

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 17, 2021 06:00PM
well well.... funny how this topic would come up... guess you have too have the right name and show too get what you want to win....

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 02:44AM
well well... question is would aluminum billet block weight less..rumor has it that ..yes there is an advantage on weight...rumor AGAIN I H ALUM blocks are only weighting 280.lbs rumor again ..and there out in circulation as we speak... now i wonder who has them for the lite super class...

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 12:13AM
I’ve been opposed to aftermarket blocks since the beginning, however that ship has sailed a long time ago. Now here we are with a class like the Diesel Super Stock that has been completely dominated by the Hypermax block since it was introduced. I don’t think there’s a single OEM IH block left in the Pro Stock class either. The OEM John Deere big blocks are hanging in there, but JD has aftermarket options also. Much (most) of the motor-sport is clearly accepting of aftermarket blocks.

What we are debating here is simply the manufacturing process and the material:
  • Should the motor-sport allow billet iron/steel blocks? If not why? Why is an aftermarket billet iron/steel block any different than an aftermarket cast block? Does the process of manufacturing change the block in some dramatic way? If it’s poured and pounded into an ingot and then machined is that somehow evil but if it’s poured into a sand casting and then machined it’s now completely fine? I guess I’m failing to see the logical argument against allowing a different manufacturing process. If someone has the financial means and technology to forge a block should that be allowed?
  • Should the motor-sport allow different materials for a block? Well, the short answer is it already does. The cast aftermarket blocks have already changed their formula from the OEM blocks. Whether it’s changing the nickel content or adding other elements it’s still a material change, an alloy change. You can argue that the change haven't been dramatic but that debate is subjective and a materials scientist might have a differing view. The current aftermarket block material has been optimized for the application. Most (ALL really) of the non-diesel motor-sports like drag racing have already optimized the material for aftermarket blocks, and the industry has chosen aluminum as their material of preference. Why not allow the optimum material for the non-diesel application.

The NTPA made the change to allow aftermarket billet aluminum blocks a couple of years ago and we haven’t seen any new level of dominance, infact there’s been no real difference at all. Nothing has changed. PPL has done a great job making sure their rules are fairly well aligned with the NTPA and I think it’s not a question of IF they make this rule change but rather just a question of WHEN they make this rule change. If we’re not seeing dominance then my question is why do they keep dragging their feet?

Again, I wasn’t a fan of the Hypermax block (or any other aftermarket block) and I’m not 100% sure it’s been a benefit to the sport (I think there were other solutions) but that’s a different argument and the horse is already out of the barn… now we’re just debating the manufacturing process and the materials and I’d love to hear a logical debate on either of those two issues.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 12:47AM
An Aluminum block is a hell of a lot easier to repair , that is a big upside.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 02:06AM
Would it have anything to do with movable weight ??? Whereas a puller with an aluminum block would have an advantage of more moveable weight? Or would the blocks be roughly they same weight by the time the aluminum is built heavy enough??

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 03:59AM
Clearly it would be lighter hence the name “aluminum” and it’s not like anybody couldn’t switch from a recast to aluminum how many recast blocks does one go threw? Recast can not be repaired like an aluminum block can be so right off the bat your putting your money and time in a better spot and not having to buy a new block if something happens.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 04:40AM
I didn't weigh the aluminum Ford block vs. the OEM Ford block myself so I can't say with 100% certainty about the difference. Also I don't remember the exact weight for the Ford block but I was told their aluminum block was not significantly lighter than the OEM Ford block because of the extra reinforcing that was needed for the weaker material.

My discussion isn't about the pros and cons of aluminum as a material for engine blocks... it definitely has a few benefits and a few drawbacks as well. My debate is about whether limiting the manufacturing process for aftermarket engine blocks makes sense. Is everyone cool with a billet or forged steel block or would that be a problem? It's also about how far do we go limiting the material... and does that extend to limiting certain steel/iron alloys as well? What are the boundaries?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 18, 2021 02:55PM
My discussion isn't about the pros and cons of aluminum as a material for engine blocks... it definitely has a few benefits and a few drawbacks as well. My debate is about whether limiting the manufacturing process for aftermarket engine blocks makes sense. Is everyone cool with a billet or forged steel block or would that be a problem? It's also about how far do we go limiting the material... and does that extend to limiting certain steel/iron alloys as well? What are the boundaries?

I agree with that Jake. There are no boundaries because there is no spec and no one wants to make one. You know what I mean.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 19, 2021 01:04AM
The problem with that thinking is when someone makes some thing new AND WINS, THEN THERE IS A LIMIT . The issue only comes up when a new item is on Top the podium.

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 19, 2021 02:50AM
I don't know if lighter engines are needed cause i hear some guys saying already that its a push to add enough weight in the right places.. I can see getting to a certain point to where you don't have enough built in weight and we are already pushing the power to weight ratios pretty hard in most classes... And have we maxed out the current components on weight savings yet ??? It does warrant a deeper look and research ....

Re: PPL Aluminum block rule March 19, 2021 02:51AM
Cummins makes 5.9 Aluminium blocks for boats

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,780, Posts: 229,961, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,044.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009